“OK Services, OK Breakfast, but a good location”
Review of Tivoli Hotel

Tivoli Hotel
Ranked #184 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Receptionists spoke only basic English. The owner was not willing to carry my luggage to my room (I injured my wrist and could not carry mine with pains), and when I asked, he complained. I did not like that first impression on this place.

Room is very small. It is very strange that the bathroom has one floor - shower area and the bath area is NOT separated. So when you take shower, the water goes all over the bath area. I did not like it at all. They have a cheap IKEA alike curtain that does not work well.

Breakfast starts late (all other hotels in I stayed in Italy, breakfast time is from 7am), but this place offers breakfast as late as 8am. They have non-brand yogurt, cereals, bread (why German black bread is here in Italy?!!? - I saw many Germans here), rolls, and Italian dry crackers, jams, canned fruit (yes cheap), tea bags (Twinings), and coffee (the worst I had in Italy).

They did not change my towels (only 2 kinds) and when I mentioned the receptionist insisted that they did change. Not a nice word to hear as a customer, no?

I did not really enjoy the stay - but all other hotels were booked and I had no choice. I should have stayed in Mistre or somewhere in the mainland.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank PhiaPhia
There are newer reviews for Tivoli Hotel

Reviewed 16 September 2013

This was a surprisingly nice place to stay at, and the staff was very nice and friendly to us! Room was nice for the price, and the bathroom was nice and clean as well. Breakfast was reasonable, standard meats and cheese and bread, boiled eggs, yoghurt and coffee/tea. You can eat outside as well in the courtyard if you wish! Wifi is free which was nice, and quite fast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank nessarafaelalala
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We picked this one out sight unseen from the Internet and came away quite satisfied. We had a twin room with shared bath; three story walk-up at 80 euro/night. The room was small, 9'x15', with spartan furnishings but the beds were comfortable and everything was quite clean. There was a sink in our room too. The shared bath was very cramped but for an overnight stay, it served its purpose. We appreciated the shuttered windows that kept the morning sun away and our "upper room" was very quiet. The hotel was full but we heard no one. This is one hotel that provides A/C that really works and is controllable! The desk clerk was friendly; the breakfast attendant was a bit officious but kept the table stocked.
Speaking of the included breakfast buffet (8:00-9:30 am), it was adequate but nothing special. Store-bought pastry and breads, hard-boiled eggs, inexpensive sliced ham and cheese, yogurt, cereal and canned fruit cocktail. All the usual juices were on hand too. Quantity made up for quality.
One selling point is that it is well located; just 3-5 min walk from the San Tomo Vaporetto with easy access by water bus to St. Mark's, in one direction, and the train station/port access in the other. A good solid choice for accommodation in Venice.

Room Tip: Our upper story room was very quiet and the shuttered windows extended our night well into time for...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank czken
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed in the quad room with our teenage children. Our parents had a double room down the hall. Location was very convenient for us, between St. Mark's Square and the cruise ship port. Room was clean, breakfast was good, and the owner was friendly. He was happy to answer questions and provide us with directions. I agree with others that the bathroom was small, but you are in Venice. The room was reasonably priced for a quad room, especially if you book directly with the hotel. Noise was not a problem for us, but we were tired. We had a little trouble finding the place the first time. I believe that is true of many hotels in Venice. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nikita606
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Our family recently stayed at the Hotel Tivoli in Venice for two nights. We had a quad for my husband and myself and our two 20-something kids (double and two singles), and our married daughter and her husband and toddler had another room. The room was fine, and the quad had lots of room for a Venice Hotel. The double room with baby bed/pack-n-play was tight spacing. There is a computer and printer off the lobby to print boarding passes, and they were very helpful with directions and reservations. There is wifi on the main floor and lobby. The staff kept the toddler's milk in a refrigerator behind the counter, which was very helpful.

To get to the hotel, take a vaporetto from the train station and get off at the S. Toma stop. Follow the only street until you hit a "T". We got lost the first time and had to circle back. When you get to the clothing store at the end of the street/"T", turn left and over the bridge. Keep going to another main street/"T", and turn right to see the Hotel about a block away.

There is no lift/elevator at the hotel, so be prepared to carry your bags up stairs. There is a lovely courtyard for breakfast (plus an indoor area) and relaxing in the afternoon. There are restaurants very near, including one on the street around the corner near the first station (be sure to look in the windows at their fire badges from around the world - they even invited us in to see the fire boats) and another courtyard restaurant with cats walking along the top of the pergola and vines. Lots of nice shops and deli's selling milk, etc.

This hotel is away from the hustle and bustle of tourist Venice. We came to enjoy the quiet of our street and area. It is about 30 minutes through the busy streets to get to St. Marks and the Rialto Bridge in high season.

I left my camera at a nearby restaurant, and the hotel staff has been unbelievably helpful returning it to me. They call me their "friend", and I feel the same way about their cordial and persistent help.

We recommend taking a water taxi if you are going to the Venice Airport with a large group --- it didn't cost any more than the vaporetto plus land taxi fare, and it was 20-25 minutes of a wonderful water tour through the city, and then high speed across the water to a short walkway to the airport. I'm sure you could also take a water taxi to the hotel from the train station or other tourist spots. The hotel is NOT on a canal, but it's about a half city block away from water access. And the best part is that you don't have to carry your suitcases over any bridges to take the water taxi from the hotel.

We will return to this hotel, and recommend it as great value and a secret of Venice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mia875
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed for two nights in this small and well priced hotel. The location is excellent, right in the heart of Venice just a few minutes' walk from the San Toma Vaporetto stop. The room was clean and comfortable and a good size for the three of us (1 double plus 2 singles). the bathroom was quite cramped, but clean and adequate for our stay. Breakfast was basic but enough to set us up for the day, and the room had air conditioning and free Wi-Fi. Really good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LyndaGarland
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

This review is for the three-person room only. The hotel located at a very nice area of Venice. It located just outside the Main Street so you don't hear the noises but close enough to the main attraction. There were many local eateries around the area which was awesome.

The room was spacious and the bathroom was a decent size compare to the other hotels I stayed in Italy. Wifi is relatively good. One complain though is the air condition which isn't as strong to withstand the summer heat. The hotel offered
breakfast which was good.

One key thing to note that there isn't any elevator or escalator in this hotel (for those who requires it)

• Stayed: August 2013