“Location, location, location!”
Review of Ca' Pisani Hotel

Ca' Pisani Hotel
Ranked #15 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We are frequent visitors to Venice but had never previously stayed in Dorsoduro. It won't be our last because this hotel is a gem. It is situated equidistant from the Zattere and Accademia vaporetto stops - the former conveniently being on the Alilaguna route from the airport at 15€ pp each way - and only a short walk or boat trip from the crowds of Piazza San Marco. By contrast, Dorsoduro is never very busy during the day and is even quieter in the evening. The Guggenheim, Santa Maria della Salute and the Scuola Grande of San Rocco are all less than a 10 minute walk away and the hotel virtually backs on to the Accademia gallery. There are better (and much cheaper) bars, restaurants and cafes in this part of the city than you will find in the vicinity of St. Mark's.

There were many things we liked about Ca Pisani in addition to its great location and very few we could criticise. During our 4 night stay, we encountered 3 or 4 different people on the reception desk and every one of them offered a great concierge service. Whether it was making restaurant reservations, organising trips to the islands or arranging a water taxi to the airport, they were unfailingly helpful and courteous. (On arrival, we were also given a proper guide book as opposed to the usual cheap map filled with adverts and we used this throughout our stay.) Housekeeping was similarly proficient and unobtrusive; we liked the little nets of fruit pastilles left on the pillow each evening.

Ca Pisani was one of the first design hotels in Venice and whilst some of its 'state of the art technology' is now old hat, the rooms are of reasonable size, well-furnished and equipped including a safe, 2 (!) TVs, mini-bar, sufficient hanging and storage space. Ice and coffee-making facilities were available in the 2nd floor lobby. The bathroom was a good size, finished in marble and chrome, with a good multi-jet shower and a jacuzzi bath-tub. A few criticisms: the bed was hard and quite uncomfortable, the air conditioning a bit erratic and a right-handed person would need to be a contortionist to use the toilet roll holder in the bathroom. All rooms have free and reliable Wi Fi. The public areas of the hotel are attractively furnished with Art Deco antiques and curios. The roof terrace offers great views of the Venetian skyline (and of the vast and hideously inappropriate cruise ships making their way down the Giudecca Canal at the end of the street) and there is seating outside the hotel where you can sip your spritz and watch the world go by.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LaDolceVita27
There are newer reviews for Ca' Pisani Hotel

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful hotel in late July. After spending a week in Croatia we wanted to extend our layover in Venice to three days. It was a great decision as the weather was spectacular and we were able to explore all of Venice from the central location of Pisani. While I had heard the rooms were quite small as is the case for many hotels in Europe, in actual fact the room was very luxurious though compact. While just around the corner from Accademia, it was peaceful and within convenient walking distance to major sights and local restaurants. The staff were very professional, helpful and courteous. The morning breakfast buffet was superb to the point we only had a very light lunch. Lots of great art deco touches such as the coffee trays inside the tables or the furnishings throughout. We will definitely recommend and return!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We actually stayed here a couple of years ago one August but I didn't know about Tripadvisor then.
The hotel was so close to the waterfront we nearly walked past it when arriving. Absolutely loved our stay - room was stylish & comfortable. Breakfast buffet was fantastic. Roof terrace was relaxing. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Piazza San Marco was only a 20 minute walk away. I also recommend visiting the Accademia - astonishing works of art.

If you want a trip on a water taxi, for the experience, the hotel offers a courtesy water taxi to Murano. Your own guide will then take you to see a glass demonstration (& their showroom!). A water taxi will then take you back, but we preferred to take a look around the island and see some more glass so we got the water bus back (6.50 euros). We had gone on an excursion (pre-booked on internet) to Murano the day before & were disappointed that it was a hurried affair. The factory/showroom the hotel arranged for us to see was much better, higher quality & no pressure!

We were amazed at how easy it was to walk all round Venice, & if you feel you can manage a walk to the 'top' along the Fondamenta Nuova, there is a great restaurant there called Al Alvise. In the evening it was filled with Venetians - we were the only english-speakers there - it was far enough away from tourist hotspots in the evening, once the water bus service had returned tourists to whence they came, to become a local.

2  Thank Paula H
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Hotel is very convenient by Academia Bridge, and Vaparetto station. Rooms are excellent, with tall
ceilings and modern decor. Very quiet area, and hotel breakfast is to a good standard.
Staff were very kind and helpful. Wifi is free for certain period.
Would definitely stay again. Best to deal direct.

Room Tip: If you want views, these are limited, but a few look down walkway to Grand Canal. A/C units are goo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
serandreica'pisani, Owner at Ca' Pisani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

dear 2Wayfarers,
thank you very much for your nice comments. the entire staff and I are looking forward welcoming you again in the future.
I would also like to point out that the wi-fi is free for the entire stay of our guests: the small machine providing usernames and passwords (compulsory in Italy) is just set to have a certain validity: 2 hours (we usually give these tockets to bar guests), 2 days and 5 days. but for people staying longer of course we will be delighted to issue more tickets. and they are all free...we just ask to our guests if they wish to leave a 1 euro coin in a 'piggy bank' to devolve to 'Emergency', whose leader, Gino Strada is doing a lot to help civilians in countries devasted by wars.
thank you very much again, then, and please do not hesitate to get in touch with me directly in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Really enjoyed staying here. This was our second trip to Venice as we were were here for the Biennial - our last experience was a very small, dark, basic hotel near the Rialto Bridge - The Ci Pisani made a welcome and refreshing change. We decided to stay in an area we had previously 'discovered' and booked the Ca Pisani based on Tripadvisor recommendations. We were not disappointed. This was a relaxed, friendly hotel which was beautifully presented. The staff were professional and helpful if we required assistance. The room was light and airy and a reasonable size by Venice standards. My only two niggles (and they were 'only' very small niggles) - the wardrobe was in a space sited under the stairs, which was a little difficult to get in and out of as my husband and myself are both 6ft tall! and there was only a wall dispenser with a basic hair/body wash (from Lush) in the shower. This product contained Parabens so bring your own toiletries! (Note to Ci Pisani - some good quality bath/shower products would have been much nicer with separate hair and body wash please). The room was clean, with robes and slippers provided and had a view of the rooftops - even from the shower. The rooftop garden was a great facility to enjoy a drink or coffee after a long day. We were opposite the steam room but didn't use it, therefore i am unable to comment on it. The breakfasts were good with a range of continental style foods to suit the wide range of nationalities visiting - it was the first time i had had nut cake for breakfast too! - delicious The staff here were pleasant, efficient and made great coffee :) The ONLY negative thing I would say about this hotel was it's association to it's sister hotel called 'La Carvella'. We decided to eat (on the Ca Pisani's recommendation) at La Cavella restaurant one evening. This 'association', in our experience and opinion, is not doing the Ca Pisani any favours. The food at La Carvella was unappetizing, boring, quite corporate and bland and the staff were verging on the pompous. I have had much better quality food in both the Riviera (just around the corner from Ci Pisani - excellent food and service) and from a small, local Venetian style restaurant called al vecio Marangon which was also excellent and less than half the price, even with our discounts (10% as we were Ci Pisani customers and a refund on the bland - in fact inedible, starter). Maybe Ci Pisani should review its association with La Cavella and team up with a more creative, exciting restaurateur . Apart from this, our stay was great. We would highly recommend this hotel, good price by European standard for a 'boutique style' hotel and good facilities, great location and one where we could relax. Thank you Ci Pisani.

Room Tip: We had room 32 :)
1  Thank deleggi

dear Deleggi,
thank you very much for your review which I read a few days ago. before answering, though, I wanted to get some useful infos regarding the soap, and this is the reason why it took some time.
well, you were very happy about your stay, and this makes me and all the staff very happy, too...: we all hope to have the pleasure welcoming you again in the future.
honestly, I was a little bit surprised by the comment on the soap by 'Lush': in fact, I sent the product to an external laboratory to be examined and they absulutely tranquillized us. according to them, in fact, the components of the specific product we utilise in the soap dispenser in our showers respect the rules decided by EU. I also checked - out of curiosity - the products of another brand we use, and they, too, contain parabens which in Italy (and Europe) are legal. we have chosen a specific product ('Happy Hippy') which can be used for both body and hair, but next time you come and stay with us, please do not hesitate and ask for some shampoo: we will be delighted to give it to you, along with a specific bath foam (with parabens, though).
regarding the comments on 'la Caravella', I am deeply sorry you did not like it: as you can read from the comments, though, including the last ones which have been published in the last few days, clients eating there are usually satisfied about their experience. I do not want to compare the experiences you had in the other two restaurants, because it would be unfair, being three restaurants with completely different characteristics. next time, please ask me and I would be delighted to suggest other places which - I hope - you will like.
all this said, thank you again for the comments, and do not hesitate to get in touch with me in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We really loved this hotel! The decor is quirky but stylish and the service was great from the moment we arrived. All the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly. On arrival we were given a guidebook and invited to a 'Happy hour' that evening where we were given a drink and offered an array of lovely canapes. Reception was more than happy to help when asked to book restaurants and taxis. We also got 10% discount when dining at their sister hotel. Our bags were taken to our room and on leaving they were taken to the water side for us. There was a good selection of food for breakfast each day. The only small gripe we had was that when we returned to the hotel on the Saturday evening at about 10.30pm, we were told we couldn't sit outside or in the bar but they could serve us drinks in our room or in the lobby - we really wanted to sit outside and thought it was a bit early to close the bar. That aside, it's a lovely place and we would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a superior double room which included a large bathroom with separate bath and shower and had...
1  Thank TheMightyRams
serandreica'pisani, Owner at Ca' Pisani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

dear TheMightyrams,
thank you very much for your nice review. the staff and I were very happy about the fact you enjoyed all the aspects of the hotel. and we really hope to have the pleasure welcoming you again in the future.
regarding the bar, we actually stop serving outside (during the warm season we have some tables also outside) at 10.30 pm, because we try our best to make our guests whose rooms overlook the facade (and consequently the bar/restaurant) can sleep like babies!
but - as it was told you by the waiter - we serve drinks either inside, or in the hotel lobby until 11 pm.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Returning to Ca' Pisani I found the hotel to be every bit as lovely as I remembered. The service is excellent – all the staff we encountered were friendly and efficient – and everything seems to work very smoothly. The decor is great; the mix of contemporary and deco works really well and provides an welcome antidote to the excess of traditional Venetian interiors.

The breakfast buffet is excellent – I particularly like the DIY orange juice and the delicious cake – be prepared from envious stares from passersby if you eat outside (worth it for the opportunity to watch the city wake up and start the day) and the café/bar is also an excellent location for an early evening Aperol spritz (something my friend and I discovered a couple of years ago while staying at a different hotel).

The easiest route to the hotel from Marco Polo is the Alilaguna waterbus to Zattere (about 80 minutes on the blue line; not speedy but arriving in Venice by boat is great). From there it's a very short walk with no bridges to cross. Laguna, just by the waterbus stop, is good should you need an aperitivo while waiting for the waterbus back to the airport.

The hotel has a roof terrace which is small but nice with interesting views (if you're up there at night and see a string of lights in the distance, the answer to the 'what's that bridge?' question that may pop into your head is 'd'oh, it's a cruise ship!') and a few sun loungers (plus shower). There's a sauna which I've yet to use (and consequently can't rate on here) and there's no swimming pool (this is Venice; if you want a pool head for hotels on the Lido or the Hilton on Guidecca) so I've no idea why that's showing up asking to be rated.

A stay at Ca' Pisani is certainly not the cheapest way to see Venice, but in my view it's well worth the expense. If I possibly can, I certainly plan to stay here again on my next visit.

Room Tip: Having a rather lovely glass staircase made our duplex room feel like real luxury and had huge windo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ann J
serandreica'pisani, Owner at Ca' Pisani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

dear Ann J,
thank you very much for your extensive and detailed review. when you -as well many other guests - come more than once for us is a huge satisfaction because this means that you all loved your first stay.
I absolutely agree with what you wrote, and you made me smile with the comment on the ship lights...
I would only like to add, though, that for swimmers who look for lane swimming pools, I suggest the Rari Nantes public swimming pool at Sacca Fisola (on Giudecca island): they are open from mid-September trough June with a quite extensive free swimming hours.
the pool on Lido island (hotel Excelsior) is open to the public , but quite expensive, the one at the Hilton cheaper, but not really for swimming 'fanatics', and the one at Cipriani only for the hotel's guests.
as for all other requests, the staff and I will be delighted to give all infos you may request.
well, we really look forward welcoming you again in the future...and in the meantime thank you again for the time you spent on writing the review.