“Ok hostel, poor service ”

Generator Hostel Venice
Ranked #7 of 228 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the mixed dorm. The hostel itself is fairly modern and location is good. I liked the bar downstairs. Wifi was easy to connect but slow. The beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are cleaned to a high standard. However, there are few bathrooms relative to guests, so the bathrooms are messed up quickly. The bathrooms also have poor layout, lacking privacy and space to put your stuff.

The front staff on check in were surly and rude. I was not provided with my breakfast vouchers despite prepaying. I've stayed in a few hostels in Italy on this trip and the meh attitude of the staff at the Generator was a shock.

Breakfast is just ok. Corn flakes, yoghurt, bread rolls, meat and cheese. Juice and bad coffee included. On checking in you will be offered a discounted rate if you prepay. Unless terribly convenient to eat breakfast at the hostel, don't bother. You can get a much better coffee and a croissant for less in the main tourist area.

There are self service laundry facilities - €3.50 to wash, €3.50 to dry. The hostel had run out of laundry detergent and staff were reluctant to provide change so I could do my laundry.

I read a previous review mentioning this was a hostel for 'Rich American Teenagers'. Unfortunatly this is not an exaggeration. All it takes is 6 obnoxious kids drinking outside making noise all night to ruin your stay. It appears you are likely to encounter these people staying at generator. If partying is a priority, stay here. If not and a light sleeper, consider other options.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jane T
Fabio M, Direttore at Generator Hostel Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Jane

Thanks for taking the time to send your feedback on the recent stay at Generator Venice.

I am really sorry your experience was so poor. It has been passed to all the team where any necessary step will be taken to prevent any re-occurrence.

We aim to offer a memorable to all our guests, not only the ones that loves to party, so I would welcome the opportunity to speak directly with you.

I can be contacted on fabio@generatorhostels.com

Kind Regards

Fabio Moccia

Reviewed 3 June 2014

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. Admittedly a bit expensive (>30€ per night) but all accommodation is expensive in Venice. Clean sheets, comfy beds, not noisy, each bed has a locker and plug for charging as well as a lamp (mine was broken). Good quality bathrooms, good shower but the water tends to leak onto the floor. Wifi available even at second floor. Really cool bar with affordable meals - unfortunately no kitchen for guests. Breakfast is okay - for 3.20€ it's all you can eat continental breakfast and I always packed a lunch from the cheese and ham and bread available (allowed, I'm not sure?) so I didn't have to buy lunch. You do have to buy a vaporetto ticket as it's not on the main island but you'd probably have to buy one anyway. 24hour Staff are super friendly and helpful (they printed my bus tickets for free!) and all speak English. Will definitely come back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Clean linen, comfortable beds, quite atmosphere in the bedroom and an extremely lively one in the common room. What more do you want. Add to it, lively and fun people to serve you drinks and a great breakfast. It is one of the best I haveever been to and totally worth a stay in Venice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hostel looks like a 5 star hotel when you walk in. Great location right across from the Grand Canal on the quiet Island of Guidecca. Being very jet lagged my first day I explored the Island and found some great restaurants and Gelato. The hostel had a great bar with music, reasonably priced food and friendly staff. The rooms were a bit on the small side but clean and modern. They provide a small locker and you can also store your luggage in a locked room. Breakfast and towels were an extra charge. Overall it was pretty quiet and I was in an 8bed mixed dorm. I'm new to hostels so this was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My family and I really enjoy the hostel. Very modern, with space, clean, good value and very easy to go to San Marco and the Ferrovia.
You can see a beautiful view of San Marco from your window, and see the daily life of the people from Venice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
2  Thank Nicole C
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stylish hostel in a good location. Probably more suited to students or younger travellers.

My and my friend (females mid 30s) ended up staying in a 8 room mixed door, the room was incredibly small, but clean. The private bathroom was adequate. If we had managed to get a private room I probably would have given an overall rating of 4.

Great transport link, and reasonably priced, I would stay again but only if in a private room as I am too old for sharing with kids!

Room Tip: Get a private room if you value a good nights sleep
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We only stayed one night in Venice and I don't think you need more time for Venice, it is small and super expensive. The hostel however was very nice it is quite big and in a fine location. The rooms are clean and even thought there is a bar downstairs it does not bother you in the rooms. The wifi was good and you could use it in the rooms as well
    They offer breakfast for a low cost which is good and have coffee and pastries for sale as well as a bar that was really fun to hang out in at night and have a drink and later on there was a DJ :)
     Friendly staff and not too pricy(for Venice) would stay again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends