“Excelent Hostel!”

Generator Hostel Venice
Ranked #6 of 226 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

The Hostel is a really nice option for going on vacations to Venice with your friends. It has a young ambiance going on in all the corridors and the staff is very kind.

The showers not having a more private door is an inconvinience but still is tolerable when you are staying in the 8 beds room.

All in all it is very cool and a really good option to stay.

1  Thank Manuel T

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

This hostel is located on the island on Giudecca, which means that you have to take the water ferry (not cheap) to get here. Bear that in mind if you choose this place! That aside, this hostel exceeded all my expectations. You are greeted by a classy interior once you step in. The 24h reception was very friendly, and gave us advice as to how to plan our two days in Venice. There is a simple buffet breakfast available for 3 5 euros. I stayed with 3 friends in a private 4 bed dorm for 22 euros each/night. The room is small but very clean, with linen provided. There are also small lockers available in the room, and free luggage storage. Very very nice place, and I highly recommend this if the location is not an issue.

2  Thank travelow
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

This hostel was very modern and 'funky'.
The decor downstairs in the bar area was really cool, the bar had a good selection of drinks.

The room was a little cramped, but I can't really hold that against it with the location being Venice after all.

Whilst we liked the hostel and would likely stay again, there are a few downsides.

Breakfast is average, it's below the level of some free breakfasts I've had at cheaper Hostels - and in this case you actually have to pay for it. We skipped on breakfast after the first day, not really worth the money. Other meals are of average value too, which is disappointing when no coming facilities are provided.

The other thing was the staff.
We personally had good experiences with the staff we dealt with, very friendly to us. However we did witness on two separate occasions staff being very unhelpful towards other guests as we were sitting near the bar. Some of them really need a different attitude to work in customer service.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel B
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This hostel redefines the general connotation of the word. Generator Venice is located in an old granary and this imposing structure inside has been warmed up with a funky, artsy feel upon entering, with mismatching vintage finds and neon signs and a caffe that turns into a bar at night. Keti and Fabio who run the place welcome you like family throughout your stay.The location is on the island of Guidecca, a short vaporetto ride away from the main island, which is a fabulous and very romantic way to arrive!
As for the rooms / hallways, they are very clean with wooden floors.
The staff is friendly, efficient with any queries and accommodating and the front desk is on call 24/7.
It's an easy ride to the airport direct; 2 minute walk to the Vaporetto station, which is one stop to San Marco. The views are amazing, there is a substantial breakfast buffet.
This is a great budget option for individuals or for school groups.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank londontraveller789
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The hostel interiors, decor and the facilities will blow you away..definitely miles ahead of what you see in average European hostels..the location is right across the San Marco on the canal...and the views from the hostel doorstep or room windows in mindblowing! However, the hostel being off mainland Venice in Guidecca is a bit of an inconvenience if you are there on a short stay; because getting around from Zitelle (the vaporetto stop for the hostel) is a bit of a pain.
The rooms were clean and the breakfast was ok...but I felt that it lacked personality. It has none of the Venetian charm that you come across rambling around the city.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wanderlust_pg
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The Generator hostel is modern and clean but it lacks character and is not conducive to creating an atmospher to met people. Everyone just stays in their little corner. Don't order food it's terrible. But my biggest problem was the showers. There was one bathroom that has 2 showers and 2 toilets but the showers have glass doors and there is no lock to the hallway so anyone can come in and see you showering in all your glory. Not a fan at all.

1  Thank Daniella G
Fabio M, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Generator Hostel Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Daniella

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts after your stay with us. Your feedback is our best tool to understand where we are meeting the expectations and where we should be improve and concentrate in order to keep the standards high.

We, at Generator Venice, believe that the social factor is the essence of our hostel and the ground floor area is designed to encourage the travellers to meet each other, share stories and make new friends.
We are disappointed that we have not met your expectations, but let me reassure you that all your comments have been taken on board and will have a follow up with the team.

Let me have the opportunity to thank you on behalf of the housekeeping team, but mostly to ask you to get in touch with me on keti.camillo@generatorhostels.com so that I will have the opportunity to understand the comment on the food.

Warm regards

Keti Camillo

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed at the Generator hostel in Venice for 2 nights and I loved it! The rooms were very clean, the beds were super comfy, and the main floor/common room itself was awesome -- fully equipped with a bar, pool table, photo booth, tv & couches and wifi. I originally booked a bed in a 14-bed female only dorm, however when I arrived I was moved to a 10-bed female only dorm for no extra cost, due to a large school group that had booked their stay at the hostel, and the staff (assuming the group would be loud when put all together) booked them in separate rooms to accommodate their other guests, which I really appreciated. I will admit that the breakfast wasn't great and it's an extra €3.50, so if you skip out on it, you aren't missing anything. Many of the reviews I read prior to my booking stated that, because the hostel is located on Guidecca island, it was a hassle to get to and from the centre of Venice, however I personally enjoyed the boat rides from Guidecca as you got to see the less-touristy parts of the city, plus it was a much quieter area. It was a quick 10 minute boat ride to Piazza San Marco, though it didn't seem that long because there was always so much to see! I would recommend this hostel to anyone travelling alone or with friends and I would definitely return!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends