“Nice facilities, great location, a few grumbles! ”

Generator Hostel Venice
Ranked #6 of 226 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

The hostel is very beautiful downstairs and the rooms are very cleverly designed, but I couldn't help but think it was designed by a man! This is because the rooms were great. We stayed in a big dorm but it felt smaller because some of the beds had sort of walls on one side, so the room felt like it was divided into sections. There were reading lights and two plugs for each bed, and the under-bed lockers were perfectly designed and very clever.

The bathrooms were great...if you're a man! They were divided into girls and boys but the showers only had a strip of fuzzy glass - you couldn't actually see anything but if someone opened the main door or if there was someone else in the room most girls I know would feel incredibly exposed! This meant that girls would get out of the shower cubicle and go into the toilet cubicle...leaving a massive puddle of water in the whole bathroom! Also everyone crowded around the one mirror to straighten their hair and do their makeup, so there wasn't enough room. My male friend thought the hostel was really good but the bathroom issue bugged me!

Also, one of the bartenders was really rubbish. He literally spent ten minutes putting glasses away while a queue of people waited at the bar, he was just really unobservant and slow. Then he poured me a glass of wine so small I thought it was a joke. It's a shame because all the other staff seemed really nice, and the bar would have been a lovely place to sit and drink, but this bartender just made us go elsewhere or give up! With the facilities, there should have been lots of people sat there or outside drinking so I think the poor service was affecting it - and probably losing the hostel good customers and money too!

So all in all a good hostel, but there were a couple of minor issues. However for the price it is really good value considering you are in Venice, so I would probably stay there again.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Wonderland101
Fabio M, Direttore at Generator Hostel Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Wonderlan

thanks very much for taking the time to write a well detailed review.

Every single part of your comment has been noted.

The hostel has re-opened just over one year ago after a full renovation, and we acknowledge that we have to intervene in some of the bathrooms, so that the facilities will look at their best all the time, thanks for this.

I have also taken note about the comment on the service. Please accept my apologies if the service was not of your standards. We highly believe in customer service and your feedback will be brought to the attention of the manager and staff.

On behalf of all the team, we are glad that you still choose us for your future stay.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hostel cost my boyfriend and I $347 Australian dollars (242 euro) for two nights, two beds in an 8 share room. We thought it was incredibly over priced, but we had heard positive things from friends staying at other Generator hostels, and the facilities seemed good, and we wanted to be around travellers our own age. There were plenty of friendly guests staying there to chat with, and the beds were comfy enough and we had a good view as our room faced the canal, but they are the only good points.

The staff are a bit hit and miss. Some where friendly enough. During check in, the person checking us in was talking to other guests - which we didn't mind. But another staff member came and he stopped to have a chat and a laugh and stopped serving us.. It was like we had suddenly disappeared. When he finally got back to serving us it was like he was doing us a favour.

We arrived the night of a celebration which involved fireworks over the canal. The hostel decided they would put on a 'buffet' dinner for I think it was 30 euros each, and weren't serving food as they normally would. We were unaware of this, and the boat services stopped running due to the celebration - so we were kind of stranded from the other areas of venice and couldn't easily go to a nice restaurant like we wanted. So we decided to go for the 'buffet' which included a seat at a table outside along the path to watch the fireworks. We went outside to secure a seat half an hour before dinner started.. But there were none, either people who hadn't paid were sitting there, or they hadn't provided enough seating. So we had to sit inside. No complaints about that as we could see the fireworks from our dorm window. The 'buffet' was a spoonful of pasta salad and one meat skewer, plus one piece of watermelon... And I payed 30 euros for that.. I also would like to add that a number of people at the end of the line missed out on any food because people at the front of the line helped themselves to as much as they could grab, while everybody else behind them had limited servings rationed out by staff, I can only hope the people at the back of the line got a refund. It was terribly organised and promoted as a 'buffet' by staff and all in all a complete failure. I know this isn't directly related to the facilities or anything, but take this as a forewarning for any future events like this, perhaps they will learn from their mistakes.
The kitchen opened the next day and the food was good and reasonably priced. Didn't bother with breakfast because the price wasn't worth what you got - as suggested by other guests.

I found the hostel reasonably clean, and the under bed lockers are of a reasonable size. The rooms are a little cramped, I found myself climbing over others to get to my bed when they were using the lockers. The bathroom is big and a huge waste of space. They could have fit at least 3 more showers in the space. Also you had to walk past the shower to go into the toilet, and the shower screens are see through!! Plus the door doesn't lock, and being the only female in the mixed dorm (male travel companion) was a very risky experience. Even in the female only bathroom on our level, there were two showers and again, the screens are see through. So I guess if you want to have a perv, or be perved on - you won't mind this place. Also, on three separate occasions staff members let themselves into the room - not cleaners, but guest staff, and they came in and just looked around, looked in the bathroom. A little weird. No explanation. So security is questionable.

The laundry facilities are the worst. We joined the queue and the person infront of us said her washing was nearly done (8pm at night) we came back at 11:30, and the same girl is still sitting there, plus a number of other people still waiting. We were wondering why, but we went to bed and woke up at 4am next morning to do our laundry.. Washers didn't clean anything off the clothes. Put the clothes through the drier three times - once all in the same drier incase somebody else wanted to use one. Then after that cycle we distributed the load between the two driers and put them through twice. Finally took them out... and they were damp. So we had to hang them up around the dorm. They still didnt dry and we ended up packing damp clothes into our bags.

I know this is such a huge review, but there are some aspects that really need to be improved before demanding such a premium price for a hostel. The location isn't that fantastic - apart from the square, but getting to the train station is at least 20 minutes by boat. I wouldn't be back even if the accommodation was free. Very very disappointed, a waste of money on food, laundry costs and accommodation.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kyah94
Fabio M, Direttore at Generator Hostel Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Kyah94,

Thank you for posting your long and details review.

We are disappointed to read your comments about the stay.

I understand that you have arrived in one of the most important city events called “Festa del Redentore”, that we also celebrate with all guests since the late 50s.

On that particular night, and as widely promoted, we offered different food options to guests so that can join in with the locals and live this unique experience.

The best sits (outside) were all taken when you arrived. I recognize that it’s a pity, but we couldn’t add more tables and sits as there was no physical space left for us.

The buffet was well appreciated by all guests. In fairness the queue was a bit too long as we were totally flooded all at once, we should have opened a little earlier to have a smother service, and this is the reason why the staff was serving during the buffet.

We are absolutely keen in keeping our safety and cleanliness as well as the customer care, our team is available 24/7 to support and solve issues whenever they might arise. If we only knew about the laundry problem, we could intervene.

As mentioned above, we are keen in keeping our customer service rating at the highest standard, so I would appreciate if you can forward me on your reservation details to fabio@generatorhostels.com so I can investigate further.

We hope to be able to welcome you back, so that we can show you our true spirit.

Safe travels

Reviewed 14 August 2014

The view is amazing from outside, right on the waterfront looking over to the main part of Venice. The reception and bar area is all very modern and swanky, but drinks are very expensive. Staff were friendly enough too.

Although the hostel may look really good and new, they've tried too hard to make it look good and forgotten about customer care during the process. The bathrooms are rubbish, two showers between like 6 rooms (there was 15 in our room alone) with a basically see-through glass door, so yeah people can see you shower. You have to awkwardly attempt to dry and change, when there's someone else right by you and two people using the toilets in the same room. Oh and the guy brushing his teeth right by you too.

Dorms are far too big, we had 15 in our dorm, and it was just too noisy because of that many people moving around. Beds were good with your own little light and charger.

It's a decent hostel in a really good location. Breakfast is quite good too. I'd stay again but in a smaller room, and put up with the bathroom situation if I had to.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mattfjones

Dear Mattfjone,

thanks very much for taking the time to review us.

The whole hostel has been redesigned in favour of creating a unique environment it's great to hear that you had a good stay and look forward to be back one day.

All your comments have been taken on board, but in fairness I am a disappointed to hear that the service was not of your standard. Hope you don't mind share your experience and drop me an e-mail on fabio@generatorhostels.com so that I can fully understand

Wish you safe travel and hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Great hostel, great view, great lobby, great ambiance, nice staff, well-designed. But had to share one shower with 40 people! Plus you could not lock the shower, so, anybody could just get in accidentally and admire your precipus body. Sounds more funny than it actually is... This is just a negative point but for the rest this hostel is great for 20-25 years old people.

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank 19artic96

Dear 19artic96

thanks for taking the time to let us know your feedback, and let me say that it's great to hear that your stay was great.

I have read your comment about the shower, and please let me say for future travellers, that all guests staying in the sharing rooms can have access to all facilities in the hostel.

We have a total of 4 blocks on each floor that can be used 24hr a day, but I take on board your comment and we will look into possibly adding more signs on the floor so that we can avoid queues and guests disappointments.

We hope to welcome you back soon

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Value for money if you want to travel in the high season. Staff were ok but often times standoffish. We paid for a double room which was good however, the room was warm. They said the airconditioning was on but the corridor outside the room was colder by far. Bring mosquito repellent in summer. The island giudecca is lovely but mosquitoes are everywhere at night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cavecaudex

Dear Cavecaude,

thank for sharing your feedback.

It's good to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us.

All our room have the air-co, that can be used at guest discretion. What might have happened is that it has taken a little longer to get the room cool enough for you due to the external hot temperatures.

We look forward welcoming you back in Venice

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Loved everything about this place basically a hotel with a bunch of 20 year olds! Right on the grand canal one stop to saint marco and the front desk is very helpful. Very nice bartenders and drink options. We brought wine and he opened if for us and gave us cups free of charge overall loved it

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Lindssss7

Dear Lindssss7,

thanks for your great review on the Generator Venice.

Delighted to hear you had a great stay and found it value for money and loved the location.

Hope you will return soon so that you can also enjoy one of our special drinks. Again thanks for taking the time to post your comments.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I really liked the Generator, it's a very modern hostel, and everything is brand new. The bar/common room was really cool, and very nicely decorated. We stayed in a 16 bed female dorm, the beds were very comfortable and the people in our dorm were friendly and considerate.The bathrooms are clean, although the floors get a bit wet towards the end of the morning when everyone has been for a shower. The showers aren't very private so I would probably advise bringing a bikini or swimming costume. The location is good as you are only very close to St Marks on the vaporetto, and you get a wonderful view across to St Marks square. It really is wonderful to just sit outside the hostel and look across to the centre of Venice!

The only thing thats stopping me from giving an excellent review is that whenever we were down at the bar area it was always pretty quiet and there wasn't the friendly, fun atmosphere that there was at other hostels we stayed at on our trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Rachelw19

Thanks for your review following your stay.

I do however apologise that you felt our staff were not as friendly as you would have liked as we focus a lot on customer service over the property.

I have passed your comments over to all front line staff and more focus will be placed on customer attention.

Look forward to welcome you back soon