“Charming, beautiful, with the essence of Venezia.”
Review of Hotel Riva

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Venice
Hotel Riva
Ranked #315 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This place is so charming, great value for what you pay. We emailed the hotel directly and requested a corner room on the third floor for the best views. Gondoleros and water taxis go by all day but nights are quiet so no trouble sleeping. Beautiful marble floors, exposed wood beams above and friendly staff. Breakfast is simple but tasty, seating area is very welcoming, with windows that overlook busy canal. In the mornings it was fun to watch boats delivering produce, fuel, supplies, and more while we drank our coffee.

When trying to find the hotel, it can be a little tricky to find, if you're taking a water taxi or vaporetto from train station, go to St Mark's Square, walk underneath clock and make your first right. then walk down a few steps past little shops and restaurants make left cross the tiny ponte del angelo and there it is. Hotel also has quick access to Rialto bridge area...

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel to all. Just try to email the hotel beforehand so you can request a room with a good view.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank dakresimmons

Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed two nights at the Riva in a third floor room with a view of one of the main gondola canals.We could lie in our bed and listen to the gondoliers singing and playing. Great atmosphere.Our room was small but cozy and clean. No elevator so you will need to lug your bags. The bathroom had a full shower and was adequately sized. The hotel staff was welcoming but spoke limited English. A simple breakfast was served in a pleasant room downstairs off of reception. The hotel is a few blocks behing St. Marks Square in the maze of old streets. The streets are confusing and you can spend a lot of time looking for the Riva. Therefore, print the map off the hotel website. Rick Steves' Italy book also has good directions based on land marks. Very near lots of shops and restaurants and not very far from the Rialto Bridge.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Richard W
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Had a great experience at this hotel. Our room was on the second floor and had a window that looked out onto the canal. I needed a hair dryer and they were more than happy to loan me one. The room was a good size and was comfortable. The hotel was super close to St. Mark's and really was in a great location for exploring the city.

Room Tip: A higher room might be a tad quieter. We were close to the canal (second floor), which is great if...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank paigef19
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Fourth time at the riva, always a nice place to stay; fab location and the lady who runs the place is lovely. Was undergoing a refurb when we were there so we stayed the first night at some apartment a few metres from the main hotel. Breakfast was in a nearby cafe which was ok, except for being mugged for €7 for an orange juice "that isn't included in the breakfast".

Still, once it's refurbed and doing their own breakfasts again we'll be back for out fifth visit.

• Stayed: October 2011
6  Thank DigitalPlumber1
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We took the water bus from the airport to St. Marks. It was easy to find the hotel using the map that we had printed out from their web site. We arrived at the hotel early in the morning and were instructed to leave our luggage right there in the lobby while we went out to see the city. And it was fine. We had to carry our bags up several floors as there is no elevator but we were rewarded with a corner room overlooking two canals. There were three large windows that opened to the most fabulous views. It is what you travel to Venice to experience. Gondolas, water taxis, singing, accordions playing. Just wonderful. It is close to St. Marks Square with lots of shops and restaurants. There was plenty of hot water in the rather small bathroom. You must go downstairs to use the internet. There is a small breakfast served in the morning that consists of American style coffee (that was a good thing for us) and bread with Nutella. Not a bad way to start the day. The room is charming with a Merano glass chandelier and breezes flowing in those wonderful windows but unfortunately the beds leave a lot to be desired. That would not keep me from staying here or recommending it to others, just letting you know.

Room Tip: I didn't go into any other rooms but we loved the corner room on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank KentuckyCathy
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We booked a corner room with canal view. A day before our scheduled arrival we received an e mail advising us that due to flooding problems we were changed to an inside room. Upon our arrival we asked to see the room before checking in. The clerk made no secret about how put out he was that we would have the audacity to make such a request. The room was large and very nicely furnished though it lacked even a single chair much less a desk or table at which one might write. The bath was quite small. The towels were thin and seemingly made of sandpaper. The bed was adequate but the pillows were as hard as rocks. In the morning I went to the breakfast room expecting to use the included wifi and have the included breakfast. I asked for the internet password in my best though admittedly not very good italian. The clerk scribbled something down on a scrap of paper but it did not work as a password when I went to her for clarification she irritatingly spoke to me in very rapid Italian. While I understand Italian to a limited degree I could not make sense of her. This irritated her even more and she showed me the way to a coffee shop around the corner where she said we'd be having breakfast. We received coffee and a croissant and no internet. I u derstand how a hotel can have a problem but the attitude of the staff was intolerable. The two bed bug bites I received on my first night in Venice were an unwelcome bonus.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dennis m
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I have stayed two times in Hotel Riva and enjoyed both visits very much. Very close to the boats and thus moving through crowds with luggage is a small task. The hotel is tucked away so do your homework in finding out where it is. It will surprise you how very close it is to Piazza San Marco and yet how quiet your room is. Yes, many of the rooms were small -in March 2009, I traveled with my brother and we had singles- but during my recent visit, May 2011, I was with husband and 2 other couples and so we had 3 doubles. Those rooms are a nice size.The staff is most accomodating and friendly. Okay, there is no lift and the breakfast is minimal however I have been in Venice seven times since 2001 but enjoyed my stay at Hotel Riva more than any other hotel. I am planning another trip for 2012 and hope to find open rooms for that trip.

Room Tip: I would advise choosing the option of a canal view. The light and view add to one's enjoyment.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple