2,922 results
All reviews american bar giglio stop great location santa maria del giglio water taxi mark's square gondoliers singing small canal grand canal minute walk orange line hotel bar rooftop terrace canal view quiet square pastries gondolas passing
Reviewed 22 October 2013

After a very long day of travel, my husband arrived at this hotel several hours prior to check in time. After a short wait we were shown to our room & found it small, but larger than many European hotel rooms, & very comfortable & clean. The bathroom was very large, with a double sink. The front desk staff was pleasant, and helpful in suggesting nearby restaurants. They also arranged our trip to Murano for Sunday morning. I thought that they served a good breakfast; it was much the same as any European breakfast. They did serve scrambled eggs, & some kind of sausage, probably as a courtesy to all the Americans staying there. One of the reviews I read has issues with the hot water. We had no problems with the hot water. We did have a burned out light bulb, which was replaced immediately, and a very noisy a/c fan. We reported it our first night, & it was fixed the next day. The location is very convenient. It is about a 5 minute walk from St. Mark's Square, & only 2 minutes (or less) from the Giglio vaporetto stop. I would go back to the Hotel Ala in a heartbeat..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights prior to a cruise. Great location - we walked everywhere. Rooms are small (to be expected) and bed/pillows a bit hard. But we weren't in the room very often so it was fine. Complimentary breakfast is very nice and the staff was pleasant as well. Would stay here again if we return!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Hotel is located 7 minutes walk from San Marco square, very nice looking and stylish building. Old school (in a good way) reception with nice hall and knights and swords and all ancient looking staff :))) Our room was 150 euro / night; it was tiny but very nice with a balcony looking into the canals where we could listen to serenades! Great experience and value.

The breakfast was very good, with one of the best cakes I've ever had :) Plus omelette, selection of ham/cheese, etc.

On the negative side, there were masquitos in the room: which you might expect in a town like Venice or Brugge, though. The hotel had anti-masquito thing (like tissue with aroma) but we found it only in the morning:(

Overall, this was a great experience. I will certainly reccomend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank AnnieTern
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We just concluded a 5 night stay in Venice at the Hotel Ala. The weather was great this time of year however, it was warm and necessitated we have open windows, since we were on the 4th floor and the heat did rise. Unfortunately the management deems it too late to run their air conditioning. Our room was odd in that it had a central portion of the ceiling which was raised and about 15 or 16 feet high. The window was up there. We were shown how to open it the first night however since it started at about 9 feet, we had no view of anything but the sky. Then the mosquitoes came. I have 30 plus bites on my face. The rest of me was covered with a sheet, and that was too hot. One night I managed to get one of the little demons but unfortunately I smeared the wall with the blood he had already consumed. That being said, the cleanliness is impeccable, the breakfast is abundant and good. For breakfast there are eggs, meats, fruits, yogurts breads and pastries. The kitchen staff was very gracious and helpful.. I felt as if the desk clerks were a bit haughty, but perhaps my view is jaded by my bites.

Room Tip: Avoid the canal side and try for lower floors I hope they are cooler.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank goombai
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Staying in Venice can be a challenge with so many visitors. Hotel Ala is conveniently located in a quiet area with easy access to all the top sites and good restaurants. Easy to reach by water taxi. The staff was helpful with good advice and very friendly. Our room over looked a canal so we were often serenaded by the passing gondolas! Our room was average in size. We find most European hotel rooms to be on the smaller side. We managed. We would recommend the Hotel Ala.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple