“Excellent value near Plaza San Marco”
Review of Hotel Diana

Hotel Diana
Ranked #269 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Yorktown Heights, New York
“Excellent value near Plaza San Marco”
Reviewed 10 December 2012 via mobile

Only 30 or so yards from the basilica. Great location. Received a warm welcome at this hotel. Excellent value. Will appeal to European value hunters. Caution: I fear my fellow Americans will prefer larger rooms, larger bathrooms, and more items for breakfast. This is a pity because we had such a wonderful time in Venice, in part because of this hotel.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Bruce K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I hate to give this hotel a poor rating, and really it should be a higher rating if I was just writing about the hotel. However, the lady, Elisa, that was on duty when we were there was really rude.

Anyone who has been to Venice knows that it is all on foot once you get off the water taxi. Therefore, if you are lugging your luggage in the July heat, you want to make sure you know where you are going....... My daughter phoned ahead to the hotel to ask for directions. As she was trying to repeat the directions to the lady to make sure she had them straight, it appeared that Elisa hung up on her.

When we arrived at the hotel, Elisa was on duty at the front desk. She knew we had had problems finding the hotel and she simply handed us a map saying that we should have had that to start with. She said nothing like, "I am glad you finally found us"...........

She said that she would show us to our rooms, and the best way I can say it is that she was annoyed to even do that. We, the guests, were not appreciated.

I could not figure out whatever caused this. There was an older gentleman on duty with her who was very unhelpful as well.

Two other gentlemen that worked there at the desk were great!!

The staff that served the breakfast and cleaned the rooms were all very friendly and accommodating people.

So, since we had more dealings with Elisa than anyone else in that hotel, I would have to rate this as a poor experience.

The hotel in itself is nice and the rooms attractive……………somewhat dated.

The mattresses were hard....................and need to be replaced. I would not want a week on those mattresses.

Our bathroom did not have a shower curtain or a glass to protect the water from the shower from running all over the floor. The other room we had for our daughters did have the glass to protect the water from running on the floor, but the shower head was so low that they had to squat down to get wet..........and they are not that tall. We did not bother to even bring up the problems with the front desk due to the "attitude" we had been given.

We spent 33 days touring Europe and visited 7 different countries. This experience with the poor attitude in this hotel was the only hotel experience we had like this for entire trip.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Traveler06232009

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Fuchu, Japan
Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

The narrowness of the room is make us dissapointed but considering the location is in the centre of Venice, it is acceptable. The service of the staff is good enough to recover the dissapointing by the narrowness and it make our mind positive to go out to Piazza di San Marco.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Mits I
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

A pretty average hotel in a good area. Stayed for two nights. The room was old, but comfortable enough. Breakfast, which was free was good. Hotel is easy to get to which is important in Venice...(You have to lug your own bags there). Transport was by water bus from airport. €15.00 per person. It was the expensive option, but by far the easiest with kids and heavy suitcases. Venice is an expensive city, so expect to pay more than you would ordinarily expect to pay for this type of hotel, that is just the nature of the beast....

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Silverback340
Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I recently had a one-night stay at this hotel booked on "points." I actually had four rooms for a large party and was a little worried, as sometimes these bookings aren't very profitable for the hotel. The front desk could not have been more gracious and I thought our rooms were great.

This is a budget hotel so do not expect the Gritti Palace! We found the rooms to be nice and comfortable. My room was a little on the "hot" side, more so than the other rooms we had. The hotel uses a keylock system to control the electricity in the rooms, and I ended up taking my laptop bag to another room for safekeeping and turning the thumb-lock on my door to keep it slightly open so I could leave the door unlocked and the electricity on when I went out. But other than that I had no problem, and as I said I was the only one with this problem. The bathrooms were modern, and I don't recall any problem with things being too "low," although I will say very tall people are going to have a problem throughout Europe.

One reviewer complained about the breakfast. I thought it was fine. A continental breakfast is supposed to be just rolls, jam and coffee, so if anything else were provided it wouldn't be a continental breakfast. Why would this reviewer complain about being provided with what he was supposed to be provided with?

This hotel is just barely off the beaten path, an alleyway or two north of the main route between St. Mark's and Rialto. As a result there are some cheaper restaurants in the area. To get to this hotel from the St. Mark's boat dock, cross directly in front of St. Mark's church, take a right, then take your second left into a fairly narrow alley, about three-feet wide. Walk a ways and you will reach a fairly wide "street." Cross this street and continue down the narrow alley about 100 feet and the hotel will be on your right. Even though I describe this place as off the beaten path, if has a very good location, just a short distance from some of the more expensive places. I really like the location. I would gladly stay here again!

There is a mini-bar in the rooms with reasonably priced drinks, and drinks are also available at the front desk. The front desk clerk went out of his way to help us get a water taxi when we left, and actually walked more than 50 meters to the taxi stop twice to make sure the taxi came, as it was delayed. The staff was very friendly.

The only reason I did not give this hotel five stars is because my room was too hot. If I had been in one of the other three rooms we had I probably would have given it five stars as their air conditioners worked better. Nobody gets five stars if I'm hot. Also, I would gladly pay a $10 fee per night for an "extra" room key that would leave the electricity going in the room when I'm gone so the room would be cooler. I'm sure this would be enough to cover the extra cost of electricity and would make the room more comfortable. This "key" system is very common in Europe, but I don't have to like it!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Crack-O-Noon
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I started looking for a reasonably priced room in a hotel near to St Mark's Square to take my wife away for her Birthday and was very happy when I found the Hotel Diana. I Emailed the hotel directly and was given a price of 120 Euro (£100) a night. This was cheaper than any other site I was able to find on the internet.

The hotel was easy to find with the directions given by previous visitors. We arrived early evening so St Mark's Square was free of all the day time crowds.

Upon arrival staff were very friendly, helpful and we were quickly in our room. The room was clean, with air conditioning and a fridge which did not have those pathetic automated dispensers, so we were able to store our own drinks within. There are no coffee making facilities in the room but we were prepared with our travel kettle and staff obliged by providing us with milk for our evening cuppa. There was no view from the room as we were above the front door. It only looked out to the wall opposite which was about six feet away, but this is Venice. We did not expect a view. Space is of a premium in Venice and if you want a view pay a lot more and stay somewhere else, otherwise don't moan. St Mark's square is within throwing distance and there is a great view from there, so do as we did, find a bar, have a drink and enjoy the view.

The bathroom was small but big enough for our requirements. The shower was great after a day of sightseeing.

Breakfast was good with plenty of coffee. Just enough to get you started in the morning. One morning we went down just for breakfast and upon our return the room had been cleaned, clean sheets and new towels. We had left our valubles in plain view including cash, presents and my wife's expensive engagement ring as were were not long. Nothing was missing and staff had cleaned round the items. This reinforced my faith in hotel staff.

I would recomend this hotel to anyone and would stay again.

As for our advice for Venice.

We landed at treviso airport, bought our bus tickets to Venice on the plane and our water taxi tickets at the airport, avoiding the queues when we arrived in venice. Buy the bus tickets that allow a few days use as single fares are expensive. We used them to go everywhere including Murano and Burano. Price the glass in venice it's cheaper than in Murano and barter. Be prepared for the hard sell tactics in Murano particuarly after you see a glass blowing demonstation. If you have a gondola ride don't use them from St Mark's Square the route they take you is very busy. We were told 150 euro for 30 mins, but if you go by water taxi to Accademia (three stops) we had a gondola ride for 100 euro for 30 mins, the route was very quiet (price goes up after 8 pm we went after this) and he sang.

Go on the web page europeforvisitors.com/venice. This site offers great advice for visiting venice.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John B
Jacksonville, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I stayed here while waiting to board a cruise ship and found it to be a great experience. I was supposed to arrive in the afternoon but, due to a transportation strike delaying my flight, did not make it until the middle of the night. The night clerk was very helpful and friendly in spite of the late hour and I was in my room very quickly.

The room is a standard European fare, but it was clean, comfortable, and the air conditioning worked well. The bed was a little hard, but that seems to be the norm in this area of the world. Breakfast the next morning was a mix of breads, juices, and assorted other items. It wasn't huge, but it did make for a decent start to the day.

Getting to this location is easy if you ignore the directions on the hotel web page. The best advice came from another traveller who posted on this site and, at 1 am made it easy to find the hotel. Go under the arch with the large clock, take the first right, the second left (there is a little pizza shop on the corner), and the hotel is on the right. If you get to the Best Western, you've gone too far.

I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo