“Lovely little hotel, furniture needs reburbishing”
Review of Hotel do Pozzi

Hotel do Pozzi
Ranked #155 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have stayed at the Do Pozzi 8 or 9 times since 1st coming in 1995. It has a great location, very close to San Marco. The staff is courteous and helpful and the breakfast is adequate and the coffee is hot. There are plenty of rolls, cereal, crossants, breads and yoghurts to choose from along with various meats and cheese. On a nice day you can have breakfast in the courtyard. My biggest complaint is that the furniture and bedding needs to be replaced. The bed was lumpy and the desk in my friend's area was falling apart. Hopefully management will heed this advice as many people are commenting on this. I hope they upgrade the beds as my back hurt after sleeping in my bed here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bonovox1

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We got lucky! Our original hotel choice was over-booked and we were upgraded to 'do Pozzi' nearby. I think this gave us a bigger room and better breakfast than we might have had at a 2-star (do Pozzi is 3-star), as well as the attractive courtyard outside reception. The weather wasn't really warm enough to have breakfast outside - and there are birds to argue with over your toast! - but it must be lovely in the summer.

Our room was spacious and carpeted - a bonus on the chillier evenings - but minimally-furnished, This was the only place on our trip in which I properly unpacked so we could have done with a few more drawers. The bathroom was clean with an adequate, if not very powerful, shower. The best feature was being able to open the shutters out onto Calle Largo and watch the crowds go by - or, in the early mornings, savour the peace and quiet before the hordes descended.

Breakfast was very good - but get there before 9am if you want the popular strawberry/banana fruit salad! There's a good choice of continental breakfast, plus cereals, so we never needed much at lunchtime.

The front desk staff were friendly, although there didn't seem to be a lot of 'tourist info' available (no map readily available, for example). There is no hotel bar or lounge - space being at a premium in this part of Venice.

By far the best aspect of do Pozzi is its location - just 3 mins walk to St Mark's Square and it's on the route from there to the Accademia. You are out 'in the thick of it' almost instantly, and it's always easy to find your way 'home' by following San Marco signs. I'm not sure we would have paid the 'real rate' for 'do Pozzi' had we not been upgraded, but it certainly made our stay comfortable and hassle-free, and I'm sure we saved a load of time getting to our first stops of the day by being so well-placed.

Room Tip: Many rooms are on the 'street side' as there are two 'street sides' but it's not...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife & I as relatively new seniors, recently visited Venice for the first time and were most pleasantly impressed with Hotel Do Pozzi which ticked all the boxes we require for a 4-night city break. After disembarking from the Airport to Lagoon vaporetto, the hotel is just a few minutes walk to the very narrow but signed lane which opens out to a floral courtyard where, in suitable weather, one can enjoy breakfast or maybe just a coffee which was the best we have ever tasted anywhere. A warm welcome from helpfully informative desk-staff, we found our room to be more-than- adequate for the duration. Decent bathroom and well above average room with aircon for a budget hotel, as was the typically continental breakfast, all cold fare but with plenty of choice. Time to get out now and immediately hit by all the designer-label shops you have ever heard of - window shopping only of course; if it's not priced, you can't afford it, but nevertheless good to browse on the way to & from the surprisingly grubby St. Marks Sq. right in the heart of the city as well as being conveniently adjacent to the ever-photogenic Grand Canal. Plenty of choice also for evening meals & we ate well at all restaurants. Much to our surprise as I had thought that we would be hopping on & off water-taxis wasting valuable sight-seeing time, Venice is a very walkable city, but we passed on the romantic Gondola ride at €100 for 40 minutes ( I'm not that romantic) in favour of a catching a vaporetto over to the neighbouring island of Murano, famous for its glassware & bought a couple of well-packed items as a souvenir of our visit. Plenty of places to tour & we would recommend Rialto Market for atmosphere having passed over the Rialto Bridge on the way; you must enter the Basilica in St. Marks Sq. & later take the lift up the Bell Tower for an overall view of this wonderful city. We enjoyed the short trip over the Grand Canal via a traghetto to Calle D'Oro which is a Grand Palace overlooking the Grand Canal & very photogenic. There is so much to see in Venice whatever your tastes but one little word of warning; the hotels in the city are often advertised as being 40 minutes from the airport as indeed they are , Do Pozzi included, if you travel by personal speedboat taxi. If, however you catch the more conventional vaporetto holding ,maybe, 40 people, this journey will be twice as long as it stops at every station to collect or drop -off its passengers. Great trip & would most certainly recommend Do Pozzi to anyone who asks. JW.

Room Tip: No choice also no problems even though overlooking a busy street
3  Thank JamesW17
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We came for 3 nights but stayed only two since my wife didn't like the room.
The hotel is very close to Piazza San Marco but that's it. Pros: good location, nice breakfast. They didn't charge us for cutting down one night. Cons: very old building, tiny room and shower room. The towels were not so new (Italy towels' fabric reminded me of window curtains). The blanket had no cover, so we asked for 2 clean sheets to wrap it. The building itself is very old, but then again this is what Venice is: an old city. If you could and could afford it, try taking a hotel in the Cannaregio district, which also has great restaurants.

Room Tip: I can't really recommend a room. If all you care about is location, it's a nice place. We fo...
Reviewed 19 April 2014

......... or so my daughter said when Venice was mooted as a location. She went elsewhere with the wife and my son and I went art hunting in Venice. To be fair, he suggested Cipriani's but, as I was paying the bill, I consulted Citalia who recommended do Pozzi as a great location just a couple of stone's throws from Piazza San Marco and with the Citalia deal we got one free day for a four day booking.

Quiet location in a small courtyard off the main walkway. Nice terrace for breakfast en plein air. Cold collation only but very good coffee and nice pastries. Room was twinbedded and quite small but very clean and a small but perfectly formed bathroom. We made the mistake of leaving the window open on the first night for fresh air as we do in London but this made us food for mosquitos and so we didn't do this again. We didn't try the aircon as it was neither cold enough nor warm enough to make this necessary.

Staff were very helpful and welcoming.

No bar or restaurant but plenty of nearby establishments catering for a variety of budgets and tastes.

A great location for our trip where we were out and about almost the entire time and do Pozzi is exceptionally well placed for our needs, arguably better than Cipriani's.

Would go again!

Room Tip: Giglio vaporetto stop is closer than San Marco Valoresso
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Great Location - close to the major sightseeing area and a short walk or boat ride to all of the other sights. When you walk out of the hotel you are in a cute courtyard where you can relax, then walk out of the courtyard and you are on a major street that all of the tourists walk down with great shopping, drinking, and eating. The employees were all great; they wanted to help with everything without you even asking, and when you did ask, you got such a great specific answer that was so perfect and made everything easier. Everything was clean and I felt fine staying there because I was always out, but the rooms were small (as most European rooms are), the room smelled moldy (probably because everything is near the water, it was very plain (no pictures or decorations on the walls), the beds were really uncomfortable (but after a day of sightseeing, I still fell asleep within minutes), and there was only a tub with a hand-held shower head, there was nowhere to even hold the shower-head where it could act like a shower (so unless you want to take a bath, the best thing is to sit to shower - but I have seen that a lot of homes in Europe have that type of tub/nozzle without a shower). If you plan on hanging out in the room, this isn't the hotel for you, but if you plan on being out most of the day, this hotel was perfect!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Very good three-star hotel within less than 10 minutes of St Mark's square. Only concern was poor choice at breakfast and no hot items, except tea & coffee, and no restaurant or bar. Room was good size and reasonably equipped for 3-star. Although, despite masses of TV channels, none in english, or anything but italian as far as I could tell.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple