“unique hotel in good location”
Review of Ca' Pisani Hotel

Ca' Pisani Hotel
Ranked #16 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Minnetonka, Minnesota
“unique hotel in good location”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here in February 2012-- during a 30-year cold snap. Thankfully, the hotel upgraded us to a room with a jacuzzi tub, which we used often to defrost after wandering/getting lost in 20-degree Venice. As many others have noted, the hotel is in art deco style, and there are numerous thoughtful decorating details throughout. I'm not a huge fan of art deco, but there's no denying (and appreciating) this hotel's design. Location was great-- a bridge and short walk to San Marco square. We liked being a bit away from the ground zero of tourism in Venice. Breakfast was also great. Don't be shy about asking for a cappuccino (or two). My only complaint about the hotel was the mattress in the room. When booking, I'd ask for a room with a newer mattress. I'm giving this hotel four stars instead of five only because I'm opposed to grade inflation running rampant on TA, and I like to save a five rating for the truly exceptional. If I return to Venice, I would not hesitate to stay here again, and I would recommend it to friends.

Beyond the hotel itself, our favorite restaurant was A Beccafico, where we ate twice. The owner (from Sicily, I believe) is very hands-on and engaged. Dinners started with a small pre-dinner cocktail and amuse bouche. For our second dinner, we needed to eat very early by Italian standards because of our flight departing at 6:00 am the next day. A Beccafico sat us very early (not sure the restaurant was even open), and the owner insisted on a comp'd dessert to end the meal (sorbet in a lemon-- fabulous). Vegetarians (like me) must be prepared to show a bit of flexibility in Venice-- it is a seafood town. The hotel desk will help you make reservations and has good recommendations.

Being good tourists, we made our way to Harry's Bar. Overrated. 20 euro tiny martinis-- for a moment I thought I was in NYC (except the martinis would have been bigger).

Shopping tips: Giuseppe Biasin, Salizada S. Polo (campo S. Polo) 2094 Venezia, had interesting hand-made etchings-- unique souvenirs that aren't masks! Il Prato, Calle delle Ostreghe, 2456/9 30124 Venezia, had great paper products. Serena Vianello had the best women's hats ever. Campo S. Aponal - San Polo 1226 - 30125 Venezia. (Sorry if I butchered these addresses.)

FInally, it can be very expensive to get to the airport. We had to use a private water taxi followed by a van, given the hour our flight left and concern about freezing canals (I can't make that up). The 30-minute transfer, which commenced at 4:30 am, cost 150 euros. This is the only time I felt a bit ripped off in Venice. The hotel arranged this transfer-- I question if there really weren't less expensive options. Anyway, I believe there's a public water taxi to the airport-- just make sure your flight leaves at a reasonable hour so that the taxis are running. They were not at 4:30 am.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a newer mattress.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank m3grrl
serandreica'pisani, Owner at Ca' Pisani Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
dear ms. m3grrl,
thank you for your extensive review. it is always useful to read the comments by our guests, because there is always something to learn.
you actually came during the coldest period of last winter, so I am glad you highly appreciated the jacuzzi in your room, and hope you also enjoyed the steam bath on the last floor.
I am sorry for the mattress: we are now in the process of changing it: in fact, even it it was quite new, for some reasons I do not know, was not hard enough. so next time - if you stay in the same room - it would be perfect!
as for the transfer, you are right: very early in the morning there are basically no public transportation to and from the airport, and due to the iced parts of the lagoon, the best way was to go through piazzale Roma.
thank you for your nice overall nice comments, and hope to see you again, here at 'ca' pisani'!
marianna serandrei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hatfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Ca' Pisani tries to be a little different and it works. We had four nights here and found the room welcoming and comfortable. They have really tried to make the place special. Modern items like TV, mini bar and safe are built into antique furnishings; towelling robes and slippers are free; and the shower had a rather sinister looking handheld device for "accurate rinsing :-)". All guests were invited to a cocktail party on our first night by the manager.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel and it was excellent - squeeze your own orange juice and a wide selection of meat, cheese, fruit, yoghurt and some hot food.

The staff could not have been more helpful. I forgot the combination for my suitcase and after trying manfully to break in, the concierge was about to use bolt cutters. Then I remembered!

The hotel is perfectly located within 3-4 minutes walk of both Accademia Bridge and Zattere. Both of these have vaporetto (water bus) stops. Once we found how to use them (very easy) we spent most of the holiday on these brilliant examples of public transport. Single trips are expensive (6.50 Euros) but 24- or 36-hour passes are good value.

Room Tip: Room 3 was very nice. No view but otherwise fine.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Forres, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2012

1st trip review stayed in room 9 on 1st floor it was great. 1st class.

This trip room 27 on 2nd floor shower mixer is tempremental getting a comfortable shower can be a challange.
Hotel food, we only had the breakfast all was well fresh oranges to press every moring is the best. Ask for a coffee by the cup eg an espresso or latte is you ask for a pot it comes from a vending machine as it does not taste good. The fresh coffee is very good. We ate out every evening as there is so much local choice.

The room did not have a seperate shower and the bath although a jacuzzi bath was small.

There are too many local restaurants to list but those in ther area behind the hotel away from the main water ways are cheep and of a much higher quality where all the locals eat. Saturday nights you will have to be either very early or have to book a table. Those speaking Italian will get a table over a tourist just speaking their own language.

The hotel was suffering from a bad sewage smell for part of the week which is a common Venice problem in the warm weather.

Take some insect repellant this last week was very bad 14 bites in 4 days is high for me (13th March to 18th March 2012). Rooms were very hot at 24C no one could tell me how to adjust the a/c it seemed to be locked so could not be adjusted (or perhaps they did not want me too?) this forces you to open windows and face the insect attacks. The other problem this brings is noise from the streets echoing around the close buildings and narrow streets which leads to poor sleep. Its not like im awkward or incapable as im an a/c engineer and know when something is not working.

Would i stay here again?????? after 2 visits and as this one was not as good as the first i would say maybe not.

I do intend to return to Venice but knowing the city quite well i would put more prioity to comfort over looks. The hotel is very well equipped and good to look at but if it means sleeping well and getting less insect bites then i would try another hotel.

Would i stay here again.............. yes i would but we want to try other places

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the left hand side of the hotel as it backs on to another hotel and gets no passin...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carlo198
serandreica'pisani, Owner at Ca' Pisani Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
dear Carlo198,
thank you very much for your review, and especially because you decided to visit us again after one year.
I am glad that overall you gave us a good rating, and am of course sorry that there were some small details which were not perfect.
but I would like to try to answer to a couple of small matters you listed in your review:
temperature: twice a year (basically spring and autumn) it could be not easy to satisfy everybody: in fact, some guests wish to have the air conditioning on, others still want the heating. we therefore have to try to satisfy all of them, but not all rooms are the same: some are warmer than others. the temperature can usually be adjusted directly by the guests in their own room (3 rooms higher or lower the one which is indicated), and then form the reception guys downstairs. of course, if for a few days both the heating and air conditiong are off, it would not be possible to considerably change the temperature indicated in the room, but a few degrees higher or lower. Venice, also, is in the water, so it goes without saying that in some cases there are flies...we actually give to our guests, if they ask, some repellant (or the small machines which you plug and should keep them away).
as for the noise, I also understand that some people, who are used to cars, can be disturbed by people's voices or the noise of someone walking. but it is quite rare and usuallyu everyone says that here it is a peaceful area...sorry if you did not enjoy your sleep at the most!
as for shower and bath: we have a maintenance person on duty everyday, so in case of any technical problem guests can ask the reception and the guy will solve the problem (or, at least, do his best to solve it!), while the bathtub is kind of standard size, with hydrosystem in it.
well, in Italy we use to say 'twice means three times', so let's hope you will give us another chance in the future!
kind regards, and thank you for yout rime,
Singapore
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Service is top-notch. The staff is professional, not over-intrusive and both restaurants recommended were local eateries that serve wholesome food. The room size was big, nicely partitioned for luggage storage. We had one of the rooms on the top floor, and it was nice to have natural sunlight coming in from the rooftop, in the bathroom and also the luggage storage room. There was a kettle and free flow tea bags/ coffee on each floor, which is a nice touch; considering how rare drinking hot water is available in all the hotels we stayed throughout Italy. Breakfast is one of the most memorable part of the stay. The crossiants were crispy, cheese, bacon, ham were all fresh. Dining room at the basement was bright and spacious. We had a great experience staying here, and away from the main crowd from San Marco. Nice neighbourhood, great location!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Belleville, Illinois
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Although this review is over nine months late, I felt compelled to write.

We arrived in Venice in the middle of the night due to a missed flight from Frankfurt. After finding our way to the Hotel Ca' Pasani, we were warmly welcomed.

Our room exceeded our expectations. It was very large, by European standards. The huge bathroom, with whirlpool, was an unexpected bonus. They even provided liquid laundry detergent which I used in the bathtub in my make-shift washing machine. Of course there was a laundry line in the shower stall.

The entire hotel was tastefully decorated. The morning breakfast, sitting outside on the avenue, was charming. It was a great place to sit and people watch.

Besides the great location of the hotel, the best part was the staff. All spoke English and went out of their way to be helpful. I especially want to mention Miriam M. at the reception desk. She was kind and her English was great. I believe her mother was from England.

We would not hesitate to return to this hotel and to recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kar62223
Paris, France
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Stayed 4 nights at the Ca'Pisani in August 2011. The hotel offers a truly great product, considering the organizational difficulty in Venice (delivery & collection of the smallest thing has to be done by boat and/or by means of men's strength...)

The Art Déco room was truly cosy and classy, and the vintage furniture - of very high quality - matches the Palazzo decorum very well. Yes it is not huge but it is perfectly fine for Venice and the bathroom was great with a bubble bath. Hotel staff delivers a great service while not being over zealous (which I personally appreciate). The terrace is delightful. The breakfast is simply the best I've ever had in Italy.

Only the sheets could have been a litlle better - they were a bit worn. But this is a very minor point -- overall, this is a great place to stay in Venice and excellent value for money.

(Location, ease of access, etc. has already been amply described by other travelers!)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shdyne
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed here for four nights in October 2011. Location was terrific. We had a duplex room - small living room area on the first floor and the bedroom on the second. Bathroom was well appointed. Breakfast was very good and the employees in the dining room were very friendly. Front desk staff was unfriendly. Not rude, just unfriendly and robotic. Since they are the first people I saw, it impacted my perception of the hotel. My several interactions with them, including checkout are what make this hotel 4 stars instead of 5.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
serandreica'pisani, Owner at Ca' Pisani Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
dear Walter M,
thank you very much for review. the staff and I are all very happy about your comments, even if I have to admit that the ones on the reception surprised me quite a lot, considering that usually everybody is making lot of compliments on the guys working there. of course I respect what you wrote, just I am trying to think about whom could be defined in that way, and no names comes up to my mind.
it would be great if you could give me a description of the person involved, so I could make some deeper thoughts and then let you know. if you wish, please send an email to: serandrei@capisanihotel.it