“The most friendly people on this Earth!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel de l'Alboro

Hotel de l'Alboro
Ranked #334 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Manassas, Virginia
“The most friendly people on this Earth!”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Granted, I went there 2 years ago (July 2010), but I was just looking through my pictures today and remembered how accommodating and wonderful the owner was. I didn't have a TripAdvisor account then, but having one now I felt compelled to write about my experience. I booked this hotel through my American Express card. Apparently, when I entered my credit card number, I typed a number twice, so the hotel never got the reservation. When we showed up and didn't have a reservation --and the hotel was booked --I was distraught! It was a Friday afternoon and we didn't have a place to stay. The owner assured me not to worry and offered us his friend's apartment right across the street. He said his friend was out of town for a few months, so as long as we didn't carry our biggest suitcase up the stairway (it was a tiny stairway) we could stay there for the same price as one of his rooms. He trusted us in his friend's apartment with all of the person's belongings still in there!

He also said he would still allow us to eat breakfast at his hotel! The hotel itself seems very nice and clean. I was upset we couldn't stay in one of the rooms, but was VERY grateful for the experience we did have while in Venice. Checkout was at 11, I think, and he allowed us to keep our bags in a room (that looked like a laundry room) in his hotel until 5:00 that evening.

I cannot speak more highly of the owner! I will DEFINITELY stay there again if/when I go back to Venice!!! I highly encourage you to stay there.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bristol
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We had a lovely stay in this hotel. The vaporetto stop is 2 seconds away (San Angelo) and San Marco square a 10 min walk, so it's really central. The room and hotel was clean and the staff warm and welcoming. We had roopm 14 which had a beautiful romantic view of a canal. Would 100% stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Varese
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I have lived in Italy for 15 years and have never felt so affronted or unwelcome as when I walked in the reception of this hotel just now. I am not a guest of the hotel, but now never will be - I was politely asking whether I could book a water taxi to pick up from here in the morning, but was told that since I wasn't a guest, I could basically get stuffed. Classy. It's ok to say no, or I don't know, but to be told to get lost by a hotel management is the pits. There are plenty of great places to stay in Venice, and some great people too, so my advice would be is that if is house they treat visitors, go anywhere else.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank SteveLaveno

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I had to make an unexpected emergency trip to Venice to assist a sick relative so I was under significant stress. The management and staff could not have been kinder or more helpful. They really went out of their way to help me during a difficult time. The hotel itself is very well situated and clean and comfortable. It has all the basic amenities and is a charming introduction to Italy and its people. I definately plan to return, but this time for a holiday!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Chelmsford
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Spent a 2 night stay here following a recommendation by the Hotel information office at Piazzalé Roma. At first i thought €120 a night for the room was too pricey, but for Venice and for the location, i realised afterwards that it was quite a good deal. We had the romantic, old fashioned room overlooking the canal (see hotel's photos). It was like staying in a museum (in a positive way). You had the lovely feeling that you were in Venice 200 years ago. If you stay here, you must have this room! The downside was that gaps in the door and windows meant that you did hear people talking and walking outside the hotel (in the streets) and in the corridor(inside the hotel). However, it didn't ruin the stay, we were there for sightseeing, not sleeping. If you need a 10 hour sleep, dont stay here. I read the other reviews on Trip Advisor and can only conclude that they have changed the staff. They were lovely and friendly, even the lady that couldn't speak english well, made a real effort and was so apologetic that her english wasn't so good. The Filipino guy on night duty was also happy and helpful, always smiling and cheerful when he let you in at night (they lock the doors after a certain time). Breakfast was simple, but the non english speaking waitress was also great - so, no complaints at all on the staff. The hotel is a bit dated and tired, but we loved it.. It oozed Venetian charm.

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking the canal.