“A Gem in Venice”

Ranked #193 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Scarborough
“A Gem in Venice”
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

When I arrived, the hotel was ready for me. Check-in was smooth.
I followed the directions to get to my room, opened the door and thought "oh my god". The room was small. Very small to what I was used to.
After getting over my shock, I checked the room out properly. It was very clean, functional and the only noise you had were the birds.
The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the train station and if you can navigate Venice, the hotel is not hard to find and very easy to walk to all the sights in Venice. Note: for those that haven't been to Venice, every bridge has steps both up and down.
The room included a small flat screen tv (but you have to ask for the remote) as well as good free wifi. You do not have a bar fridge.
In Venice, walking from one point to another, straight lines don't really exist but you could say it is practically a straight walk from the hotel to the bus terminal, from the hotel to Realto Bridge and from Realto Bridge to St Marks Square.
Breakfast was wonderful.
The only other negative that probably should be mentioned, is when you check out, the owner will ask for the city tax (euro2.00 per night) in cash with no documentation on top of your room bill.
Overall, this apartment fit the bill and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank typical_guy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Positives:
-Good price for Venice.
-Good free wi-fi service which reaches all rooms and is fast.
-Good location, a lot of restaurants and shops around so you don't have to walk far at night
-Easy to travel, a short walk from the S.Tomà vaporetto pier
-Clean room and good size, some aspects looked recently renovated (new doors, paint etc)
-Big windows into the alley and high ceiling with beams. Nice courtyard near the breakfast room. -Great sense of place
-Would stay again.

Improvement points:
-Very noisy (due to walls?). Could hear discussions in room next door and reception. Could hear toilet and shower clearly all through the night.
-Huge bathroom but shower one third the normal size so it's a mission to have a shower
-No need for the dated bedspread and matching lampshades, they look dirty and old. Hotels nowadays just have the pure white linen - simple and clean.
-Booked a double bed room, got two single beds stuck together.
-Breakfast was so-and-so as there was some variety but nothing fresh. Also extremely hard and stale bread rolls. Why not use focaccia, ciabatta or other Italian bread?
-Guy at the check-in reception said we had to leave our passports with him and to come get them after we leave our bags in the room. We came back 30 minutes later he had not done anything yet (was he on Facebook?) and asked us to leave passports there while we go tour Venice. Not happy, I always carry my passport on me and do not trust leaving it with random people (will the hotel reimburse me if it's stolen? I don't think so!). All other hotels make a copy and give it back on the spot.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A U
Ayr, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Checked in May 19 for one night prior to a cruise. Location was perfect and easy to find by land or water ( did both ). Check in was flawless. We had booked 8 months in advance and had a small room third floor walk up. Sink in the room and shared washroom. All was very clean. Bed a little hard but that's just me.
Breakfast was plentiful with meat, cheese, breads, sweets, juice and hot beverages.
Young man at the check in was a really class act being very helpful, and polite.

In my opinion you cannot beat the value of this very nice small hotel. Being in the heart of Venice with many restaurants and sights nearby.

Thanks to the staff at Hotel Tivoli!

Bob

Room Tip: Remember no elevator so stairs and lots of them.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sebring98
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Tivoli Hotel in a quad room with 4 adults. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. As the room is below the roof, it does get quite hot. The air conditioning didn't work which was switched off centrally. After complaining, it was turned on: thank you! Room was not very big for four. Breakfast is extremely basic. Cappuccino is served upon request, which is not advertised anywhere. No fruits. Juice that contains more water than fruit. Bread is quite dry. Nevertheless, value for money is ok.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Tangier
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We recently had a very upsetting experience in Venice, we booked an apartment and to our dismay our phone calls to tell our contact for the apartment were not answered and if you think you can find free Wifi in Venice, you are sadly mistaken. So after waiting for 2 hours for our apartment contact to show up at the appointed area in the front of a church, we became panicked and we felt pressed for time as it was now after 7pm in a city we didn't know or even know what to do with no place to stay. We found the Tivoli Hotel and told the staff our story and they immediately came to our assistance and offered us two rooms. They weren't sure for the next day if they could accommodate us for another 2 nights or not but the end of the story is happy. They were able, in the end to provide us for rooms for the next two nights. We were happy with the cleanliness of the establishment and they also provided a healthy and filling breakfast of eggs, rolls, sweet rolls, cured meats, cheese, cereals, yogarts, tea, coffee, fresh orange juice and other juices. Rooms were made up daily and we had reliable WiFi - what more can you ask, and the friendly smile and asking how our day was and if there was anything they could do for us. They went out of their way to provide service to their customers. The location was great with shops, stores, restaurants and more close by. There were bars close by and we didn't find it noisy at all. We spent a lovely evening on their patio, that held plants and colourful flowers and the birds singing was so peaceful and enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this hotel to all friends and family going to Venice. Oh and I loved that they held the keys when you went out -- you never had to worry about losing or misplacing. Great place to stay !!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank BluenoserII
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I love Venice, but it is an expensive (and sinking!) city. The other times I've been here, it's been on a cruise ship where you don't have to worry about accommodations. So, I decided to save money on the hotel and enjoy everything venice has to offer. I went for location over amenities. The rooms are small, but as expected. I was traveling alone and didn't mind a tiny bedroom (and it was) and sharing a bathroom down the hall--admittedly a deal-breaker for many travelers. Some would consider the rooms noisy, but it's venice: it's noisy! So are most cities, and since you're really right at street/alley level, you will hear things if you're a light sleeper. I live in a big city so I sleep with he windows open. The room was tiny, but so well-located I did not mind. You're in Venice: you're not gonna spend a lot of time in the hotel room.

Room Tip: It's weird that some rooms are only accessible by going outside through the courtyard and then i...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dana Point, Ca.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had a very spacious room on the second floor. A comfortable bed, tiled bathroom with plenty of hot water, nice linens and two English speaking channels on TV. WiFi was fast and room was very clean.
We were greeted by Thomaso. He was very kind and helped with offering a city map and suggested a few places for "happy hour". He takes pride in his position and is an asset to the hotel.
There is a lovely patio full of blooming plants and plenty of seating. We enjoyed sitting in the evening sipping wine and we also ate breakfast each morning there as the weather was perfect!
The breakfast was plentiful with asst. sweet rolls, cured meats and cheese, fresh juices, hard cooked eggs, cereals and yogurts. The kitchen staff is extremely friendly and focuses on keeping the selection full.
Location is also great. Not too crowded area, but walking distance to many points of interest.
I would recommend Tivoli Hotel to my friends that are planning a trip to Venice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the front entrance. It was very quiet. Good windows
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple