“A Perfect Location!”
Review of Hotel Bucintoro

Hotel Bucintoro
Ranked #17 of 388 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Hotel Bucintoro was an ideal place to stay for our 2-day stay in Venice. The hotel is situated right on the water, looking out over the beautiful lagoon and the city of Venice. From the window of your hotel room you can look out on St. Mark's Square. Rooms were clean and relatively spacious, breakfast in the morning was wonderful. The staff there was so very friendly and helpful -- you can ask them anything and they will take care of it! From tips regarding where to eat to arranging transportation.

The best part of it for us was the location -- It was away from the crowded, noisy main section of Venice. However, there will still various little restaurants and shops around us, so it was by no means isolated. After enjoying a day walking, shopping, and eating, it was nice to come back to our quiet little hotel. Yet it was about a 10 min walk to St. Mark's Square, so you could be right in the "heart" of Venice in no time.

Do not hesitate to book this place -- we were so happy we did! It was a perfect start for our trip to Italy!

2  Thank Rena B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,596)

Reviewed 6 July 2012

My 20 year old son and I spent 5 nights at the Bucintoro in late June. Our junior sweet was lovely, immaculately clean, and comfortable. The exquisite view of the grand canal was icing on the cake. The front desk and breakfast room staffs provided impeccable service, answering questions, offering directions and making dinner reservations. Breakfast was perfect -- good hot coffee, beautiful fruit, eggs and pastries. We couldn't have been more pleased with the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ewellis
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Sadly I didn't get the chance to experience this hotel as our 'experience' was less than satisfying from the very start.

As a keen traveller I always plan ahead and spend hours searching all the websites and advice sights for the right hotel - as we all do on this site I feel??!!?? So after all this planning I didn't want to loose out on getting the hotel I had chosen for our first night in Venice to slip through my fingers, so made a booking some 9mths before.

After a long journey and an early start we were so pleased to arrive at our destination on a warm and sunny afternoon. However, what I had never expected was to be greeted by the Manager (?) at reception saying the dreaded words "I have good news and bad news"!! Long and the short of it was that they had over-booked (so much for the booking 9mths ahead to save disappointment!) and he had booked us into another hotel along the way.

Two top tips for this chap on future over-booking is:
1/ Tell your guests (although we never actually were your guests) that you have booked them into a better hotel and with a better room grade than they had booked with you.
2/ Get your bell-boys to carry your guests brand new luggage with care over the bridges and cobbled streets rather than bang them up & down them using two wheels instead of the four!

You can probably picture the scene, we were taken to the new hotel over 3/4 bridges following the bell-boys bashing our suitcases along the way and funny old thing, my suitcase lost a wheel and they looked at me as if it was my fault! (this caused such hassle for the rest of our holiday as my husband had to carry it most of the time after that).

The good news is that the Metropole Hotel they moved us to was excellent and we had a Junior Suite instead of the Classic Room we had booked with them. The only disappointment again is that we had booked (9mths in advance) a lagoon view room and were around the side at the Metropole. Other details were probably greatly improved, although we will never know............!

Only advice here is to hope to get what you paid for but hey you might be pleasantly surprised and end up with something better! Just expect the unexpected and carry your own luggage!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank AiryTraveller
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The Hotel Bucintoro was a great find! We stayed for 4 nights in May 2012. The hotel is located at the edge of a residential neighborhood, which means that the area surrounding the hotel is quiet and not trampled by tourists. Most tourists will make it as far as the souvenir carts a few bridges away and then turn around. The staff was welcoming, helpful, and friendly, the room was clean and comfortable, and the cold breakfast was filling and tasty. I am quite sure that we had the best hotel room in all of Venice. The room was smaller than expected, but still large enough to not feel cramped. What the room lacked in size, it made up for with the amazing view. We had exclusive access to the private rooftop terrace, which we enjoyed for several hours each evening, sipping wine and watching the boats go by until sunset. We are sure our experience in Venice would have been much different if we did not have this particular room in this wonderful hotel and we are sure that it would not have been nearly as memorable!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelBug0313
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We were delighted with our stay.
The room was not huge, but was furnished in a classy, understated fashion, and was spotlessly clean.
Views were stupendous;if you've got an iphone just stand outside the hotel as the sun goes down, and compare your view of San Giorgio Maggiore across the water, with the painting of the view as done by Monet!
Staff were friendly, polite, and very helpful, from cleaning and catering staff, through to desk service.
The area around the Hotel was a big hit with us; Castello in mid June was lively and fun, but not swamped with tourists. There was a nice mix of Venetians, Italians and other nationalities in the local restaurants, and we never felt rushed or hassled in this part of Venice.
Vaporetto stop was really close to the Hotel, so travelling around this gorgeous, fascinating city could not have been easier.
Good breakfast, nice bathroom, comfortable, firm beds, and decent air conditioning.
Thoroughly recommended, and will be returning again next year.

4  Thank snakevenom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for 3 or 4 nights in April. It was perfect. The staff were friendly, the room was cool, sure it was smallish but the location was wonderful and there was a little aura of magic about the place. Perhaps we got a deal on the place but I think a few things worked in our favor; visiting Venice before the tourist season hit full on, buying a multi-day pass for the water bus, finding a small bar that served generous Spritz drinks in the evening time, being able to jog with the locals around the Castello neighborhood, the weather - not too hot not too cold! I left saying that I have to come back. To the Bucintoro

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael K
Reviewed 22 June 2012

The Bucintora is a total gem of a hotel. It is located right on the waterfront of the lagoon and is just a quick 10-min walk to all the hustle and tourist bustle of St. Marks square. It is located in the wonderful Castello neighborhood. Who say's Venice is just an island of tourists and that all the true Venetians left long ago? The Castello district around the corner from the Bucintoro was beautiful, clean, quiet, filled with locals and devoid of the tourist throngs. The hotel is very charming with an old world nautical theme. Views are stunning. Rooms are kinda small but elegantly appointed. Breakfast was lovely and served in a gorgeous room. Location was stellar! The price to stay here is an exceptional value for a quality hotel in pricey Venice. Venice is fantastic. When I return, and trust me I will, I will head straight for the Bucintoro. The staff couldn't be nicer. Free internet available for those who don't travel with a computer. Their is a fantastic Naval Museum right next door that has 3 floors of exhibits and costs just 1.50 euro to visit. Don't miss it. The other tip is Burano Island, not Murano. This island of brightly painted canal houses is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited.

1  Thank MisterBespoke