2,856 results
All reviews american bar giglio stop great location santa maria del giglio water taxi san marco square small canal singing gondoliers minute walk roof terrace grand canal orange line canal view hotel bar accademia bridge quiet square gondolas passing
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Venice is . . . well, there aren't enough superlatives. The hotel ala fits right in with them. As a frequent visitor I always feel welcomed and that my business is appreciated. To be greeted by name is more reason to love this hotel. Even the waiter at breakfast remembers my name! Every year I plan my time in Italy around my time in Venice. Every year I seem to stay longer, or at least want to. Hotel ala deserves a big part of the credit for that!!!

Room Tip: Check the special offers but check themearly
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This hotel location could not be more ideal. The rooms are small but functional with typical Italian " old world charm" It has a lovely rooftop balcony The breakfast area is a bit claustrophobic but the selections are delicious and plentiful. There are higher end hotels in this part of Venice that you could pay more for but this is all you need. I was pensive about booking something with the best western association (and the staff is not too friendly) but I enjoyed my stay. Especially the selection of antique artillery in the lobby. One downside was the wi-fi was shoddy. Overall I would stay again but there are so many options in Venice I'd like to see some others.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We only spent one night at this hotel, but wish we stayed longer. Our room was right next to a canal -- about two floors up -- we woke up to the sound of Gondoliers singing just below our open window. Priceless. The breakfast buffet was incredible as well and included in the room rate. Our room was very nice and had one of the best bathrooms we've had in Italy. The staff was very nice as well.

Room Tip: Our room number was 243! Two floors up from the canal level. Highly recommend.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara J
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We spent two nights at the Hotel Ala. It was a great experience. The rooms were on the small side, but clean and comfortable. The breakfast was great. It hotel is in a great place. If you take a train into Venice, make sure you take the Bus #1 . The hotel is one block from the stop or private taxi takes you right to hotel. The hotel is in a great location-by great restaurants, shops and attractions.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The location of this hotel is just about its only redeeming feature. It is well situated at Giglio station on the Vaporetto, and very well placed for walking to most of the prime sites, such as St Mark's Square, Rialto, Accademia.
Other than that, the negatives were the unfriendly, unhelpful restaurant staff, the lack of hot water for showering, being lukewarm at best, and for the facilities offered, very over-priced.
Maybe we were spoilt in Verona, but I would not recommend this hotel, and won't be in any great rush to return to Venice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple