“Good location, Friendly staff and Decent rooms”
Review of Hotel Spagna

Hotel Spagna
Ranked #221 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Location - Near to the Train Station Just 5 mins walk. You don't have to drag your luggage up and down the bridge which is a Big Plus. It on the main road from station to Rialto bride

Staff - Is very friendly , I had requested them a room on lower floor on first night there first floor was totally booked so I stayed on the top floor but next day they shifted me to the main floor ( first floor). Check in was fast too and the lady at desk even offered to take our luggage to the room.

Room - Decent rooms, comfortable for a stay of two. Washroom was also of ok size. AC worked fine. WIFI had good signal in both 4th floor and 1st floor.First floor could is noisy in afternoon since its overlooking the main drag/road.

Breakfast was very simple no cold meats or eggs which was offered to us in all the other hotels in Italy. There was no Buffet spread one lady was serving the breakfast but she was very nice and sweet.

CONS :
No Lift but that's with most of the hotels in Venice
Breakfast should improve.

Room Tip: Choose second floor if you are ok to carry luggage on stairs. First floor could be noisy in afterrno...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Don't stay here. We had reserved a room for one night for 140 Euros with a street view. When we checked in, the man at the front desk said he was giving us the hotel's "best room" and said that he had to keep our passports for half an hour to enter the information. That was unusual but obviously designed to get our credit card and get us into our awful room. It was on the main floor across from the lobby and backed onto a foul smelling alleyway. The walls were covered in dusty, damp red upholstery. The red rug was filthy. The red bedspread looked like it hadn't been washed in a year. The washroom was dirty. When I went to the lobby to ask for another room, the man just shrugged his shoulders, grunted and kept me waiting forever before he would reply. He refused a refund and kept us waiting 40 minutes to get our passports back. So we forfeited our money and found a splendid room next door at the Continental Hotel for not too much more. We are not picky and have put up with some fairly dingy hotel rooms in our travels; but it was worth forfeiting our money to get out of that filthy room and away from the lousy service. When we went out for a walk later that night I went back to the Spagna when they had another man on the front desk to see about a refund. He was obviously drunk. He said he was just the "night man" and there was nothing he could do. The hotel is in a good location near the train station but there are many other nicer and reasonably priced hotels within the same distance or closer.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Don't reserve with a credit card and ask to see the room before you pay. Th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I went with an 11 and a 13 year old to experience Venice for a few days. The hotel is indeed convenient (last time I was there I stayed on the Lido and was exhausted by the time I got to my hotel). An older gentleman was super helpful and let us check in early (we just wanted to drop off our bags). The AC in the room regenerated us each day and let us go strong in the mornings, rest a bit mid day, and go strong again in the evening. Since the room was big we were not in each other's way and could relax. The window covers keep the noise out at night and when opened in the morning give a nice ambiance of the feeling of being in a bustling city. The breakfast was less than we are used to getting in traveling around Europe. But the coffee was abundant and strong which is a rare find! We certainly were satisfied. The receptionist's recommendation for a nearby restaurant, Vittoria, turned out to be a great meal for us. And we found a place nearby to have a meal on the grand canal that was a good value and beautiful.
Oh and I read something negative about the beds, and I have to say I have finicky kids and none of us had any complaints about the beds. We slept great.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor facing the street, had 3 single beds and were very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

But! Make the review an average plus! Me and my girlfriend booked on site in Venice. Rooms were okay, nothing fancy. Quite spacious, which was positive. Price was not bad for Venice. My girlfriend complained about the quality of the bed. I can sleep on barbed wire, and did not notice anything.

Breakfast was in the lower of what I have understood is the generic italian breakfast regime: Some rolls, cappuccino, jam, nutella, juice. Thats it. All of which needed the continuos replenishing from the breakfast attendant. Irritating.

Service in the desk was great! Gave directions, tips and everything. Had a great chat with the desk upon checkout.

All in all I recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Location was really good...less than a 5 min easy walk from Venice's Santa Lucia train station...& 10 mins from Piazzale Roma...hotel is easy to find...looked exactly like how it was shown in Google street view of the place...
just a heads up..the reception is on the 1st floor...the ground floor of the building is occupied by shops...don't be confused when you see a staircase going up as soon as you open the door...
the hotel is along the main drag, that runs from the station to St. Mark's square...so expect the street to be very noisy...I suggest keeping the windows closed (even in the summer) to keep the noise out if you really care about your sleep...
we arrived at around 3 in the afternoon...the men at the reception desk at the time were rather surly...but the next mornings, there's a girl at the desk, and another, who are quite pleasant to talk to...
our room had WiFi..I suppose all the rooms will have...but our signal wasn't very good...I had to sit on the floor in the corridor near the door (see pic) in order to get a good signal...
all the rooms come with breakfast..it is not a buffet...you have to seat yourself in the breakfast room near the reception, and there's a lady (like a waitress, for want of a better word) who serves you...it's an Italian breakfast of croissants and buns...and you can choose between a cappuccino, a caffe Americano or hot cocolate..or you can have both coffee and hot chocolate..!!..there's also biscuits and toast kept in a basket on the table, with jams,cheeses, Nutella and stuff...so quantity was more than enough...even tho it's not a buffet, the lady comes around again to ask if you want anything more...both the days we were there, different lady...and both were so nice, always had a smile on their face (unlike those surly receptionists)...
no restaurant in the hotel...the best place I suggest to have meals is the nearby Brek self-service restaurant (I've reviewed it separately)...
around a half hour walk to St. Mark's square...took us less...might take some people more...
and since it's on the main drag, that's why probably the slightly higher cost..but then again, it's because it's Venice..and this is definitely cheaper than the rest...if there's any cheaper hotel, it'll probably be somewhere else on some small road difficult to find...so yeah, this was the most convenient...

Room Tip: keep the windows closed...noise from the main Lista di Spagna went on whole night till around 5 in t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Craig_DSouza
Reviewed 28 June 2014

To be honest, it was my 1st trip to Venice and I was very skeptical at first when I saw some bad reviews. After my experience in staying in Hotel Spagna, I said to myself that the hotel deserve a good justice!!!

1. Location - Superb (near to the Train Station) ~ 5 mins walk. You don't have to drag your luggage up and down the bridge.

2. There are many shops & restaurants (across & next to the hotel). Don't have to look far

3. Service - GREAT! Check-in is fast. They are very courteous and friendly. They even take time to explain & guide you thru Venice ~ Thank you so much Juliana..you have been very kind.

4. Breakfast - Good. Even though its simple but it is hot from the oven ~ croissant & buns. How much can you eat anyway in early morning. For me, it is good enough.

5. Rooms - Neat and clean.

I would say, this hotel is worth to stay!! I would recommend to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Lovely Hotel, room was very clean with every thing we needed.
Breakfast was a little let down for me as I am gluten and diary intolerant and there was nothing I could eat.
Lovely location, would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple