“Where Asians go is a good sign”
Review of Shanghai

Shanghai
Ranked #1,099 of 1,470 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Cannaregio
Neighbourhood: Cannaregio
Reviewed 30 July 2012 via mobile

I don't know about those whingers, but being Asian and have been used to European prices for dishes, this restaurant turned out to be ok for Venice. Travelers should get used to the idea of a cover charge and service charge in Italy. It was cheaper than most restaurants in Venice, IHO. I've looked around and tried that other Chinese restaurant in San Marco square, which was pricier and definitely busier, and this one was better.

Clearly a family-run restaurant, it had that homely appeal and there were lots of Asians, tourists and locals, who were dining on a Sunday night. It was a refreshing change from the hustle and bustle of crowded Venetian restaurants.

I ordered fried rice, siu mai (dumplings), peppered pork ribs, spicy chicken dish. Reasonable total of €30, and quite tasty.

2  Thank HeyAlthea

Reviewed 22 May 2012

We have never eaten such tasteless Chinese food anywhere in the world we have travelled to . It was expensive very small portions. The owner was not interested in our comments about the poor food quality. We mentioned our experience to the concierge at our hotel and she said she would have told us not to go there as the good is very bad. Charging a cover charge is ridiculous and to add insult to injury they add a 10% service charge for 2 people.

1  Thank GolferSouthAfrica
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We two (me and my husband) along with 2 other friends were in Venice, Italy for 3 nights. We reached there on 15th April 2012 and checked out on 18th April. This was our first ever visit to Italy and before reaching Venice, we had been to Rome, Florence & Sorrento. We were put up in a hotel near the railway station. This Shanghai restaurant in Cannaregio was in walking distance from our hotel. We saw a small advertisement just outside the railway station and went to check on the food. It was 9 pm and we were very hungry. We saw that there was no one except us in the restaurant. We were greeted properly and the menu card arrived. We saw that the prices were quite reasonable and we were more than happy to order whatever we liked. For 4 of us, we ordered 2 rice dishes, 1 chowmein and 2 chicken side dishes along with 1 plate of pork dumpling. We were shocked to see the quantity of the food. Eventually we had to order for 2 more rice items to barely meet our appetite. Although the taste of the food was ok, we felt being cheated on the quantity of the food. Like many other restaurants, this restaurant also charged us Euro 4 as cover charge, which was not mentioned anywhere in the restaurant or in the menu card. We had to literally shout to get the attention of the people of the restaurant to get our bill and other stuff and staff almost vanished from the scene just after serving our food. Then one of us went to look for someone and found a lady in the counter. We were handed our food bill there itself.

Worst experience ever.....strongly recommend that no one should go to this restaurant. We regret that we failed to click a picture of this restaurant for better identification.

1  Thank DebsDeep
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My spouse wanted to have a Chinese dinner and we went to this restaurant, just around the Railway station. It is big for Venetian standards, poorly decorated; it had only three Chinese ladies as costummers who left shortly after we arrived.
We ordered a soup (€6.50), rice spaghettis with vegetables (€4.50), a small (200 gr) boiled fish, a bowl of white rice (€2.20), a Chinese beer (€4) and a small bottle of water (€2.20). The food was OK, far from being delicious; our surprise came when the bill was €42.40 !!!
The price of the fish on the menu was "S.Q.", which I understood meant "según quilo" or "accordind to weight", but I never imagined that the fish was €100 per kilo !!!.
I was about to say something, but my spouse asked me to keep quiet, which I did, but now I am venting my anger about this rip off.

3  Thank phayaoThailand
Reviewed 20 November 2011

If you are tired of pasta, pizza everyday... this is the place to do... found it by chance when walking near the train station. Had dinner there and it was very good.
So good that we even went there a 2nd time 2 days later.

1  Thank TeddySyd888