“Great 5-bed ensuite, decent 7-bed mixed room”

Generator Hostel Venice
Ranked #5 of 216 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Chicago, Illinois
“Great 5-bed ensuite, decent 7-bed mixed room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

The beds were great -- they each had an individual outlet, reading light, and drawer.

My friends and I first stayed in a 5-bed ensuite with an amazing water-front view and a sink, toilet, and shower in the same room (but with separate doors, which made sharing really easy). They provided towels too.

The last night, we stayed in a 7-bed mixed room, which lacked towels and was more cramped. We also had to share a bathroom which was down the hall.

Location was decent -- the view was amazing and during sunset there will always be people sitting by the water in front of the hostel. The down side is that you do have to buy a vaporetti pass in order to get to the main island every day.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sherry W
Fabio M, Direttore at Generator Hostel Venice, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Sherry,

thank you for taking the time to submit your positive review.

As you have mentioned, from the 5-bed en-suite you can enjoy a spectacular view of Venice, but sitting on the front door and enjoying the sunset is magic.

Keep spreading the Generator word and we hope to see you back again soon.

Thanks again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

The service at this place is unimaginably bad. The staff has an enormous amount of contempt for the patrons of the hostel. The staff will roll their eyes if you try to use your credit card. Everything for sale at the hostel is overpriced and low quality. If you make the mistake of ordering food, be prepared to wait 45 minutes for microwave fare. By far the worst meal I had in Italy. Of course I would never be dumb enough to order food from a hostel while in Venice ... Except that the hostel is located on an isolated island where everything else closes before 10pm. I had a very negative experience here and would recommend that you stay somewhere else while in Venice.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest,

I was very disappointed to read your comments after your stay with us.

We strongly believe in our customer care, so please accept our sincerest apologies that you had a poor experience.

Your feedback will be passed and analysed by the team so I will be thankful if you can forward to my e-mail a bit more information about your experience ( fabio@generatorhostels.com )

We would love to have you back at Generator London so that we can restore your faith in the Generator brand. Our mission is to provide fantastic budget accommodation and to help create great experiences and memories in London.

I really hope to be able to personally welcome you back and please do feel free to contact me to discuss anything further.

Best Wishes

Fabio Moccia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Hostel is located 200 yards away from water bus stop and over look San Marco Square. The interior design of the hotel is modern and clean and most of staffs are very friendly (except the young female receptionist whom were slightly rude and impatient). We had stayed in double room on the third floor over look the canal. The room is spacy and clean. They had good quality hair dryer and straightener which would be useful for ladies :) The breakfast is good and cheaper if you pay at check in for 3.20 EURO per person. They have a storage room you can use to keep your luggage after you have check out by 10am. I liked that they have decorated the room with magazines to read and few book. We would definitely stay there again. Of course they have shared domes available if you are single traveller. The best way to travel to there is by water bus and it's definitely worth to get a travel pass at any HelloVenezia counter if you intend to stay more than two days. The pass can be use on any actv buses apart from one go to the airport.

Room Tip: If you are couple and ask for a waterfront room which overlook canals is the most romantic thing you...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IonaB1
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I liked the individual 'pods' you get for your bed - helpful to have little things like a shelf, a light, a power point and a big lockable drawer (bring your own padlock).

But the hostel lacks atmosphere - the quietest hostel bar I've ever seen. And please get some locks fitted to your toilets(!). My room felt quite small, seemed like my 8 bed dorm was once a 6 bed dorm and they've squeezed in a bunk. And they need to get some nets for the windows...we opened our windows for fresh air (8 people in a small room!) and pigeons kept flying in.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

The guy in the reception was really rude to me... We got there late at night, super tired, all the trains were late and he said we lost the reservation... So the price for one night in a seven room bedroom would be 46 euros without breakfast... I think its a lot more worth it if you stay in a hotel alone with breakfast included... We had to move from there and stayed in a HOTEL, with breakast included for 35 euros....

• Stayed April 2014
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed in this hostel for two nights in a 14-bed all female room and loved it. For just €3.20 you can eat a buffet breakfast (ham and cheese sandwich, yogurt, fruit, cereal, tea/hot chocolate/coffee) and it was definitely worth it. The vaporetto (boat shuttle) stop is only 100 yards from the entrance and so easy to find - just follow the hostel's instructions. The beds were clean and comfortable, the only problem I had with the room was that the shower and toilet were in the same room and with 14 girls, that was definitely not the most efficient plan. Otherwise, it was in a great, quiet location, and I would absolutely stay there again as a traveler on a budget.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hostel is exceptional. Friendly staff at an amazing location (on an island, on the other side of the San Marco square which is such a relief!). Everything was clean and tidy. The beds were comfortable. A bummer that the breakfast was not included. A great value for your money though. I would definitely recommend this hostel if you're staying in Venice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo