“very disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riva

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Venice
Hotel Riva
Ranked #320 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Sandpoint, Idaho
“very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

We booked a corner room with canal view. A day before our scheduled arrival we received an e mail advising us that due to flooding problems we were changed to an inside room. Upon our arrival we asked to see the room before checking in. The clerk made no secret about how put out he was that we would have the audacity to make such a request. The room was large and very nicely furnished though it lacked even a single chair much less a desk or table at which one might write. The bath was quite small. The towels were thin and seemingly made of sandpaper. The bed was adequate but the pillows were as hard as rocks. In the morning I went to the breakfast room expecting to use the included wifi and have the included breakfast. I asked for the internet password in my best though admittedly not very good italian. The clerk scribbled something down on a scrap of paper but it did not work as a password when I went to her for clarification she irritatingly spoke to me in very rapid Italian. While I understand Italian to a limited degree I could not make sense of her. This irritated her even more and she showed me the way to a coffee shop around the corner where she said we'd be having breakfast. We received coffee and a croissant and no internet. I u derstand how a hotel can have a problem but the attitude of the staff was intolerable. The two bed bug bites I received on my first night in Venice were an unwelcome bonus.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dennis m

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

I have stayed two times in Hotel Riva and enjoyed both visits very much. Very close to the boats and thus moving through crowds with luggage is a small task. The hotel is tucked away so do your homework in finding out where it is. It will surprise you how very close it is to Piazza San Marco and yet how quiet your room is. Yes, many of the rooms were small -in March 2009, I traveled with my brother and we had singles- but during my recent visit, May 2011, I was with husband and 2 other couples and so we had 3 doubles. Those rooms are a nice size.The staff is most accomodating and friendly. Okay, there is no lift and the breakfast is minimal however I have been in Venice seven times since 2001 but enjoyed my stay at Hotel Riva more than any other hotel. I am planning another trip for 2012 and hope to find open rooms for that trip.

Room Tip: I would advise choosing the option of a canal view. The light and view add to one's enjoyment.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JudithW W
Metropolis, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

I stayed two nights at the Riva with two sisters. We went to the hotel from the train station by vaporetto and followed Rick Steves' directions, so it was easy to find. Just be sure you get the vaporetto in the direction toward St. Mark's. The hotel is quite close to St. Mark's Square. We are senior citizens, so the lovely marble stairs, even with our small suitcases, were a challenge. However, when we got to our room, it was worth it. The view out the window of the canals and the gondoliers made me feel like I truly was in Venice. The room was not large, but it was adequate. The furnishings were attractive and the room and bathroom were clean. I thought the Riva was a lovely, small hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank BKB629
Redlands, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

Hotel Riva is in a good location and the staff was courteous and friendly. The room we had was on the 4th floor and it was difficult carrying luggage up four flights of stairs (no elevator). It was also warm and humid when we visited so I was drenched after that exercise. The room was tiny. We shared a common bathroom with three other rooms. It is not air conditioned but they did provide a fan. The room overlooked one of the canals; this was fun but also added to the noise as power boats also use the canals. My wife and I like more comfort and something less rigourous. At 100 euro, however, it was a bargain for Venice. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Choose one of their air conditioned rooms and on the lowest floor possible; preferably first floor...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Yucaipa, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Great location close to St. Marks right on a canal.Our room was huge, but others in the group were average except for the shower door which was very small.There is no lift so get ready for stairs, and breakfast is nothing special,but for the price your paying, enjoy a role and a few cappuccinos and have a great dinner. Also staff is very helpful!

Room Tip: Get room with air,its the same price and needed in summer.Also bargain with taxi drivers,prices are...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank arcoccia
Clifton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

Our stay in Venice was made that much more enjoyable by our perfect room with a view at the Hotel Riva. The location is ideal, truly in the middle of things while being tucked away on a little corner where two canals converge. The two canals must be on the main gondola track as we were regularly serenaded by the musicians going by our window. We were very fortunate to have a corner room over the canals, the views were just perfect! Our friends at home cannot believe the photos we have taken from our hotel windows. The furnishings of the hotel are eclectic and anitque, and our room, while small, was clean and quiant. Our only complaint would be the rolls and coffee offered at breakfast, not so good. Skip it and realize that given the reasonable price of the hotel, you're getting a deal.

For us, the location and view are key We are aware that given the age of the city, there will most likely be stairs to climb, but we requested a room on the first floor and only had one flight to climb. Request it if you just can't be bothered climbing stairs or have someone in your party who might have difficulty.

Hotel Riva was a great Venice find with perfect location and views that cannot be beat! We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Request a corner room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ana L
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

This is a cute hotel very close to St. Marc's square. The location was perfect. The hotel staff and owners were wonderful. The rooms were very clean, with comfy beds. We had requested a/c but didn't get it. There was a fan in the room and the nights were cool enough for sleeping, so this didn't end up being a huge problem. "Breakfast" was water bread with butter and jam. Come to find out, all the bread in Venice is like this for some reason. Oh, well. On the upside, there was great coffee and lots of it! We would certainly stay here again. You can get up in the morning and have coffee while watching gondoliers row their way past you. Bliss!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family