“Beautiful on the Inside, But why Volkwagen billboard on the Outside”

Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo (San Zanipolo)
Book In Advance
US$106.62*
Rialto Market Food and Wine Lunchtime Tour of Venice
US$89.85*
and up
Skip the Line: Morning Venice Gondola Ride and Walking Tour with St Mark's...
US$62.30*
Morning Walking Tour of Venice Plus Gondola Ride
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Another beautiful church with lots of history. Special chapels to St. Dominic, and others illustrated with magnificent paintings. Taking the vaporetto to the hospital stop may be preferable to long winding walk from the Rialto. The piazza outside the church is large with a variety of restaurants as well. But that billboard?

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Enjoyed Sunday mass, checked out the artifacts, and enjoyed the church. The priest was especially warm and welcoming.

1  Thank A G
Reviewed 8 August 2014

It's very picturesque but a bit packed with tourists in July. Everyone coming to Venice has to visit this place.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

S. Giovanni e Paolo Basilica is impressive. You will need up to an hour to visit it. It is not so close to the ''center'' of the city (St. Mark's Square) but if you have time, go there by all means. Please note that it closes, differently than the other churches, at 6pm. And it is not part of the Chorus pass.

2  Thank DanielaKLI
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The first time we were in Venice was 27 years ago, when my husband was attending a conference there. My then 4-year-old daughter and I wandered around Venice without a map while he was in the conference, and one day we stumbled on this church. I thought it was beautiful inside and wanted to take my husband there when he had free time, but I wasn't able to find it again. Fast forward to 2014 and we finally returned to Venice (without our daughter). With the help of the Internet, I was able to locate the church and take him to it. I was afraid it would not live up to my memory, but it did. Although there were other tourists there, it is far less crowded than the main tourist areas, and the neighboring square seems to be a hangout for local moms and their children.

Although we didn't get gelato at the Rosa Salva Gelateria Bar that is in the square, we were happy to find that they had decent WC facilities that you could use without buying something. Just walk in to the left of the gelateria counter and turn right--the toilets are in the back and are free.

6  Thank freedshop