“Noisy rooms and poor internet service”

Hotel Royal San Marco
Ranked #204 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This hotel is a stone's throw from Piazza San Marco and has friendly staff and a great breakfast room going for it. But I stayed there during a work trip so having a quiet room and good internet was important for me. Even though I switched rooms I never did get either. My first room was by the stair so I heard people coming and going at all hours like they were walking through my room. Then I moved to a quiet corridor but the plumbing is set up so that when anyone in the vicinity flushed their toilet I heard a waterfall in the wall and thought water would come exploding through. Also one corner of the wall was covered with mold which was a bit smelly. For the internet a wireless service shows up in your browser as their hotel service that you can buy for 10 Euros a day but I couldn't get that to work and was then told buy the front desk that it doesn't function any more. Instead they rent you a unit that you pay the same for but I tried several of these and none of them worked well enough to even download simple graphic files let alone streaming video.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,146)

Reviewed 21 February 2014

The booking was offered as a 2 night stay prior a Costa Magica cruise. It was my first visit to Venice and I had reservations about carrying my luggage across bridges. The hotel provided me in advance with the directions which was appreciated - although I was a bit sceptic about the time they gave to reach the hotel. What a surprise... just as we crossed the first SMALL bridge, it was in our faces. The booking in process went smoothly (it was a Saturday afternoon). We had a suite on the first floor with the windows open on a 'inner" square. The room had lots of storage and was spacious. It was very quiet, despite the location so close to the St Marco square. The suite had stow away kitchen facilities for "self catering". Although I did not see any pots and pans. The breakfast room was in an adjacent building with a great ambiance. Lots of glass decorations to admire. Self help type of breakfast and a wide variety of food and good service, ie filling up supplies,. We had a bit of misunderstanding about the inclusion/ of the breakfast but it was settled in a professional way. At the reception they provided us with a local map which was very user friendly, and helped to find the Realto Bridge easily. - a few minutes walking from the hotel. We also found a small restaurant close to the hotel that did not charged extra for seated dining. A good location for when you have limited time, ie close to most of the major attractions. If you can afford it, don't hesitate. We made use of vaporette transport for all our excursions.

Room Tip: The room was close to the lifts/stairs but the traffic did not bothered.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MIMSPretoria
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I went to Venezia all by my own and something I appreciated from the beginning was that the hotel helped me arriving and didn't weight on that I was single traveler, as some other places do. Though I booked just an exec room the hotel decided to upgrade with a suite. You must have the experience.. I entered in the huge place with three rooms (Kitchen, livig room and lovely bedroom with also huge bathroom) and immediately regretted not having booked for more days. Check out the pics and you will also see the super nice terrazza overlooking the Rio.

The suite is in the Residence side (an annexed building) and the breakfast room is in the ground floor, also overlooking the Rio. The building has a lift. The breakfast was delicious and though there was a small misunderstanding on my identity with the personnel, it was cleared very soon. People of reception are also helpful in general.

Lastly, the location........ oh my God. The hotel is located just one-small-bridge far from the very entrance (one of them) to Piazza San Marco. Venezia was flooded when I arrived and it never stopped raining but you know... that increased the adventure and enriched the experience somehow. I will repeat this experience some day and will ask for a suite, budget permitting :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dariel
Reviewed 29 January 2014

we got a great deal on this hotel by booking via Olotel. It was out of season but £65 a night including breakfast was really cheap for Venice never mind the fact that we were a stones throw from St marks square. we arrived early in the day and asked for a room with a canal view as high up as possible. We even had a room with a small balcony. The room itself was quite small but it was clean and the the room service was daily and early done while we were having breakfast. The breakfast was typical Italian cold buffet but was OK for setting you up for a days walking round Venice. The staff were friendly and even supplied us with an umbrella on the one rainy day we had.

Room Tip: High up for quietness, canal view for quaintness and room 404 has a balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doug P
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My dream was to travel to Venice and it was like a dream. My daughter and I arrived in Venice end October 2013. Getting to the hotel was a little tricky with suitcases over one of the smaller bridges but we managed with the help of some lovely Canadian boys! Lovely hotel. Best location, 1 minute walk to the square. The room was small, cosy and clean. Staff were very helpful. Everything is concentrated in this city. So many shops and restaurants tucked in narrow spaces.Two days was not enough in Venice. Highly recommend taking a walking tour of the city if you are pressed for time.On the last night we sat at one of the outdoor restaurants in St Marks square( Quadri Alajmo), had a coffee and listened to the wonderful musicians. .Be prepared to pay more for everything in Venice, but it's worth it. If you are arriving or leaving by train and you don't want to struggle on the stairs at the station there is a ramp on your left as you leave the platforms. There is an exit and a gentle slope that leads to the water bus area.
My new dream is to return to Hotel Royal San Marco and explore more of Venice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Me and my husband stayed in this hotel for 3 nights as part of our honeymoon trip in Dec. It is no doubt the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. The room that we were given was very very small with very tiny and extremely smelly bathroom. Venice is beautiful and very very romantic but throughout our stay in Venice, the worst part everyday was to come back to the smelly room... The reception staff was not friendly at all and when we complaint about the smelly bathroom and our room we were told that no other room was available and thus had to bear the same room for three days.. While our stay we also found other guests complaining on the reception about the smelly and unclean bathrooms. The only one positive point about the hotel is its location which is right next to San Marco square but I donot think its matters much as Venice is a tourist location and have many hotels in the same location... I would never recommend this hotel to any one.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nash162
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Had a great three days in Venice and this hotel is in an excellent location right next to San Marco square. We asked if we could have a room with a canal view and this was no problem. The hotel is clean and its decor is to a high standard. We enjoyed a good breakfast overlooking a small canal. Overall an excellent stay and great value.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple