“First timer to Venice, Good location and very clean!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Casa Verardo - Residenza D'Epoca

Hotel Casa Verardo - Residenza D'Epoca
Ranked #79 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Worthing, United Kingdom
“First timer to Venice, Good location and very clean!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a three night visit to Venice. It was my first trip to Venice and co-incided with the festival/carnival acitviites of February which was very exciting. It is a genuinely friendly city and it was such a pleasant change to be in a place not ruled by mobile phones and beeping! If you need that, be warned, wifi access is difficult to find outside of hotels (thankfully). The hotel I stayed at was in a great location, it will only take you 5 minutes to get to San Marco square on foot. Even with that though, when I return to Venice, as I surely will, I would not stay here again. There are literally hundreds of town house hotels throughout Venice and much as mine was clean and pleasant, it didn't do or have anything 'special' to make me want to return. I was looking forward to a 'friendly' stay having read reviews before I went but to be honest, I didn't really feel that welcome. The room was very small and although that is often the case in city hotels we had a twin room but the two beds had to be next to each other and actually looked like a double bed because there was no other space. I didn't even use the wardrobe because you had to move a bedside table to get to it!

On the plus side though, and this is important for me, the bathroom was very spacious, warm and had good water pressure (I have long curly hair so it's a must!). There are good wall radiators too in case you need to dry clothing (from getting wet in rain or floods!). There are mirrors in the bathroom, although they steam up as there is poor ventilation. The bedroom did not have any mirrors at all. Plug sockets are very few and far between. Also, there are signs asking you not to put luggage on the beds and to use the luggage rack and there is only one small luggage rack in the room as there is no space to have another one so this doesn't work well! There is a mini bar in the room which if you wanted too, you could put a couple of cans or bottle of wine in to chill but you really won't be staying in this hotel room for any length of time, it is just too small!

The bedrooms are very noisey, we constantly had noise from the rooms above and next to us.

The breakfast is very basic and I preferred to find a small deli / cafe nearby and enjoy some wonderful delicacies. The hotel has cereals, yoghurts, toast, one criossant (allocated by the waiter although the rest is buffet style) and bread rolls. There is sliced cheese, sliced ham and butters/jams. The tea is ok but the coffee is truly disgusting - I actually don't know what it is, but it's not coffee! There are also a couple of jugs of varying juices.

Finally, the following is nothing to do with the hotel but about my experience of travelling to Venice for the first time!

For anyone else travelling for the first time to Venice and who may be confused by connections from the airport etc, rest assured, it is all so easy and straightforward. You land, come through customs, turn to your left and about 100m on your left hand side you will see the ticket desks for boat tickets. This is inside the airport terminal building. Buy the tickets you need, you can make savings by buying a return ticket. You then walk out of the main arrivals building (there is an entrance directly opposite the boat ticket office) and as you walk out you will see on the left hand side a pathway which has a white canopy covering over it, stretching into the distance. This is the pathway you take down to the boats. If it’s raining, you keep dry and if its sunny, you keep shaded! The boats then whizz you off to your destination. The boat tickets are ‘one price’ regardless of your stop when you are on the airport boats. There are numerous stops. I was getting off at San Zaccaria – I don’t know about the other stops but at mine there were people who will help you to your hotel and carry luggage for you if you want. I didn’t use the services but spoke to people who had. Just arrange the Euro price with them BEFORE you give them your bags and start following them. If you don’t agree the price first, you can’t be surprised what they make up for a price later! Most hotels are within a 5 minute walk of where you stop and I had asked my hotel for directions from the boat stop which, even though through winding streets etc, was very clear and easy to follow. Some of bigger hotels have boat stops right outside so you will not need to do anything other than ‘get off!’

Now, I knew that Venice has canals and I knew that in 2012 it flooded very badly and so what I am about to say may make me look a fool, but, for the benefit of any other fools out there, here goes. I did not realise that Venice regularly floods and that if you are out of your hotel when this happens, there is a strong possibility that you too will have to wade through water that is over your knees (and I’m 5ft 10!). Most surprising of all is that the people at the hotel made no mention of this too us and neither did the staff in the restaurant that we were eating in when it started to happen. The only reason we knew what was about to happen and rapidly moved to get back to the hotel (still getting caught in water over our knees though, it rises very quickly!) was because we overhead a conversation in the Salvador Dali exhibition we had been to that day – otherwise we would have been in even greater trouble than just ruined boots! Whilst we were there it coincided with ‘high tides’. For us, that meant at around 10pm the streets would start to flood, we went to a restaurant that was virtually next door to our hotel that night and thank goodness we did! We saw water starting to lap into the square and quickly paid our bill. By the time it had been paid the water was coming into the restaurant and the side street we had to go down already had 30cm of water it in. It was freezing (well it’s winter time!) and rises very fast. Our hotel was only a 2 minute walk away and we moved as fast as we could with water rising very quickly. I did not appreciate how quickly it could happen. Anyone out with buggies or difficulties with movement would have been in real trouble. The next day, we were of course better prepared and it didn’t cause us any problems but the thing is, no one highlights this, which seems very strange. Maybe they are so used to living with it and they think we all ‘somehow’ know. Anyway, thought I’d mention it for others who may not be aware. The water had all subsided by the next morning and all premises are so used to dealing with it they are all mopped out and ready for action again, just a faint sewage smell lingers a little but soon clears. Whatever happens, do not let this put you off Venice, its an amazing place and you must go. I shall certainly return.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank RCB6219

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

This place is not the cheapest, but is no means the most expensive either for what you get. A cute room (not too chintzy) lovely breakfast, an area outdoors for eating overlooking the canal, an area downstairs in the garden for drinks, and right in the centre by the main square. its a lovely place and the staff are so friendly and helpful and accommodating. Would go back in a flash and stay there.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the rooms on the canal.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank virginia d
Kerikeri, NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

We had booked at a B&B and found it cold and very basic. When we found this delight we didn't think twice about moving - in the off season it is so super affordable. We had a junior suite with stunning marble bathroom, huge twin beds (traveling with my Mum :)), venetian chandelier and gorgeous red drapes in the spacious room that overlooked a quiet canal and had working window shutters. The staff were friendly and very helpful and the continental breakfast was more than adequate. A communal PC was on our floor with free access included in our room rate. We really enjoyed this hotel and would definitely return. Was super close to San Marco Piazza and convenient to Degli Schiavoni along the waterfront. The only negative was some inter-room noise from the bathroom on the third floor above.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Katie S
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

Oh my, I've never had such a bad hotel experience ever...

1. Room was inside the breakfast area. When I say inside, the door was literally opening in the breakfast area. The kitchen was between our room and the room next door, which translated in significant noise from 6:30am of plates being set up, cheery dialogues in Italian between the staff, etc. This was to say the least deceitful, as upon being shown into the room, we requested to be changed as it was clear this was going to be a very very noisy room (note we live in London, on a main street, however this was still too much). We were assured however that the room is insulated, which was a sheer lie!

2. Bathroom was filthy, the toilet dirty and really dusty & mouldy.

3. Room lights didn’t work, they didn’t switch off, which resulted in having to call the night shift staff. Incredibly, their first response was “I can switch the main power supply off, you only plan to sleep?”

4. More minor, but still significant in a hotel of supposedly high standards, the room was dirty, TV remote was not working, bed sheets were scruffy and torn in areas, air-conditioning loud and smelly.

5. Upon checking out we found that the hotel has a line of further illegal, substandard practices where our personal and financial information could be exploited by these scammers. When we had initially booked via booking.com, we had received an email from the hotel stating that the card we had used was not accepted by them. We called and provided another card, however upon check out, we discovered that not only they were accepting the initial card & they charged it but they had further kept the full details of the 2nd card. We had since contacted booking that stated that this is illegal on their behalf and has cautioned them.

Proceed with extreme caution, these guys are supremely capable to not only ruin your holiday, but also scam you beyond imagination.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joanna_Travels
CasaVerardo, General Manager at Hotel Casa Verardo - Residenza D'Epoca, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
Dear Guest,

we were astonished in reading such a fit of rage, offensive, slanderous, false, misrepresenting and damaging feedback and we are astonished as well that Tripadvisor published such an offensive review and we want to firmly report it to them as inappropriate to their guidelines.

1 - First of all I wish to defend and safeguarding the reputation of the Casa Verardo as well as the great job done by all the hotel’s staff that made the Casa Verardo that is open since one century one of the most chosen hotels in Venice.

2 - With regard to the room you booked please remind as soon as you complained at the reception, you were promptly kindly offered due to your temper to upgrade to a deluxe room on the top floor and to stay for free that night on the condition that you would had checked out the following day. You actually were happy with that and then you decided to stay and to not check out and you were satisfied with this.

3 – With regard to the cleanness, tidiness and very good and fresh conditions of the room and of all the hotel please check all other reviews on Tripadvisor.

4 – With regard to your booking procedure, the hotel was furnished by you with a credit card that was not chargeable thus we kindly asked you to furnish us with a different one to guarantee your reservation. This is a normal procedure in all the hotels all over the word.

Further if you had checked Booking.com’s conditions, you should have been aware the Hotel has to contact the guest in case the furnished credit card does not operate.

Yours faithfully

The General Manager
California/Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

After a wonderful stay a few years ago and repeated recommendations to others, the Casa Verardo disappointed us on a recent visit. One cannot quibble with its excellent (and quiet) location minutes from the San Zaccaria vaporetto stop across a tiny bridge in the the Castello quarter and the building itself is lovely and well maintained. Despite these pluses and the excellent staff, attention to details was lacking. The shower was moldy and the shower head functioned poorly along with the shower door which resulted in a large puddle on the floor. No kleenex, a very dirty glass and only one pair of slippers for a double should not occur at any price. Breakfast did not include fresh bread (unless you like the freshly baked "wonder buns"); it did include fruit cocktail (to be banned!) and packaged crackers, etc. The croissants were gluey and delivered by the table staff...two only....along with the coffee pot with a damaged spout so that at the end of breakfast the tablecloth was badly stained. This was an excellent property with a fantastic value/price ratio but management is either cutting costs or needs to recalibrate its attention to details and the supervision of cleaning staff. We feel we lost our dependable choice in Venice.

Room Tip: Room 303 is very quiet with a view over the rooftops but the shower does not function well.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LaBernardi
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

We moved to this hotel at the end of a tour that stayed in another hotel that was too pricey for us to book an additional night in Venice. Casa Verado was a delightful, adorable hotel. It was easy to find with the directions on their website and we walked from our previous hotel on the Grand Canal. The location made it easy to walk everywhere yet it was quiet. The young woman at the front desk booked tickets for a Vivaldi performance for us and was very helpful. Our room at the hotel was small like a typical European hotel but very clean and comfortable. We had a good size bathroom. The room was dark partly because of the rose-colored padded wall covering which probably kept it quiet as we looked out on a narrow walkway with another building very close to ours. There was a wonderful outdoor courtyard area that I would love to have had time to enjoy. We had to catch an early water bus to the train station and the hotel provided an early breakfast with fresh baked croissants that was appreciated. The walk to/from the water bus station only crosses one bridge right at the hotel entrance so it is easy to get to. I loved the old world feel of the hotel and the staff was always friendly and helpful. It feels comfortable and quiet. I wish we could have spent more time here and would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Freeport, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

Gorgeous antiques, comfortable, beautifully appointed rooms, delicious breakfasts, and the most accommodating, friendly staff on our entire trek through Italy. Perfect hotel for a brief stay, it really "set the mood" for our Venetian experience. Very close to San Marco piazza and the Basillica. The staff told me about a family run restaurant just around the corner for dinner that was very friendly and the food was the best I had on the entire trip.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple