“Good place but not for everyone!”

Foresteria Valdese Venezia
Ranked #40 of 233 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Reviewed 6 July 2013

As rated in Fodor's, this place was very nice, and we felt that we were getting a good deal. Be aware, that the reception is not always open, so check their times on their website in advance. The place had a lot of teenage students in a group when we were there, but it was a good natured group. We ate breakfast in a large common room in which there was a fair amount of chatter and activity. Our room was on the mezzanine and we had a private shower/toilet. It was very sizeable for Italy. The room was not air-conditioned, but had a good fan. We enjoyed looking out on the canal, and watching a gull dive down to grab a rat. Take that you dirty rat.
It was a bit of a walk from San Marco, so be aware of this, but it was good to be far from the madding crowd while still located at the end of a lane from nearby Santa Maria Formosa, which was a lovely square with nighttime musicians and a place to have a nightcap. Enjoyed our stay here but be warned, they ask that you not drink alcohol or smoke on the premises. So, please be discrete if you decide to have a beer in your room.

Room Tip: Some rooms are merely shared areas. Be sure you know what you are booking. Also, if overlooking the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Christopher A
ForesteriaVenezia, Direttore at Foresteria Valdese Venezia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Thanks Mr. Christopher for your feedback. In Foresteria we enjoy having couples, families and students coming to Venice for vacation, sightseeing or studing and visiting The Biennale of Arts; you got the essence: part of the experience is sharing the common Halls. We suggest people to visit our site, our Facebook page and please call us to find the best accomodation.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

This was an impromptu stop in my trip, arrived without any bookings guided by my LP, and boy was it worth the time lugging by backpack in the narrow lanes of Venice asking shop owners and locals to help me find this place.
I had spent a night in my sleeping bag on a railway station thanks to a misleading information on the railway sign which resulted in me ending up in Trieste instead of Venezia St.Lucia, so I really needed a good place to stay.
Once I arrived the lady at the reception was very helpful and informed of their policies, the cheapest room I could get was a dorm (don't remember how many beds, but definitely more than 6) and when I arrived at night, after a thoroughly exhausting day, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I was in a huge canal facing room with murals on all walls hiding behind the furniture and a fresco adoring the ceiling.
And the cherry on the top: I was the only person in the whole dorm!

Spent an amazing night admiring the art around me and the scene from the window.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Suhaib S
Reviewed 21 November 2012

The ratio services offered/price is poor: no table in the room, no support for the suitcases (they were lying on the floor), no wardrobe, no hairdryer in the bathroom (you may get one at the reception desk), reception personnel without any customer focus and no smile, self-service breakfast, you should clean the table yourself, no daily room service, before check-out you should take away the bed sheets and fold them, the blankets as well. On top, this lack of normal hotel services was expensive! Never again!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I looked forward to staying in this place as we've booked a canal view room but once we reached the reception, we're sorely disappointed. We're greeted with sour face from the worker. Even the next day she showed us only sour face. However with others, she smile ever so brightly. I'm thinking this is a bit of a discrimination.

We were given a 3rd floor room and although it is facing a canal it is un-viewable unless you stick your neck out very far from the window. I don't think this is categorized as canal view room. Besides that there's a very narrow staircase to our room which gave both of us ladies trouble as our luggage are pretty heavy. Had a really horrendous time dragging our luggage up and down.

We got lost coming to this place as there are many turns however once you reach the location, you'll like it as the area is pretty quiet. Breakfast is good too. Our room is nice and the bathroom and toilet is clean too.

However for the price paid for a canal room but without an actual 'canal view', I think it's pretty expensive and we felt cheated. Plus with the rude staff attitude, I will not be going there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank chociq
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We had a wonderful experience with this hostel in August 2012. Everyone was so nice and helpful from questions (by email) during booking to the guy at the front desk the two nights we were there. This was actually our first experience in a hostel and we found it ideal for our family since a quad room is just a much better fit than a standard hotel room. The beds were very comfortable, the location was amazing, and the price was great (for Venice). Our room (camera 23) had three beds in a loft upstairs with one bed and our private bathroom downstairs. the building was interesting, the staff friendly, and the breakfast was sufficient. There was even a corner with books and toys which was fantastic for my kids (2 and 4). When we were there, there were maybe 2-3 young backpackers in their 20's, a few couples of older travelers (retirees), and several other families. We loved feeling like we were in a quiet corner of Venice but steps from the action.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights from 6th May. For a start, Venice can be a most confusing city and as this was our first visit we had trouble finding the hotel. Once found however we were made to feel welcome and shown our room. The frescoes on the wall were a bit offputting but it was clean and the bathroom was also. The shower recess was bigger than most we had encountered. The breakfast next morning was adequate - cereals, rolls, fruit, conserves, yoghurt, toast (packaged), juice, tea and coffee. It is in a very good location as far as San Marco and Rialto and also the vaparetto to Murano are concerned. Also some good restaurants not too far away. Why I think it would be better for younger travellers is that it appears to cater for school groups and while the first group of older teenagers was very well behaved, the second group of much younger teenagers was not and became very noisy early in the morning (4.30am). The upside is that you do save a bit of money by not staying in a regular hotel and if you are prepared to tolerate school groups by all means stay there.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking a canal and a small bridge so there was some noise but it would be unavoid...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank molletts
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My first vistit to Forestie Valdese was magical-the location, the room and the friendly staff. This year I was disapointed at the poor service, staff were unhelpful and sometimes downright rude! The double room had poor ventilation and the bathroom had a dubious odour. The both the bed covers were stained. The location is still magical but there are other rooms available nearby. I wanted to let the hotel know that there were huge rats running across the landing in the evening but they weren't interested, maybe it was my english...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family