“Terrible hotel with very unhelpful staff”

Locanda Casa Martini
Ranked #149 of 457 Venice B&B and Inns
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Terrible hotel with very unhelpful staff”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Absoloutely horrible. Website is completely deceiving. Claims to be a 3 star, but is not even a 2 star. There were no curtains in the Windows's. the floor was cracked and the wifi was not even working. And the staff were a bunch of idiots to say the least. The rooms were way too small. This hotel was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank lakshmiananthnarayan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Venice, Italy
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Overall this B&B provided me with a really pleasant stay. The rooms were clean and well kept and stayed true to the whole romantic theme, the heavy wooden automatic door was fantastic and added to this feel! The surrounding streets and rooms didn't affect the noise levels, I had a relatively quiet and refreshing stay from the usual hype in Europe.

I didn't have a fridge in my room as some others have mentioned but it wasn't a bother, there is a supermarket and plenty of shops to purchase fresh produce at all times of the day.

For European standards, the continental breakfast provided was ample with enough variety to keep me satisfied, you can eat as much as you like. Breakfast isn't as big a deal in Italy as it is in countries like America and Australia, so there are no fry ups but rather a reflection of the way Italians do it.

The location was fantastic, close to the train station, the main touristy areas in Venice are on your back doorstep. The staff were helpful enough, I only had dealings with one person who was around whenever I needed anything.

Overall, I was really happy with m stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 25
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Fantales N
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2013

The Casa Martini in Venice was fantastically located, clean and quiet, but it promotes itself as a luxury B&B which it isn't. The decor is beautiful and it sets the scene for a Venetian holiday, but the bar fridge is rmpty and doesn't work, the table and furniture are rickety, the bed is on a slope and there are no tea making facilities. Staff are fairly helpful.

• Stayed June 2013
Safi, Malta
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We traveled to Venice in March 2013 and stayed at Casa Martini. Very nice and modern room with a clean bathroom. The reception was very helpful and helped us to book for a couple of things in Venice. Wi-fi network was very strong in our room and not very expensive.

Con:
* hadn't we noticed the television remote, we would have assumed that there was no tv. We then noticed that the television comes out from the mirror.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ylenia_01
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I travelled to Vanice with my friends during the Christmas holiday. We stayed there for a long time and enjoyed their excellent service very much. The rooms are very clean and definitely big enough. The location is good too with a very reasonable price. I really like the employees there, who are all very friendly to us. Even more, they tried a lot of ways to contact me after I left my Iphone in the room when I got back to the UK and finally delivered it to me with their own paying, what an amazing after service! I would say this hotel is my first choice next time I get to Venice so I strongly recommend it to all you guys!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Yumeng
Welling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed at the casa martini early February during the carnival.

Transfer

From Marco Polo airport follow signs to the water taxis. Here you can catch a public water boat into venice for 15 euro per person. Use the red line number 2 and get off at the second stop at Guglie. Turn right then left, the hotel is about 20-30 yards away.

If your willing to splash out take a private water taxi however this will set you back 90 euros.

The hotel is situated in the Cannaregio district of Venice. It is located on top of a shop with the entrance down an ally to the left hand side.

We were greeted by a young gentlemen (not hotel manager) at the door who helped with our luggage. There is a steep stone staircase leading up to the first floor where the reception is located.

The front door is indeed something out of a hammer horror film but adds to the quirkiness of the hotel I suppose!

On checking we were charged €2.50 per person per night for city tax!

Room

We stayed in room 11 which we paid an extra €30 a night. It's well worth the room upgrade. The room was clean with fresh towels provided daily.

The hotel is more of a 2 star rather than a 3 especially if you don't get a room upgrade.

Breakfast

Breakfast is continental and cost €10 per person. It consists on one choice of cheese, ham, breakfast cereal and juice. One bread roll and one croissant each. We could not drink the milk as it had a stale burnt smell and taste! The coffee machine does not work half the time.

If you do not have breakfast included eat somewhere else!

Service in the hotel is very poor. Only ever one member of staff in the hotel of a morning, the rest of the day you will be lucky to find anyone. Most staff do not speak good English.

Location

The hotel is located on a main busy street. It is a 30 minute walk to piazza San Marco. If you don't want to walk catch a public boat from guglie which costs €7 each.

Don't be afraid to venture out of the tourist areas. There's some nice cafes and restaurants that don't charge "tourist prices".

Overall a nice B&B if you get the best rooms, forget the breakfast, and don't need to talk to staff.. Casa Martini needs to be shaken and stirred to improve!

Room Tip: Room 11 is lovely
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angeldustz
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Pros: Location, location, location

Cons: Forget bad service, there was no service.

Almost seemed like there was only 1 employee (he was friendly, but not customer service oriented).

With regards to our stay. The room was so so. Not very vital things but there was no phone, no mini bar, and the smell of humidity coming from the bathroom was very strong. If you can live with these issues than one could say that the rooms are ok.

Some additional complaints: There wasn't anyone at the hotel trying to help with the luggage. I am not expecting a bell boy, but at least the person from the reception could offer some help with the suitcases while we were guided to our room.

As other people already mentioned, the breakfast is pretty bad continental style food. Essentially 2 types of yoghurt, 1 type of ham, 1 type of cheese, some bread, coffee/expressos from a machine that half the time wouldn't work, and again, no service in the breakfast area.<- I had to find an additional plate myself one morning.

Maybe I was expecting too much from a 3 star place. However, the fact that they are using the word Luxury is a severe overstatement. I am tempted to say that if the owner would fix those basic room issues mentioned (phone, minibar, humidity smell) and provide some basic service then it would actually be a very nice place.

Would I recommend this place to a friend? For the price paid, no.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JvR2013

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels