“Very good choice”

Ranked #16 of 385 Hotels in Venice
New York, New York
“Very good choice”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

This hotel has several advantages, chief of which is the location. Just behind the Accademia, its bridge and vaporetta station, a quiet Dorsoduro street blocks away from the Zattere, within easy walking distance to the Dogana, Santa Maria dell Salute, the Guggenheim, San Stefano, Fenice, and walking distance to everything else in the city. The well appointed, very clean hotel features a very helpful staff, great breakfasts, pleasant rooms with copious closet space and all the amenities one would expect. it may seem a bit trendy, some of the staff are much warmer than others (but all are very helpful), and the service in the restaurant/wine bar, while satisfactory, could be more efficient (it's much better for a relaxed breakfast or aperetivo than for a quick coffee or drink when one has to get somewhere). All in all, we had a very nice stay and would consider coming back to the Ca Pisani.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tripadwiser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Carlos
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My husband and I came here for our 25th wedding anniversary. The hotel is a very modern, trendy hotel with excellent service and amenities. Upon our arrival, the desk clerk discovered it was our anniversary and had a complimentary bottle of champagne sent up to us! We were also upgraded to a larger room with a bed/couch and 2 full bathrooms. The room itself is very nice - large, clean, modern, whimsical and fun. There is a rooftop terrace to enjoy a drink, coffee, etc. and a 'European' view.

The price of the room also came with a buffet breakfast - the breakfast was more than adequate with a wide variety of foods plus a selection of gluten-free foods (for those who may be interested in this).

I loved this hotel!!! Though it is more than I'd like to spend on a room, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Anderson, California
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We loved our stay here! This was one of our last stops on a 12 day trip to Italy and it was a great place! The staff that greeted us and took the luggage to the room were very friendly. The concierge was very helpful- getting us reservations for a beautiful dinner and even sending someone out to send off our postcards. Great service! The room was good- we loved the fact that there was a tub in the bathroom- a jacuzzi tub even- as most other hotels only had a shower stall. The bed was spacious though a little bumpy (it seemed one side was a little more worn than the other). Everything was kept wonderfully clean! Great location as well- removed from the hustle and bustle but close enough that walking wasn't an imposition (Accademia Bridge takes you into the heart of things and is only a minute away). The gentleman playing the accordion outside our window was a lovely soundtrack for our time there as well!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Birmingham
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Having been to Venice, once before, we decided to stay in this location, Dorsorduro, because it was more up-market, more spacious and less invaded by tourists. I investigated all the hotels, in this region, and chose Ca' Pisani because I love Art Deco. We were not dis-appointed. The room was not the largest that we have ever had in Italy but, there was ample space and the bed was larger than king-size. The bathroom was amazing! Plenty of wardrobe and drawer space but, as is typical in most hotels, not enough clothes hangers. My only complaint was that the mattress was lower on one side, than the other - it felt as if I was falling out of the bed. The staff were friendly and efficient and the breakfast was very good - scrambled and boiled eggs, bacon, sausages, cold meats and ham, cheese, a good selection of breakfast cereals, fresh fruit and pastries and a variety of teas and coffees, served in the restaurant on the lower ground floor. The hotel is spotless and, unusually for many hotels, the bed linen was changed every day - nice, crisp, clean cotton sheets and pillowcases every day and, as a charming touch, a small tin of sweets is left on the bed every evening. Close to the Accedemia bridge, the Ca' Pisani is not far from the centre of Venice yet, away from the hustle and bustle of tourists. We would definitely stay here again and be happy to recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
So. CA
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Visited this hotel last spring, when prices were a bit cheaper (could get a room for just over $200US). Lovely room, best bathroom I've ever been in (navy blue speckled granite everywhere, modernist style, good sized, really lovely). Room was well-designed with a separate sitting area that can be screened off. Small cafe downstairs was just perfect with breakfast, coffee, wine, etc. Staff were helpful. The design can't be beat if you enjoy this style.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
new york
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This hotel was wonderful! The staff was warm, helpful, and wonderful! We were two women traveling together and when we checked in they asked if one queen was what we had requested. We told them no and they upgraded us to a loft apartment! We had a small living room and up some stairs we had two single beds in a loft bedroom. The accommodations were great! The hotel is a ten minute walk from St. Mark's Square and in a very quiet neighborhood. If you want more action or views, this is not the place to stay, but if you want a short walk to the action, this is a great hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here in February 2012-- during a 30-year cold snap. Thankfully, the hotel upgraded us to a room with a jacuzzi tub, which we used often to defrost after wandering/getting lost in 20-degree Venice. As many others have noted, the hotel is in art deco style, and there are numerous thoughtful decorating details throughout. I'm not a huge fan of art deco, but there's no denying (and appreciating) this hotel's design. Location was great-- a bridge and short walk to San Marco square. We liked being a bit away from the ground zero of tourism in Venice. Breakfast was also great. Don't be shy about asking for a cappuccino (or two). My only complaint about the hotel was the mattress in the room. When booking, I'd ask for a room with a newer mattress. I'm giving this hotel four stars instead of five only because I'm opposed to grade inflation running rampant on TA, and I like to save a five rating for the truly exceptional. If I return to Venice, I would not hesitate to stay here again, and I would recommend it to friends.

Beyond the hotel itself, our favorite restaurant was A Beccafico, where we ate twice. The owner (from Sicily, I believe) is very hands-on and engaged. Dinners started with a small pre-dinner cocktail and amuse bouche. For our second dinner, we needed to eat very early by Italian standards because of our flight departing at 6:00 am the next day. A Beccafico sat us very early (not sure the restaurant was even open), and the owner insisted on a comp'd dessert to end the meal (sorbet in a lemon-- fabulous). Vegetarians (like me) must be prepared to show a bit of flexibility in Venice-- it is a seafood town. The hotel desk will help you make reservations and has good recommendations.

Being good tourists, we made our way to Harry's Bar. Overrated. 20 euro tiny martinis-- for a moment I thought I was in NYC (except the martinis would have been bigger).

Shopping tips: Giuseppe Biasin, Salizada S. Polo (campo S. Polo) 2094 Venezia, had interesting hand-made etchings-- unique souvenirs that aren't masks! Il Prato, Calle delle Ostreghe, 2456/9 30124 Venezia, had great paper products. Serena Vianello had the best women's hats ever. Campo S. Aponal - San Polo 1226 - 30125 Venezia. (Sorry if I butchered these addresses.)

FInally, it can be very expensive to get to the airport. We had to use a private water taxi followed by a van, given the hour our flight left and concern about freezing canals (I can't make that up). The 30-minute transfer, which commenced at 4:30 am, cost 150 euros. This is the only time I felt a bit ripped off in Venice. The hotel arranged this transfer-- I question if there really weren't less expensive options. Anyway, I believe there's a public water taxi to the airport-- just make sure your flight leaves at a reasonable hour so that the taxis are running. They were not at 4:30 am.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a newer mattress.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank m3grrl
serandreica'pisani, Owner at Ca' Pisani Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
dear ms. m3grrl,
thank you for your extensive review. it is always useful to read the comments by our guests, because there is always something to learn.
you actually came during the coldest period of last winter, so I am glad you highly appreciated the jacuzzi in your room, and hope you also enjoyed the steam bath on the last floor.
I am sorry for the mattress: we are now in the process of changing it: in fact, even it it was quite new, for some reasons I do not know, was not hard enough. so next time - if you stay in the same room - it would be perfect!
as for the transfer, you are right: very early in the morning there are basically no public transportation to and from the airport, and due to the iced parts of the lagoon, the best way was to go through piazzale Roma.
thank you for your nice overall nice comments, and hope to see you again, here at 'ca' pisani'!
marianna serandrei