“Fine location, terrible room”
Review of Hotel Iris

Hotel Iris
Ranked #353 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Toronto, Canada
“Fine location, terrible room”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The hotel had a good location to the vaporetto and was close to many things. The room was a fine size with a view onto one of the rivers. The bathroom was tiny and the shower dripped and made the whole floor wet. The overhead light had exposed wires, and the side lamps had melted and burnt lampshades. We closed the windows to keep the room cool during the day and the cleaning staff opened them. It was so hot and there was no air conditioning but when we opened the window it brought in a ton of mosquitos. we woke up covered in bites. The breakfast was in another hotel and consisted of only buns and coffee. The front staff were a variety of helpful and not, and the internet was only available in the lobby until midnight. We will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joiedevivre218

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I paid €35 per person a night. The location is right in the centre of Venice, 1 minute walk from the vaporetto and gondola crossing. After crossing, in 10 or so minutes one can get to piazza San Marco. Everywhere is in walking distance, and means you can get to the popular attractions before everyone else without getting up too early.

I would strongly advise bringing mosquito repellent, as some rooms are by a canal and in summer it's too hot without the window open. (There is air conditioning, but I found it too loud while sleeping.)

I booked a room with a communal bathroom, but actually had one with en-suite. Everything was as expected: warm water, clean, nice service at reception.

Well worth the money, and helped make the trip to venice even more memorable

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ceolgar
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My stay at Hotel Iris as a single traveler for two nights has prompted me to write this review, and warn people. Upon arrival I was asked to pay upfront in cash which I complied with but thought odd. In the evening, after detecting small pill-bugs on the headboard of my bed in a small room that was in the front facing a small canal on second floor, (first floor for Americans,) I immediately told the front desk, and was allowed to promptly move to a double room on the next floor above. An improvement but the room was not clean. Hairballs on the floor and grimy walls. Quiet but not at all a great night sleep given the experience.

Upon arrival back at the hotel the next afternoon I was told I had to move to another room, and that my luggage & stuff had already been moved for me this time. The room again smelled, the headboard and blankets had stains, and the room again smelled. The shower curtain was dirty too. And again, the furniture old...& no air-conditioning at all...just an old fan.

My advice: stay away. Please refer to the photos posed by other reviewers to give you an idea.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank izs n

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The hotel are decent. I'd stay there for couple nights last year and really enjoy it. The location are typical Venice Accommodation. Everybody may have to walk little further around the island because there's not really public transportation except the taxi boat. The hotel are always quiet and safe at night. I recommend this hotel for budget travellers

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I chose this hotel as it was cheap and not too far from the train station. I really enjoyed my stay: the room was pleasant and the hotel in a nice location close to several cafes and bars.

The staff were, generally, helpful although there was a bit of variation. Whilst the bed was not the most comfortable I have slept in it was perfectly serviceable and the noise from nearby bars was not enough to prevent me sleeping.

Room Tip: Wifi is only available in reception but some first floor rooms can access it.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 June 2013

One of the worst travel experiences of my life!
It was nearly impossible to find Hotel Iris because there is an incomplete address online. Upon arrival the staff was not cordial at all, and it seemed that we were inconveniencing him. The receptionist simply put the key on the counter, never asked for money, and said nothing more. The next day I was abruptly asked for money on the way to lunch, and was blamed for not paying upon arrival. I tried to explain the miscommunication but the staff was rude again.
I have stayed in countless hotels in my life but this is the first time that I have ever been told to leave my room key at the counter. It seemed a bit odd to me. When I was sitting in the lobby another guest walked back into the hotel, and was told to check if someone was in his room because they did not have the key. The guest explained that nobody else arrived prior to himself. His key was mysteriously lost by the staff.
Unfortunately, my room was no better than the service. There was black mold on the ceiling and walls! I went to the closet for an extra blanket to find all of the extra bed linens balled up and strewn about the closet.
Lastly, the room security was a bit suspect. The room directly across from mine seemed to be left open and unattended by the cleaning crew for hours. Cleaning supplies and a bucket were set outside of the wide open door where all of the guest's belongings were visible. Once I returned from breakfast the room was still in the same state (open door, mop bucket) but no cleaning person in sight.
I would not suggest this hotel to anyone traveling through Venice. I do not like being so harsh but this review is 100% honest.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Drew H
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I read the reviews before I went and decided to give them the benefit of the doubt since it was the cheapest, I was on a budget, and it was a good location. The only reason I am even giving it a one rating is because of the location.

The reviews are right about almost everything I experienced. The staff was nice, but almost totally clueless. The room was a dump that smelled, had no TV, the bathroom light didn't work, the shower had mold in it, the bathroom smelled like a urinal, and to top it all off their water heater broke when it was snowing outside and they didn't/couldn't fix it for five days.

Fortunately, I was travelling alone and could deal with this. If my girlfriend was with me, I would have left. I wouldn't pay over $30 per night, and they couldn't pay me during the summer to stay there with all the complaints of no AC working.

Room Tip: My tip for other travelers to choose a good room is to not stay here.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo