“Totally unimpressive”

Ranked #354 of 385 Hotels in Venice
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Totally unimpressive”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I read the reviews before I went and decided to give them the benefit of the doubt since it was the cheapest, I was on a budget, and it was a good location. The only reason I am even giving it a one rating is because of the location.

The reviews are right about almost everything I experienced. The staff was nice, but almost totally clueless. The room was a dump that smelled, had no TV, the bathroom light didn't work, the shower had mold in it, the bathroom smelled like a urinal, and to top it all off their water heater broke when it was snowing outside and they didn't/couldn't fix it for five days.

Fortunately, I was travelling alone and could deal with this. If my girlfriend was with me, I would have left. I wouldn't pay over $30 per night, and they couldn't pay me during the summer to stay there with all the complaints of no AC working.

Room Tip: My tip for other travelers to choose a good room is to not stay here.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank tumbleweed504

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I stayed at Hotel Iris for 2 nights in October 2012, the location is good, everything is within walking distance. This is a great place to stay if you would like to visit Venice on a budget. The rooms are ok, and if you ask, you may be able to get a room with a view overlooking the canals, which was beautiful!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 15 November 2012

If you choose to stay in this hotel please ask for room number 112 it has a great view to a very caratteristic canal the hotel location is realy great near Piazzale Roma if you are coming by Car and a short walk from the train station and if you cross the grand canal who is one minute walk you will be in San marco square Go for it

Room Tip: Room number 112 has a great view
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rambogringo
Svezia
Reviewed 9 November 2012 via mobile

Reception full-time managed, englishspeaking and friendly in an italian way wich means no unnecessary politeness.
Clean and extremely hot room (November 16degrees celsius)
Nice view. Minus is the fact that it came as a surprice that the spartan breakfast was one block away, maybe because of the season?
Still, would recommend to kind of picky travellers with midsize walllet.

• Stayed November 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 29 October 2012

What a disgusting, horrible place barely of 'hostel' status - NOT hotel!.
Firstly don't believe any of the pics on the website - they are very old. The building is dilapidated and stinks of sewage / bad water & cigarettes. We booked this place as it appeared to be the best 'value for money'. It's NOT! It just happens to be cheaper than every other over-priced dilapidated hotel on Venice Island.
I'm just going to point form the experience:

Very rude and arrogant staff (from the reception to housekeeping)
Argumentative, lying staff intent on treating guests like we didn't have a brain cell in our heads. (NB: When stating the name you have to pronounce it 'EAR-IS' otherwise they don't know what you're saying. (We're Australians who speak very good English and no where else in Italy did we encounter a problem - only Venice and this so-called 'hotel's staff)

Our first room on night 1 was Room 128
bathroom stank of sewage (drain)
Air-con vent was putrid and stank
We had 2 (yes 2) broken TV!!! (they brought in another as the 1st didn't work and then neither did the 2nd!)
Broken phone
The room was literally 12ft x 9ft for two single beds & the biggest most ridiculous wardrobe you have ever seen plonked in the middle against the wall.
The bathroom was tiny and I mean 'dog-box! size'
No fridge, no tea/coffee, (as advertised), blown light globes, pathetic view out of window of lane-way below and broken roof tiles next door (front entrance to the 'hotel' is in this lane-way - not as you may think in the brochure/website pics).

We were then moved in to Room 106 for the second and final night:
Air-con unit dripped all night and absolutely soaked the single bed under it!!!
No shower screen (water went everywhere!!)
Tiny bathroom 2.5ft x 7ft!!!!
No bin
No bathroom exhaust fan
Couldn't open the window to vent the steam as there was a person sitting outside on the neighbouring building having a cigarette!!!! He said hello!!!!
'Hissing' leaking toilet all night.
Plastic cups (how nice - wine tasted very nice in them ....not...shouldn’t have bothered wasting the wine)
No soap
Blown globes (again!) in bathroom, also above one of the beds & the main room ceiling light.
Ripped bed spread, hard beds, flat pillows, 1940's decor with another huge ridiculous wardrobe plonked in the middle of an already small room. What is it with extremely large dis-proportionate wardrobes being plonked in very small rooms!! Throw them in the Grand Canal with all the other rubbish!

I now know why I have been told and I’ve read so many negative stories about how the Venetians hate tourists and treat them accordingly. I will never, ever visit this hotel again nor Venice itself - it stinks, the locals are rude, street signage is confusing, overpriced, graffiti everywhere, stench of rubbish, rats x 4 witnessed (go out after 11pm and see for yourself! in the narrow backstreets – there’s plenty for them to eat) & mosquitoes. Way too much hype surrounds Venice and its so-called hospitality. Its a real shame. Dilapidated, smelly buildings over-run with rats and rude italians may be your cup of tea but it aint a lot of peoples!! The square floods twice daily, people walking on planks, St Marks in dank and stinks, the Rialto Bridge is filthy with more graffiti on it than the Bronx in NY!! (particularly on the 'un-photographed' side!! Pisa, Florence ...... now thats beauty!! And the italians there are welcoming and wonderful people. Save your money and spend it elsewhere!! Believe me, you'll save a lot too!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Bruce J

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Reviewed 28 October 2012

The location is fine and the house is beautiful and rustic, and that is the only positive things I have to say about this place.

I went there during the Venice biennale in 2009.

The receptionists were grumpy and spoke hardly any English. It was not possible to print a few pages from their computer at the desk. Hardly anything was possible.

The breakfast was awful; dry old bread and bad coffee.

But the worst thing is that someone from the staff (perhaps the cleaning staff) searched through my belongings, found my MasterCard in my luggage, copied all the details and put it back while I was out. When I got home I discovered that a huge amount from my account had been spent on online poker games and the like. The room was locked, I didn't show this card to anyone (in fact I had never used it). It must have been a hotel staff person.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Sangild
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I am usually very tolerant to hotels because I don't spend much time in one anyway when I'm travelling. But I feel obliged to other tripadvisor members to tell my experience while staying in this hotel.

Well, you gonna have to lower your expectation upon arriving at this hotel. Just look at the photo that I uploaded showing its exterior. The reception guy was ok. But only that one guy. The rest of them were not that welcoming as if it was only guests who need them and they don't need guests. No elevator, no bell boy, so you'll have to take your luggage yourself.

My room, number 129, which is single standard was only 3.5x2 meters, which is ok for me, considering it's an Italian hotel. But it was not that clean. The furniture was actually quite repulsive. And the bed made me itchy. And there were mosquitoes in the room (which made me feel like home, actually, hahaha...).

The walls are so thin you can hear the steps and the door-banging in the hotel.

If you plan to have breakfast, they'll ask you to go to their sister hotel which is only a few meters away, as awful as theirs, and you'll just get some bread and coffee or tea. (see my photo)

Well, if only the staff were nicer, people wouldn't mind the place so much.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo