“I've stayed here 5 times!”

Hotel Ala - Historical Places of Italy
Ranked #77 of 385 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“I've stayed here 5 times!”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stayed at Ala 5 times between 1997 and 2009, and I can definitely recommend it as a comfortable and reliable place to call home when visiting this gorgeous city. Location-wise it's fantastic: it's literally across the piazza from the Gritti Palace hotel, and a short walk to Piazza San Marco, and just steps from La Fenice, the opera house. Also, on the piazza that backs the hotel, you'll find a traghetto stop: traghetti are amazing! It's a gondola that simply goes back and forth across the Grand Canal, for 50 cents per person. The hotel underwent renovation in the mid-2000's and the upgrades were really nice (I stayed there 3x pre-reno, and 2x post-reno). It's not as upscale as its sister hotel, Pensione Accademia, but it;s still a great place. One thing that tempers my otherwise-great review: On my 2nd visit there (in the year 2000) we had a problem in that the A/C was broken in our rooms (it was June/July so it was HOT) and unfortunately our rooms were on ground level facing the sidewalk outside (with passers-by at eye-level) so you couldn't open the windows because there were people out there! But after our first 2 days in that horrible situation, the hotel moved us up to higher-floor rooms with working A/C and balconies that overlooked the canal that ran alongside the hotel. So the lesson here is this: you don't want the ground-floor rooms because the windows (literally) open onto the sidewalk, and this is especially true if you're traveling in the warm months because throughout Italy, A/C has a bad habit of breaking down as soon as the summer starts. Everywhere. In every hotel. If you can afford the extra $$, I'd request an upper-floor room that overlooks the canal. Those balconies are lovely.

About me: I'm a picky traveler but I'm not THAT high-maintenance. I just want a decent hotel that's clean and comfortable and that I don't mind returning to at the end of the day. I can't afford the luxury of a Gritti Palace or Hotel Danieli, but I like to find the best that I can within my price range. So my 2 default hotels in Venice are Hotel Ala and the Pensione Accademia. They're reliable and you won't be disappointed in them.

(Please note: you have to select a date for "When did you travel" and it only goes back to 2011. My comments reflect my stays between 1997-2007).

Room Tip: In the warmer months, avoid ground-level rooms just in case the A/C breaks: your windows open right...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank GlobusWorldTrav

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
melbourne
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed here in July 2012. It is really easy to find - just take one of the ferry's outside the train station to Giglio station. It is a 2 minute walk from that stop. The hotel itself is quite old, dated and rundown. There are many stairs and the lifts only go up to level 2 - which makes carting luggage around a problem. The positives to the hotel are the location and the rooftop area although it is quite small. Negative - the room we had was tiny, like ridiculously small. Also wifi was 1 Euro per day, per person - surely we live in a day and age were wifi is now free at hotels?
We originally planned to stay at this hotel for 2 days - but we completed Venice in a day - so left earlier. Venice is beautiful but I would recommend a day to do it in - it's not that big :).

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to a larger room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beqbeq
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This hotel was clean and well priced with a good buffet breakfast. We over looked the canal which was perfect. Again because there was a heat wave the air conditioning could not keep up but for our two night stay it was good. The bar was excellent and cool and when our friend needed to rest after we checked out they let us stay in the common area. We would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Easton, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 13 July 2012

With courteous service, impressive design, and spacious, high-ceilinged rooms, the Best Western Ala Venice was a steal at under 150$ a night and a place I wish I could have spent more than one night in.

Let’s get my one negative out of the way first – the wifi was terrible. I could barely get anything to load and they charged me (albeit only a euro) for the privilege of using it. Now my room was the last one down its hallway so for all I know my experience wasn’t representative of the rest of the hotel, but it was frustrating.

Now, other than that everything about the hotel was great. The location was excellent – a minute from a vaporetto stop and a very short walk to St. Marks. The Rialto is also within easy walking distance, as is pretty much everything in the lagoon, provided you can find it.

My room was also terrific – high ceilings, lots of space, and a much larger bathroom than I was expecting with lots of bells and whistles (heated towel racks!). The breakfast was free and a good spread, though nothing exceptional. Expect hard-boiled eggs, cold cuts, cereal, pastries, cheeses, and juices. The public areas of the hotel are pleasing, though the hallways are rather labyrinthine, and the staff was very pleasant and helpful during my stay.

All things considered, I heartily recommend the Best Western Ala Venice. I felt like I got a far better hotel than the *** rating and price indicated I would.

TIP: Navigating Venice can seem very tricky when you haven’t been, but the hotel’s actually pretty easy to get to. From the airport, take the ATVO bus to Piazzale Roma (5 euro) and then head down to the water to find the Vaporetto Ticket Office. Buy a ticket on Line number 1 and then get off at the Giglio stop. When you get off you’ll find yourself in an alleyway. Walk down it for about 1 minute and then the hotel will be on your left.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James K
Denton
Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

We booked Hotel Ala for 2 nights after our cruise. We really liked the location, we could walk to all the tourist spots. Our room was fine, it was a deluxe corner room, with view of the side canal and 2 bridges. I find most rooms in Europe small but this was okay for a few nights. Our room had a tub/shower combo with shower doors that slid across, but leaked pretty bad when you took a shower. The breakfast was fine. The area was safe, I went walking, and shopping by myself while my husband took a nap. The staff answered questions, and ordered water taxis for us and was generally helpful.
We had friends meet us in Venice, they stayed here also. We all agreed we would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The Hotel Ala has just got better the longer I know it! It is my hotel of choice when in Venice - and I often recommend it to friends. From the bustling breakfast rooms to the quiet lounge and friendly bar - there is something for every need here.
Particularly noteworthy is the location- on a lovely little square, which is a short walk from San Marco and close to lots of eateries.
Of course Venetian hotel rooms are all on the small side - and the Ala is no exception! The hotel's amenities, service and surroundings more than compensate.

Room Tip: You can have a room which overlooks the small canal or the square. These might sometimes be a little...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The hotel location is very good. We arrived by train and had 3 nights reservation. The location is just 1 min away from the Vaparetto stop. The hotel staff is friendly and they are ready to answer and help you with all your questions. Their breakfast is very good and they have a variety of food available. The room is very clean and has a personal safe. We did not get a room facing the canal (this did not bother us since we were out most of the time) but we could hear Gondoliers singing when passing by. It is very close to the San Marco area (5-6min walking). All visiting locations are within walking distance. Lots of restaurants around to explore. This hotel was a blessing for us since in our previous location (Florence) we had a bad hotel experience. The AC was good and yes this is very important if you are visiting Italy during summer.

Room Tip: When booking ask for the rooms facing the canal
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family