“Stepping Back in time” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #146 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Stepping Back in time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed here for my birthday and it is like stepping back in time. It's very quaint. The room we had was quite bijou and compact but very clean. The one negative for me was the bed was very soft so both my husband and I ended up with a bad back but soft beds suit some people so might not worry them. The staff were helpful and also gave me a bottle of wine for my birthday!! Having wifi was great and didn't have any problems connecting or using. Continental Breakfast is very basic but it is a small hotel. Quite happy to recommend a stay here and will certainly stay here when we return to Venice.

Room Tip: have been told that rooms in the annex are nicer and bigger
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

So it was clean. Breakfast was not so great. The location was good, but be prepared to walk to all the main sights. Finding the hotel was an adventure in itself. If you stay here and come in from the train, take the water taxi for 7 euro and get off at the d`oro stop. Its so much easier than dragging your bags through the streets.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ellen S
Royal Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed here in June of 2014. A family of 8, we stayed in the annex and rented out 3 rooms. A triple and two doubles. All had air conditioning and their own bathroom. The rooms were large and comfortable. If you are planning on working though, this is not the place for you as the wi-fi did not work well. In general we all sat in the hallway most of the night to get a signal, and one night it went down completely. The breakfast was a cute little continental type thing, though don't get there late or there is not much left.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kristina H
Hotel Bernardi S, Manager at Hotel Bernardi Semenzato, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
When too many computers are connecting, it could happen that we have to reset the wifi starter in our annex.
It is possible to ask for the reset at the reception,or to use the wifi in the main lobby,wich never have problems.
We are now working to get the signal stronger in the annex ,an additional wifi sistem will be installed soon.
Alessandro
Reception desk
Provo, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I would stay here again and recommend this hotel. I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. It was very clean, spacious and beautifully decorated. The location was perfect. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful.The room was in the annex part of the hotel. It overlooked the canals on 2 sides.

• Stayed June 2014
Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We just returned from our adventures in Italy. We are a mother and two adult children on our first visit to Europe. We had a lovely room with three beds and bath. It was comfortable, quiet, very clean, just perfect for us. The location was perfect. The breakfast was nothing to brag about so we went elsewhere. Santinia was so sweet, she was very helpful and kind, a pleasure to know. Cheers to Alessandro, Leonardo and Teresa for a lovely, comfortable Italy home away from home. I highly recommend the Hotel Bernardi!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had stayed here before five years ago and was looking at a hostel for this solo trip. I managed to find a single room with a shared bath and no AC at Bernardi Semenzato for CHEAPER than one bed in a dorm. SOLD.

Firstly, I was there the first four nights in June. It was already warm. The no AC (and no fan either) would definitely be a problem in the height of summer.

I was upgraded to a double room (room 19), at no extra cost, which was lovely! However, my room was on the ground floor and the window looked into a little courtyard of the kitchen next door. There was a small window below the main window that was not covered by a curtain or blind. Basically some random chef could see me getting changed. Once I realised, I changed in a dfferent part of the room, but this would be easily fixed with a longer blind.

The shared bath was never a problem. I never had to wait to use the toilet or the shower. I was on the ground floor and there was also a toilet on that level, but I had to go upstairs to use the shower. Not the biggest problem, though, as I had read a review about this being a possibility.

The shower was great, warm and good pressure.

Location was pretty much perfect. Faultless.

Staff were nice. I didn't catch the womans name (blonde hair), but she was just fantastic. Always very helpful and willing to have a chat. Beautiful woman!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank J e c
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Four of us shared a room and Hotel Bernardi was the most accommodating when it came to making arrangements for us...
We were a bit disappointed not to be in the main hotel, but rather the "annex". It was fine. Four single beds and lots of room to swing a cat.
No one warned us about the mosquito situation, unfortunately, we were absolutely eaten alive in November. I don't know what the solution could be, but it was too stuffy with the windows closed.
Breakfast was disappointing, coffee (in Italy?!) was dreadful. We were there a week and it wasn't until the end that we finally decided to head out to find breakfast, rather than waste a meal in Venice in this hotel.
Overall, I'm not sure we'd come back, but it was cheap and it was well located, the staff were friendly and it was in Venice!

Room Tip: I don't know what the rooms are like in the main hotel, perhaps they have the mosquito situation...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends