“Better than ever”

Ranked #53 of 386 Hotels in Venice
brooklyn
“Better than ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at Al Piave for the 4th time in April 2011 for the 4th time. I can truly say that this hidden Venetian gem's stay was better than ever. The Hotel is beautifully kept, spotlessly cleaned, and the breakfast is the best I have ever had anywhere in Europe. The owners and staff genuinly care for there clientell. I hope my next trip to venice is soon so we can stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Asheville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

We had the top floor room in the annex across the street. It had a private terrace, and since it was several floors above street level, the room was extremely quiet. When you combine that with a a very efficient air conditioning unit, you have an excellent place to retreat from the heat and the crowds during the afternoon. The room was completely clean and the bathroom was modern. The wi-fi worked great.

The breakfast was the best we've encountered in Italy -- by far. They have all the breads and pastries you usually find, but they also have meat and hot scrambled eggs. You leave the table feeling like you've actually had a real meal. They present it very attractively and keep it replenished during their breakfast hours.

The staff -- from the managers to the housekeepers -- seem like very nice, friendly people. This was our second trip to this hotel. Both of our experiences there have been extremely positive. When we make our next trip to Venice, this hotel will be our base.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OtherMountainDude
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

Venice was our first stop in our 2 week tour of Italy. We arrived at midnight and found our way to the hotel. The room was tiny but this is standard for any hotel in Venice. It was relatively expensive compared to the other hotels we stayed in Italy however this is again because of Venice. What I can definelty say is that the service was excellent and the location was perfect! 5 mins away from the Rialto bridge and about 7 mins away from San Marco square, could not have planned for anything better in terms of location. If you are in Venice for a short stay, i.e 1 or 2 days, this is a great place to stay.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

The hotel was great! Our room and bathroom were both very small, but cozy. The AC worked great compared to other hotels in Italy. The location was convenient and having someone at the desk 24/7 was nice. Claudio was especially wonderful and extremely helpful!!! The breakfast was really good. They will make you a cappuccino upon request and even serve eggs if desired. Great hotel and we will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelLoverACG
Keene Valley, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

New to Venice, hotel picked out of webpage, and arriving at night - how not to start a stay in Venice!

So after finding my way in the dusk, along tiny alleys and canals, I was overjoyed when I ended up at the right address! In fact, I almost missed the sign hanging from the building. Exhausted, I was delighted by the friendly staff (Claudio) who calmly completed my registration while I rambled on about my travails.

My suite of rooms was up in a garret, overlooking the small courtyard, with wonderful airy windows, a full kitchen and bath, washer, tv, and bedroom. Tiny - but perfect. I so wanted to stay there for a month! So cozy!

This suite of rooms is probably best for one or two people who are sufficiently fit to climb three flights of stairs - but well worth it. Very quiet area in September. Hotel rooms are scattered among the old buildings adjacent or near by.

What I loved, too, was this hotel is located in the area where the locals live. Loved seeing the children go off to their first day at school and watched the families gathered in the piazza in the afternoon so that the children could play among the statues and the parents could socialize.

The hotel is in an area where you can walk to something interesting in each direction.

Room Tip: Be friendly with the staff!
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank DenneKV
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

Had a double room and it was a typical European room. Bathroom was small but average and had a sink, shower, toilet, and bidet. The view was terrible. It was of a small street that had wripped flyers on the walls. There were no darkening shades in the room, so it was always light in the room, even in the middle of the night. From St. Mark's Square, the location is a 5 minute walk (if you can find it). We got lost everytime we tried to find the hotel. We wanted to check out a day early and the owners didn't want to let us. Our only saviour was that we booked through booking.com and not directly through the hotel. The owners told us we were lucky that we booked through booking.com and not through them, because they would have made us pay for our planned 3 nights and not just 2. (The fact that the owners said that to us put a bad taste in our mouth. Why would she say that?) The breakfast was the only plus side. It was good and plentiful, and they made cappucinos, macchiatos, etc. to order. The downside is that it is the same breakfast each day. Not a big deal for us only there for 2 nights, but it might be an issue if you stay for a week. Reflecting back, I would have preferred to pay $50 more per night and get a hotel on a canal with a view.

3 Thank bsharynu
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

I had the opportunity to stay at Hotel Al Piave, April 21-24 2011. I was extremely pleased from Check-In until Check-Out. The staff at the front desk and at the Breakfast Bar were extremely friendly. I really appreciated the fact that they notifiied me upon check-in that I would have to move on my last night. There were so many positve things at the hotel that outweighed the inconvenience of having to move rooms. Their Breakfast Bar was a big PLUS and a great way to get started. Breakfast was very complete with plenty of options to choose from. Wireless internet access was another PLUS. When I mentioned that I needed an electric adapter for my PC, the front desk clerk quickly offered an adapter for me to use. I would return to Al Piave anytime.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo