“Great location and good value!”
Review of Locanda Canal

Locanda Canal
Ranked #295 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Stayed for two nights, shower room very clean- bed was comfy and room was quite quirky and spacious.
On a nice little "street" with a canal running through- easy to get to from san marco/san zacharia.
Staff seemed nice- breakfast is very limited but good for price!
Free wifi too which is always good! Nothing to complain about!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank she2112

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Starting off with the location, it is 5 minutes from San Marco's Square which is very convenient especially if you have to use the toilet as the public toilets cost 1.50euros! At first we had a hard time following the map to the hotel because it was evening and we took the long way! However, when you discover the short way, it is so easy! Its is also a nice short walk after a tiring day of exploring the city!

The reception is very small but the people there were very friendly, accommodating, helpful (booked us our tours!) and they speak good english.

Walking upstairs to the rooms, it was more like a big house turned hotel with a computer by the living room for those who does not have wifi-capable gadgets, and the breakfast room just past the living room. The bedrooms surround this area and you may hear clinging of utensils in the morning from your rooms!

The bedroom we got was a double bedroom with the view of the alley outside the window and a toilet & shower. The bed was ok, firm and has only 2 pillows. There were extra pillows inside the large wooden (antique-looking) cabinet but no extra pillow cases. There's a mini-ref with 2 bottles of water inside, with & without gas. Note: THIS IS NOT FREE!

The bathroom is nice, complete with little soaps, towels and a hairdryer. I also like the shower coz it looks like the one in spas, however, there is nowhere to place your toiletries... Either place it on the floor or on top of the shower head(which I cannot reach).

The breakfast is not that exciting but I guess enough to start your day. They have hard bolied eggs, cheese, cold cut, cereals, croissants and sliced bread. You will also be served coffee or tea. What's nice about it is that its just outside your bedroom... It's homey.

Overall, I recommend this hotel for the location and comfort. It's good except for some minor concerns.

Oh, I would suggest you check the weather forecast and bring the necessities coz we checked out on one of the worst flooded day of venice and had to wade thru ankle deep waters of the alleys and thigh-deep cold waters of San Marco's square. The reception doesn't have plastics or anything to keep us dry. Those selling boot-like plastics are by the dock.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JazzV
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Location: at the little channel, on picturesque place, but out of the crowd of tourists. Everything important is nearby from here: St. Mark square 5 minutes, 12 minutes Rialto bridge, the harbor steamers San Zaccaria 6 minutes (easy to find your way under the plan on the hotel website). My single room on the first floor had a patio and balcony great for watching traffic on the channel.

The quality of breakfast is not the price paid.

Room Tip: Room 108 has a terrace and a small balcony (+ specially designed chair) for observing traffic on the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I paid $90/night for a hotel on a quiet street in the middle of Venice. It's a tiny hotel. So services are limited. But breakfast every morning was nice. The bed was pretty tough. And I only had one pillow. But again...$90/night in the middle of Venice...not so bad.

I overheard an argument while I was there with the front desk and a couple who were being asked to change rooms because another couple was arriving that day and had request in advance the room that overlooked the canal. I sympathized with that couple. Changing rooms in the middle of your stay is a pain in the neck. But then again, it's a tiny hotel. So what can you do? And it's not the end of the world.

I was traveling alone. Had I been with my partner, maybe that would have complicated things, as the room was tiny and the bed a bit uncomfortable.

Anyway, book this hotel if you're interested in paying a nice rate for a clean hotel that maybe might change your room in the middle of your visit. But again...$90 a night!

Room Tip: Ask for the canal view! It's a tiny canal. But it's still a nice view!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 August 2012

A typical little old Italian hotel. The room we had had a large roomy bathroom, high ceilings and good breakfast.
To get there, (Aquire a street map)
From airport Marco Polo, take the water taxi to San Marco, 15 euros each and takes about an hour. Get off and turn Right and walk about 100 metres then enter San Marco on your left and stop to oooh and aaah then proceed over to the far right corner. It has a money exchange on one corner and a American snack bar on the other. Go up the lane, pass the first street/lane with lots of eating places, (come back and have a drink) carry on up the lane and on your right you will see a sign saying Columbine Hotel. Go up there, Up some steps over canal and down steps, carry on down there and at the end turn Left and you should be there. ( can you let me know if this doesnt work?)
The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were made up each day and as it is so central, we found it really convenient and well priced. They are on quite a few sites, if you cant find it try another. Think in the end I tried 6!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank OrkneygirlOratia
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We booked to stay at the Locanda Canal however upon arrival we were taken to the Casa Pisani Hotel a few streets away. This was their sister hotel, also a 3* and we were more than happy with this. On the morning of our 2nd day, we were told we were moving to the Locanda Canal hotel for the remaining 2 nights of our stay. We were a little confused as to why we had to move however didn't have a choice so we packed our bags and the helpful staff moved them to the Locanda Canal for us so it was no hassle moving. Later that day when we went to the new hotel, we checked in and were given the option of 2 rooms. We opted for 108 which was a very small double room but had a little balcony which overlooked the waterway below. This was great after a long day with lots of walking around, as we got a takeaway pizza and bottle of wine and took it back to the room. (This was a great way of saving money...meals in restaurants are very expensive for what you get so this worked out great for us). We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Venice and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a cheap and cheerful trip. (The Locanda Canal is on the same street as on the cover of the Venice Rough Guide)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights from 22nd July and I was not disappointed. Granted the hotel is not a 5* luxury hotel BUT for the money and tourist hotel class it is well worth staying at for the central location, friendly staff and the fact that you are in Venice. I had a single room which was big enough for one person, the bathroom was small but functional and had a working shower and toilet so I was happy. My room also had a balcony so I could sit outside and watch the canal below and passing walkers. Breakfast was adequate, again its not 5* buffet offering but enough to full you up so you can get going. Re location you are 5 min from St Marks Square, Rialto Bridge, Grand Canal so for the price it is very very reasonable. I loved Venice - my advise is: loose your map, stay away from the main tourist hotspots during the day (crowds were mad) and just let yourself wandering around and explore, then find a cafe/bar and watch the world go by. Will go back to Venice and hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms have canal view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo