“Excellent location and helpful staff”
Review of Hotel da Bruno

Hotel da Bruno
Ranked #50 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Queensland
“Excellent location and helpful staff”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

We recently stayed here for 4 nights and were really happy with the location. It is located approx half way between the rialto bridge and saint marks square. On arrival we were given complementary orange juice and were asked by Igor on the front counter if we have visited Venice before. We told him it was our first time and he was really helpful and provided us a map showing us the location of the hotel so we wouldn’t get lost and gave some advice on how to get around to different places and so forth. Igor also arranged for a shuttle service to take us to Murano island a couple of days later which was also an experience in itself as we were taken to Murano Island on a boat that was like a stretch limo inside, very nice. There are no lifts at the hotel but we were offered help to take our luggage to our room upstairs. The room was clean and of good standard in comparison to other Venice hotels however on a couple of the nights we either had noisy neighbours in the rooms next door or the walls were very thin and we didn’t sleep well due to the noise. The water pressure in the shower was very poor and took quite a while for hot water to arrive. At breakfast there was a selection of cereal, croissants, breads, hams and cheese however no toasting machine. I was pleased that the coffee at breakfast was made per order with a proper espresso machine. I would definitely return here if visiting Venice again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bostocks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We spent a couple of nights at the hotel in November. It is very well sited between the Rialto Bridge and St Marks Square - an ideal location. Our room was very large and the bathroom ideal. The breakfasts were spot on and the many choices of place to eat at any time of the day near by, made eating in Venice a breeze. Free internet access was great - although a little slow at times. Staff were very helpful and the included water taxi to the glass factory was a great start to a day. Highly recommended and we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve M
Finale Ligure
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I just returned from a long week end at one of the so called "charming venice apartments" managed by Hotel Da Bruno. The apartment was a large, 2 bedroom one located in Calle Paradiso next to the hotel and with a wonderful canal view.

Quite expensive (250 eur/night), but that's quite a standard in Venice.

Otherwise, an excellent place, well furnished and in an excellent location very close to everything.
The hotel staff was helpful and friendly to accomodate some non standard requests.

I definitely recommend this kind arrangement, especially for families, given that eating out in Venice is just impossible (high price for awful food). Believe me, I am Italian and lived near venice for 30 years.

Just one more tip: there are luxurious hotels near Treviso or Padova, charming towns where you can sleep and eat for half of the price and from where you can get to Venice with a short train trip. This can be a good alternative if you are on budget!

Cheers and nice trips to everyone!

Room Tip: Apartments are private and only managed by the hotel. They are unique and furnished differently. Che...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank MaxIengo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This hotel is in an excellent location to explore the main sights, close to both Rialto and St Marks. The directions on the hotel website about how to find the hotel are excellent - worth printing out before you arrive. The staff were all very friendly and helpful with every inquiry. I had left my phone charger in the previous hotel I'd stayed at and the very helpful man at reception found me one that another guest had left behind and lent it to me for the time of my stay. I arrived just before the acqua alta (exceptionally high tide) and was lent a pair of rubber boots when I checked in, essential for getting around while the water was high. I was offered a choice of a tiny single room (barely bigger than the bed) or a double room in the attic which was much bigger but I had to bend down to get around the bed under the exposed beams. I choose the latter and it was a great room with lots of character and access to a small terrace. It would not really be suitable for a tall person though, as the bathroom was tiny (but adequate) with quite a low ceiling. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were really hard. Breakfast was included and was a good spread. This was my first time to Venice and I absolutely loved it, and would recommend this hotel as a great base for anyone else to explore from.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank rosemaryeva
Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Hotel is in a good location between Rialto and St Mark's, with plenty of good restaurants and bars within a walk. Rooms are a bit on the small side especially bathrooms. It can be quite a noisy place also, especially the front rooms above the street, be aware of this. Staff were helpful and no problems were encountered. The hotel does not have aircond though, despite advertising it does, so in summer this could be an issue.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MadCapt
Kent
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Just returned from three night stay, great location, 5 minutes from Rialto & 10 from St Marks. Room on small side but adequate, bathroom ok. Breakfast good, bit crowded at times, staff good, no issues so didn't really get involved with them. First time to Venice so wasn't sure what to expect, however, even though didn't spend much time in the room I would have liked one English speaking channel on the tv and would really have preferred traditional curtains that cover the whole window rather than the ornamental swag which looked great in the daytime but wasn't very effective at night!

When checking in noticed guest before us was given complimentary drink but we didn't receive anything.!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank angelap1626426
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We had a great stay in Hotel Bruno's Ca' d'Oro apartment (10 minutes walk from the main hotel). I'm still quietly congratulating myself for booking it :)
At first we weren't sure about the position, but after struggling through the Venetian crowds and then discovering our favourite restaurants were nearby - we were thrilled. This combined with the wonderful service and information provided by Paolo and Marco at the main hotel (Hotel Bruno) and the spacious and well appointed apartment, I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. Not only is the apartment on a quite canal (much to my children's joy), it is down a quiet lane, close to great restaurants (Alla Madonna and Alle Testiere), bakeries, supermarkets, but it also has a complete kitchen and washing machine, should you need it - and we did. It also worked out well as it was a quick trip on the Ca' d'Oro vaporetto early in the morning to make it to the airport.
Thank you! I will definitely recommend it to anyone I know visiting Venice.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family