“Ca del Paradiso Apartment - Perfect Location, Views, Spaciousness, Character”
Review of Hotel da Bruno

Hotel da Bruno
Ranked #47 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 14 December 2009

The charming Ca del Paradiso apartment is one of the Sartore Apartments. These apartments are managed by Hotel Da Bruno.
We have just returned from a wonderful week in Venice staying in this fantastic, spotlessly clean apartment located right near Hotel Da Bruno. The apartment is incredibly spacious by Venice standards. With two double bedrooms, lounge, small dining, small kitchen, entrance foyer, and bathroom. The views from the four windows (especially the kitchen) are fantastic overlooking one canal and directly down another. We understand the apartment was refurbished two years ago. A real effort has been made to create a homely comfortable Venetian atmosphere. The sloping floor a constant reminder of the age and charm that is Venice. The apartment is located on the first floor (no elevator) which in Venice is perfect. While there we experienced flooding up to 130cm. (Took us awhile to figure out what those jolly chimes were at 5am! Thought the neighbors were up for an early party)Our little street was flooded out but passable in Gumboots and we were high and dry.
Five star it is not, but thought it better by far than the four star hotel we stayed in last time and for the rate we paid, were certainly not expecting five star. However from the moment we arrived we received only the best. Checking in at Hotel Da Bruno, Paolo helped with our bags, settled us in, walked us around a few Trattoria'/Osteria's to ensure we got special menu rates and he or other staff were always happily on hand 24 hrs. Within 2-5min is a supermarket, Deli, Cafés, Pizzeria, Trattoria/Osteria's, Shops, Dept Store etc, etc. The Rialto Vaporetto stop for us was 5 min, two bridges walk away.
Only negative was beds were a little firm (I like mine soft and squishy) and the hand held shower over bath with no curtain. Oh dear, had to return every afternoon for a leisurely soak in the tub!
Would we return….In a heart beat.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,082)

Reviewed 18 October 2009

...all that you see on their website is what you get - fantastic service - a member of staff was always on reception, ready to help with anything - spotlessly clean hotel and room (the room was small - but you are only in there for a short while...too much to see in Venice!), breakfast was wonderful - lots to choose from. Every member of staff that we met was very helpful.

The directions on their website were excellent - we arrived late at night and didn't like the idea of wondering around Venice on our own...BUT the directions got us there within a short time and they were accurate. Buy the Valperetto (water taxi) ticket as soon as you get off the bus...saves you so much money and you can hop on and off these taxi's whenever you like.

The hotel is situated in a small, busy street (all streets in Venice are small!) and you can hear people from early morning (getting their shops ready for customers etc)...but it's LOVELY to hear the locals talking and it adds to the ambience of being in Venue...no cars thundering up the street - just people talking!

Don't get caught out by sitting outside the cafes anywhere in Venice...you are likely to be charged almost twice the price that is advertised on the menu!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2009

we just got back from a stay at the Bruno on October 1 2009. Excellent location and great service from Igor at the front desk. Very helpful on arranging a water taxi to the hotel and inquiries.Rooms basic and small, but adequate. The location between the Rialto and St. Mark,s square is perfect. Breakfast was again typical of Venice and the service was good. Overall we would suggest this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Our triple room cannot be termed as spacious but ok , I guess thats how it must be in venice hotels. The attached bathroom was just too tiny. However everything , like the shower etc. worked and was clean.

Our room was on the first floor facing a narrow lane. One could hear a bit of noise occassionally. Late at night we could hear a loud birthday party held at the restaurant just below. thankfully it did not go on for too long.

The staff was helpful when asked for information.

The cold buffet breakfast was filling.

The location was good, a five minute walk from the Ponte Rialto, even then we got lost, the first day while getting to the hotel. But that is venice!

There were restaurants and convenience shops just down the hotel lane.

Our room floor actuallly convinced us that Venice is indeed sinking. It was sloping a bit to one side.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Stayed at da Bruno for 3 nights in June and have absolutely no complaints. Room was small, like all in Venice, and unusually had no view. However it was very comfortable and was spotlessly clean. Bathroom was good size, good shower, spotless. A/c worked well. Breakfast was adequate, continental and charming Carmello remembered that I liked my coffee hot! Lovely person who greeted you each morn, thank you Carmello. I found the staff very helpful especially Igor at reception. All staff were helpful, /antonio, porter also. Found hotel hard to find on the 1st day but wasnt long getting orientated. Its situated in a shopping area. I would have no problem recommending hotel, standard venice hotel with very helpful staff.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I wasn't allowed to stay in a hotel room with my travel partners due to a booking oversight, so I found Hotel Da Bruno last minute.

The concierge was kind and helpful - he was a very cute old man!

It was a good price for the room (especially considering it was so last minute on a weekend!), and had its own little sitting area and sink area - but a shared outside shower.

It was an annoying downside however, that the hotel would not allow me to take any of my travel partners up to my room with me - not even on the stairs! we were a university group traveling together, so it was extremely inconvenient, but I guess its an Italian thing.

loved the old fashioned curtains and duvet - very quaint : )

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2009

I loved this hotel; from the minute I entered until I left I felt comfortable and welcome. Igor was on duty with a glass of orange juice on a tray for me when I checked in. His English is perfect and he was very helpful--in fact, every staff member was polite, friendly and helpful.
My room, a single, was a little small compared to what we are used to in the U.S., but perfectly adequate for me (about 7ft by 12 ft). (Everything in Venice is small, even the dogs.) The decor was very pleasant--marble floor, gold brocade bedspread, red velvet trim on the headboard, and a chandelier. I had a desk, small TV, a small refrigerator, and a wardrobe. There was even a little wall safe. The windows opened for fresh air. The bathroom was surprisingly modern and spotless with a large sink and shower with very good water pressure. It was very quiet (my room was in the back.) In the early morning I could hear some dogs barking and seagulls squawking, but only because I had opened the window. It's always nice to hear the church bells.
The breakfast buffet incuded juices, fruit, cereals, pastries and bread, ham, cheese, tomatoes and olives. The very friendly wait staff serve coffee or tea as soon as you sit down.
Even though I had a great map, I got lost twice on the way to the hotel, but that is so common in Venice. The location is great; it is less than 5 minutes to Rialto and less than 10 minutes to St. Mark's Square. There are 3 gelato shops within 1/2 block, and a great restaurant right across the street with good prices. I also got a great price on my room.
I felt very sad that I had to leave after my seven night stay, but I plan to go back again next year for at least another week. The more I see in Venice and the more I read about it, the more there is to see. It was a fantastic trip!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo