“Great hostel on Giudecca”

Generator Hostel Venice
Ranked #6 of 219 Speciality Lodging in Venice
London, United Kingdom
“Great hostel on Giudecca”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Had a great time at Generator for Carnivale - it has to have one of the best views in Venice, straight over the water to San Marco. We slightly cheated and used it's brand new private rooms with en-suite bathroom so it was more of a hotel for us than hostel but well worth it and they threw a great party on the Friday night! Modern, cool and comfortable. Would definitely check them out in their other locations

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I slept 2 nights in this hostel. Very nice rooms, friendly and helpful personnel and the coolest lounge ever! I would recommend it to anyone. It is ideally located, just in front of san marco but you have to take the boat. Breakfast is basic but good; you can also buy italian breakfast or muffins/donuts/pizza.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Originally I booked 6 nights in Venice assuming there was a bunch of stuff to do since it was my first time. After I arrived at the front desk and started chatting with him, he said I could do Venice in 3-4 days. So when I asked for the policy of being able to leave a few days early he said I couldn't do anything since I already paid. FYI I had no itinerary on this trip but he waited until I paid to have the nerve to basically say I just swindled you and there will be no refunds. Also BEWARE!! All of the hostels in Venice are not on the main island with all of the sightseeing. You will be required to buy a certain amount of days pass that will cost no less than 30-35 euros. As for the bathrooms they were always drenched and had a pool of water on the floor because of the weird set up of the showers being in the front and not really being all that private. The bathroom itself has only one sink or two at the most, so it's a huge hassle to compete with kids in the morning to start your day. Lastly the staff wasn't all that helpful with giving you a poorly drawn map upon arrival, you any bring alcohol into the hostel which makes Venice way more expensive. Not a very accommodating hostel, it's all business to them

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Really enjoyed this hostel, I was in a 16 bed female dorm, on the 2nd floor. The room and bunk beds were set out in a way so it didn't seem like you were sharing with 15 other people, however when I was there the room was half empty which was nice. Each bed had an individual light and power outlet and the beds were so comfy, it was hard getting out of bed in the morning. The bar/common room area was nice with several seating options and there was the hostel cafe next to the reception area.

My only bad experience was when I arrived to check in, there was a guy and girl on reception and they both didn't even look up and say hello or acknowledge I was just standing there for a minute or so and then they were both trying to get the other person to deal with checking me in.... But later on when I came down to ask a question about the water buses the same guy on reception was really helpful and answered my questions.

The Wifi was excellent and the bathrooms were good.

Overall I would definitely stay here again, it was nice staying off the main island, the room and location of the hostel was quiet and the beds were so comfy.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I loved this hostel, it had great style, atmosphere and hotel quality. It's full of positive energy. The main bar/lounge was cool and clean. The kitchen was nice enough to make me food even though it was about 10seconds until the kitchen closed. The food was ok. The reception staff was very nice and helpful as there was a transportation strike the next day and I was due at a 12pm flight which meant I now had to leave at 8am instead of 10:30. But the staff members were friendly and helped me as much as possible on figuring out how to navigate around the strike. The room was very nice and clean, the beds were the comfiest hostel beds I've ever slept in! The beds were also very high end/tech with individual lights, plugs, usb ports and shelves & hooks on each bunk. The showers were great and the bathrooms in general were nice and clean. The location is great. Easy to get to by bus or boat and right near the heart of it all.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank twistedtippy
San Sebastian de los Reyes, Spain
Reviewed 6 March 2014

All I can say is come here and spend as little time as possible actually in the hostel. From what the moment I got there all we had was problems. From the wi-fi not working, to which there response was: "try again in an hour," which when I did, it still didn't work and when I asked again they gave me the same response. The staff was unhelpful and cared very little about any problems you came into. Don't even try to order food here, it'll be the biggest mistake of your life, even if you think you ordered something simple. I tried three different times to have a meal here, all three times it took two hours for the food to come out and it was cold and looked like it just came out of a can, even though it costs around ten euros. The one thing that was decent is the bed was comfortable. Go for a hotel, this place is terrible, the staff doesn't care, and if you have a complaint keep it to yourself, no one will listen.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Zach A
Fabio M, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Generator Hostel Venice, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Hi Zach,
I was very disappointed to read your comments after your stay with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies that you had a poor experience.
We want to give all our guests the best possible stay and a unique experience while they are with us and I am very disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
Please feel free to email me on: keti.camillo@generatorhostels.com or contact me on 0039 347 3166671.
I hope to hear from you very soon.
Sincerely

Keti
Madrid
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Views on the water's edge, 2 min walk from water taxi and a short 5/6min boat journey to St Mark's Sq. Friendly reception, very large, clean room and huge bathroom. Fun bar in the evening. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room.