“Nice room, good price in a great location”
Review of Hotel Al Vagon

Hotel Al Vagon
Ranked #176 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Me and my partner stayed at hotel Al vagon for three nights in July 2013.

Advantages:
-Nice and clean room
-Fantastic location (right on the canals and close distance to a water bus station and a little further to the train station
-Really good hotel restaurant attached to the hotel (however it was pretty expensive)
-Good air conditioner in the room
-Helpful receptionist who were able to help us with planning our day trips

Disadvantages:
-Quite noisy (because the hotel is located right in the center of a popular square)
- The hotel restaurant was expensive with extremely small portions
-You can only access the internet if you sat in the reception, however the reception area was very small so people generally had to sit on the stairs to get internet

Overall, we found the hotel very good and for a good price. We recommend requesting a room away from the street and maybe a day trip over to the island of Lido :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tess A

Reviewed 17 July 2013

The best part is the location, it is really in the heart of Venice and the Waterboat stops for both the station or the airport are barely a ten minute walk. Lots of nice restaurants close by and atleast the room we had was reasonably quiet. Only negatives are the size of the rooms which are tiny and the fact that there is no wifi available in the room. Both the reception staff Varinder and Adriano were very polite and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel a week ago. I was really impressed with this hotel. It was well-priced, the decor was charming (OK, a little bit tacky ... but sweet) and we had a canal view! Such good value. If you are staying on the canal side can be a little bit noisy (motor boats), but nothing a set of earplugs cant fix.

I also want to mention that I (stupidly) left a bag with my laptop in it in the reception area upon checkout. Upon realizing my mistake, I called the hotel from the train. The staff not only kept my bag secure but organized to send it to Rome in the space of four days (only 25 euro). I was very appreciative of their help and professionalism - thanks guys!

Room Tip: Rooms on the canal can be a bit noisy, but I think its worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank VictoriaToronto_13
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This hotel is stuck back in time. Room smelled bad because the air conditioning unit was so old. It was also very loud. Shower had someone's hair in it when we got there which was concerning. Also, it sometimes would not get hot at all so had some cold showers. Bed was hard and uncomfortable. No safe in the room. No lift but it is only one flight up to rooms. Staff were pretty vague and unfriendly. Definitely a one star at most, but since venice is expensive we knew we weren't getting anything great. Still felt it was very overpriced and would not recommend this place.

1  Thank Huttkiwi757
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Follow the directions on the hotel's website for finding the hotel. It's simple from vaporetto stop Ca' d'Oro. The hotel is definitely one star - no amenities. The only one I really missed was wifi. The AC worked great. There are tons of eating places nearby (many tripadvisor recommendations - get the app that you can download and use offline).

I requested a spacious room with a view. The room was big as was the bathroom. Everything was extremely clean. The room was located, not in the main hotel, but in another building across the little courtyard. It had a view of the courtyard. I was worried about night noise because the area is so busy, but with the heavy shutters, there was almost no noise at night. The room was #15.

You'll be carrying your bags upstairs as there is no elevator. For the value and location, Hotel Al Vagon was a great place to stay for travelers on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank fifthteacher
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Stayed for four nights in a superior room with view to the canal. Charming room, nice and clean, nice bathroom with shower (Shampoo, hand soap and disposable plastic cups). Nice service. No breakfast. Paid 135 Euros per night (+ 1 Euro pp/nt in local tax). The hotel is located in very busy part of Venice, so its maybe not the most quiet room in the world.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

This "Hotel" doesn't even deserve the one star it has, Owner is the most arrogant, unfriendly and classless hotel owner you could think of.
My wife and I arrived in Venice, and after exausting travelling we just wanted to check in and take a little rest.
We expected a kind staff but got the exact opposite.
The sleepy man at the reception with the "I-hate-my-life-attitude" ignored us for a few minutes and just kept talking to another older guest.
We tried to attract attention by saying "Sorry, we want to check in".
Still we had to wait...
When it was finally our turn, we could notice from the beginning on that the receptionist didn't take us seriously at all.
He just looked into his Book up and down, back and forth quietly bubbling something you couldn't even understand.
We slowly started losing our patience and asked him what the deal was?
He said he made a mistake.
We were wondering, what mistake he made and asked him.
He told us, there was another couple with a " very similiar name" ( later we found out that our names weren't similiar at all we are "Huynh" and they're named something like "Ohaynan" .) and that the superior room with sight on the campiello which we booked so many months before is now occupied.
We even sent an extra email that we really want this room so bad but yet it obviously failed.
The guy told us that he can only give us a classic room with canal view.
No discount offered, no excuse, nothing at all but him repeating "yeah, I made a mistake..."
My princess and I got a little mad of course since we're still were not taken seriously.
After discussing and reminding him that we only stay for 3 nights in Venice and that one night would be a whole third of our whole stay, he said that we could swap rooms with the other couple at about 10:30am in the next morning.
Then I asked for a discount since we didn't want to pay the full price for a superior room when we were sleeping in classic room.
Bad enough I had to ask for it but even worse he had to think it over for a few moments and then he only offered us the full price for a classic room, so no discount for the mistake itself.
We prebooked our room so the costs were at 133€ each night a classic room costs 110€.
I said this wasn't enough of a discount he reduced on 100€. (by that time I felt like I was at a turkish basar and not in an italian hotel)
Maximum 90€ I said, he looked unsatisfied but said okay then, he showed us our room and then dissapeared.
The room wasn't very nice the walls looked old like they were about to break not much space and overall somewhere between mid and low class but definitely no comfort zone.
The next day my wife and I woke up and we decided to give Al Vagon another chance, so we went to the reception (It was about 10 am) and then we got the "honor" to talk to the owner himself.
We just wanted to ask when we swap the rooms, because we wanted to go outside for a while and we would have liked to have our bags moved to the other room while we're outside so we could just come back to the new room.
The owner, arrogant attitude from the beginning on, said that we could move to the new room between 1 and 2pm.
Of course we did not like that at all since they told us something else the day before and because of the less time we could stay our actual room.
He told us that the other persons leave the room at 10:30 and then it needs to be cleaned first.
My wife and I had brought so much understanding for their unfriendliness and their mistakes but we slowly started losing our patience but yet I stayed friendly while he was not.
I just told him that we actually don't want to wait so long since we were promised to at least get the room at 10:30.
He half said half shouted at us something like "Yes, but there's nothing, I can do You will get the room at 1:30pm"
We were really upset about this but yet I stayed friendly and asked him one more time if there is really nothing
that he could do to give us this room earlier since we would only stay for 3 days and every hour would count for us and
my wife was looking forward to this room for so long and prereserved it 3 and a half months before and we would really
appreciate if there was a solution for this.
Then he said a sentence that was so rude, disgusting and respectless that even we, a very calm, happy, peaceful and just
married couple made so angry that we just couldn't take it anymore, he said:"Well, if you want you can go upstairs and
sleep with the other people."
It wasn't only the sentence itself but also thay way he said it, with his arrogance, half smiling not even looking at us,
treating us like we were a hundred levels below him.
At this point I asked for an excuse for exactly this sentence, but he declined.
He said he just gave us an "example" because we didn't understand him.
Then he got really loud and was coming closer with his gestics almost threatening behavior you could say.
The argument escalated as I wanted him to at least see that what he said was not correct.
He then said we were arrogant and wouldn't respect his age and that this was the same way he talks to his kids and that
would be his system and if we don't like his system we should leave his hotel.
I mean I didn't believe that it was too much to ask for to get a little friendliness and not being offended by the hotel's
staff.
so the owner, Mr. Maurizio suggested that I should tell the man standing beside us
who was some sort of friend of his or whatever the whole situation and that he, just
like everyone else would say that he did not make a mistake at all.
Of course he then said he was right and that point we were just feeling like we were in the wrong world.
I guess by then he already wanted to get rid of us so he said he would call the police.
We actually appreciated that since we were very sure that we were right.
He took the phone and said something in Italian.
We expected the police to come soon but nothing happened.
Another employee of his took me outside for a conversation he said we should leave this all behind and that he would
apologize in the name of the whole staff but he said that the manager himself would not apologize.
So I went back in and tried to find another peaceful solution for this problem.
I asked him if this was his hotel and that I understand that they made mistake with the room, that everybody make mistakes
and that all would be okay if just sees that this sentence he said was just not ok and rude.
He started yelling again: "I GAVE YOU AN EXAMPLE BECAUSE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND."
again it escalated and he forced my wife in rude manner to hand out the keys.
Of course she was upset about the way he treated us so she just hit the key on his desk, then he came up to her and I
need to get in between immediately because only god knows what that man would have done if I didn't, I told him
not to touch my wife and that he should not cross the line.
Then he moved back walking around throwing his hands all over with his gestics
the place acting crazy yelling but didn't know what to say.
Oh yeah, and by the way he sometimes offended us in italian as well
However, the fight went on and on until we agreed on us getting the first night for free and him getting us another hotel
for the same price and a room with same quality as our superior room with view on campiello.
When we were leaving he said one more time, that we should remember his face and we would see in 10-15 years...
I don't know if he felt a little too "Mafia" at this point but I told him that we will but not in a positive way.
At the end we checked into Hotel Mignon which has a way friendlier Service beautiful rooms, two stars more and included
breakfast.
It was a little uncomfortable to change hotels under these circumstances so we justified ourselfs as we arrived at the
hotel explained the situation to the receptionist and he confirmed that signore Maurizio was a strange man.
At the end Maurizio just played like he was calling the police he probably knew he wasnt right, because we were looking
forward to tell them about the way we got offended, that we didn't get the room we booked, and that he got almost violent
All in all: I would not book this hotel ever again because of all you have just read above.
I actually have read the other negative ratings about mr. maurizio but I thought just like you might think right now.
How big is the possibility that I'm gonna be involved an argument with manager, especially me, when I'm so calm and
I stay out of trouble.
I'm telling you, even if you're like me, that means you never argue with people and you are very passive in every way
you're going to get mad if you meet this man.
It's not worth the risk and even if you settle everything you just feel like you do not want to stay in a hotel that is
owned by such a person, no matter if you are proi

5  Thank Mario H