“Great hostel. Very Clean & Helpful Staff”

Generator Hostel Venice
Ranked #6 of 225 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed at the Generator for 2 nights when I was in Venice. It was the off season so it was a little quieter but there were still plenty of people there. The hostel is on an Island across from Piazza San Marco but right at a vapetto stop 1 stop from the Piazza. I liked this because it was a little quieter and comfortable. Venice is a little dirty and there's no nightlife to speak of so the bar at the hostel, which is a chill spot, was great for me and I met some cool people there. There are a number of different types of rooms so you'll see families and couples there as well (I was solo). But as I said, it doesn't hurt because if you're going to Venice looking to party you won't stay too long anyway.

I would highly recommend this place, it was really comfortable by hostel standards. I stayed in a 16 bed dorm (although prob only 10-12 beds were actually occupied each night) and it was great and cost 16 euro per night. Bathrooms and common areas were very clean, although that being said I was awake quite early both days and probably one of the 1st to shower each day....

If I had one complaint it would be that they try to gouge you for any extras (a tiny padlock is 7.50 euro, a towel is 3 euro and if you want to do laundry it's 3.50 euro for the washer and another 3.50 for the dryer).

Overall an excellent experience!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Generator Hostel Venice

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Couldn't have asked for a better experience with a hostel. Met great people, the rooms were comfortable/safe and the breakfast was solid. The staff was incredibly helpful after I lost my passport. The location is one stop from San Marco Square so it's very central. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Venice.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Had a great time at Generator for Carnivale - it has to have one of the best views in Venice, straight over the water to San Marco. We slightly cheated and used it's brand new private rooms with en-suite bathroom so it was more of a hotel for us than hostel but well worth it and they threw a great party on the Friday night! Modern, cool and comfortable. Would definitely check them out in their other locations

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I slept 2 nights in this hostel. Very nice rooms, friendly and helpful personnel and the coolest lounge ever! I would recommend it to anyone. It is ideally located, just in front of san marco but you have to take the boat. Breakfast is basic but good; you can also buy italian breakfast or muffins/donuts/pizza.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Originally I booked 6 nights in Venice assuming there was a bunch of stuff to do since it was my first time. After I arrived at the front desk and started chatting with him, he said I could do Venice in 3-4 days. So when I asked for the policy of being able to leave a few days early he said I couldn't do anything since I already paid. FYI I had no itinerary on this trip but he waited until I paid to have the nerve to basically say I just swindled you and there will be no refunds. Also BEWARE!! All of the hostels in Venice are not on the main island with all of the sightseeing. You will be required to buy a certain amount of days pass that will cost no less than 30-35 euros. As for the bathrooms they were always drenched and had a pool of water on the floor because of the weird set up of the showers being in the front and not really being all that private. The bathroom itself has only one sink or two at the most, so it's a huge hassle to compete with kids in the morning to start your day. Lastly the staff wasn't all that helpful with giving you a poorly drawn map upon arrival, you any bring alcohol into the hostel which makes Venice way more expensive. Not a very accommodating hostel, it's all business to them

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Really enjoyed this hostel, I was in a 16 bed female dorm, on the 2nd floor. The room and bunk beds were set out in a way so it didn't seem like you were sharing with 15 other people, however when I was there the room was half empty which was nice. Each bed had an individual light and power outlet and the beds were so comfy, it was hard getting out of bed in the morning. The bar/common room area was nice with several seating options and there was the hostel cafe next to the reception area.

My only bad experience was when I arrived to check in, there was a guy and girl on reception and they both didn't even look up and say hello or acknowledge I was just standing there for a minute or so and then they were both trying to get the other person to deal with checking me in.... But later on when I came down to ask a question about the water buses the same guy on reception was really helpful and answered my questions.

The Wifi was excellent and the bathrooms were good.

Overall I would definitely stay here again, it was nice staying off the main island, the room and location of the hostel was quiet and the beds were so comfy.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I loved this hostel, it had great style, atmosphere and hotel quality. It's full of positive energy. The main bar/lounge was cool and clean. The kitchen was nice enough to make me food even though it was about 10seconds until the kitchen closed. The food was ok. The reception staff was very nice and helpful as there was a transportation strike the next day and I was due at a 12pm flight which meant I now had to leave at 8am instead of 10:30. But the staff members were friendly and helped me as much as possible on figuring out how to navigate around the strike. The room was very nice and clean, the beds were the comfiest hostel beds I've ever slept in! The beds were also very high end/tech with individual lights, plugs, usb ports and shelves & hooks on each bunk. The showers were great and the bathrooms in general were nice and clean. The location is great. Easy to get to by bus or boat and right near the heart of it all.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo