“Wonderful hotel and staff”

Hotel Royal San Marco
Ranked #203 of 385 Hotels in Venice
“Wonderful hotel and staff”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We visited Venice in August and were lucky enough to find this gem of a hotel. It is located just off of St Marks square and is in easy walking distance of many sites, shops and restaurants.

The rooms are a bit dated, and the beds feel like they have been slept in for 20 years, but it was actually quite comfortable. If you are able to upgrade to a larger room you will be thankful that you did. The economy rooms barely have room for both you and your luggage.

Breakfast is served daily and it is an amazing spread. We were very surprised by the amount of options from which to choose. The coffee was fantastic, but of course all coffee in Italy is better than US coffee.

The staff were very helpful and pleasant to deal with. The hotel stay includes a trip to Murino to see the glass blowing. This should not be missed.

Overall a great hotel. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vacationfamilyof4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We were very lucky and managed to get a fantastic suite with a lovely view and balcony over the canal ... despite what I have read here - the staff were very easy to approach and were happy to give suggestions for dinner when asked. Breakfast selection was good and check in and out was very efficient. Especially grateful for the porter who helped get our bags up to the room!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We love the whole feel of Venice including this hotel with the beautiful decor of our room. The reception staff on arrival were pleasant enough, did what was required, certainly nothing above and beyond their job description. No friendly advice or suggestions on where or what to do etc. The room was lovely. On our ladt morning after breakfast we did a couple of last minute things. My parents were stayimg in another room and took our children back with them to start getting ready to check out while we finished shopping. We checked out and headed for our transfer meeting point. My 8 year old son asked if we got his ipod from off the bed where he had been playing with it that morning. Both my husband and I didnt remember packing it but we had no time to go back. We checked all the rooms and under the beds but didnt pull all tje blankets back to check in the beds. I told my son we would go through and check the bags once we arrived onto the cruise ship and if we left it at the hotel it would call them to get it back. It was not in the bags so I called the hotel that night and was told to call back the next day which I did. 3 times I called and the staff were so rude and said no ipod and kept telling me to ring the next day. I dont believe any staff were bothered to check with house keeping like they said. I ended up emailing them when I had internet access and was told it wasnt left there. I told them I know it was and the room number, the bed, the date we checked out. The responses to my emails were brief and just brushed me off. So upset that my son was so upset about not getting his ipod back. Very disappointed! I will never stay there again and I will make sure anyone I know going to Venice never stays there. I am informing our travel agent who booked us there about it as well so she doesn't go through them again either!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank KNJ5

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The location is perfect. It's about 30meters walk to Piazza San Marco and St. Mark's Basilica, 5 minutes walk to the Bridge of Sighs and 10 minutes walk to Rialto Market and Rialto Bridge. The room is very spacious, yet the bathroom is a bit crammed. Wifi is not accesible in the rooms. A plenty of choices for breakfast. The staff are not friendly nor approachable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent, 20 metres from Saint Marks Square and brilliant access to all boat services. The rooms were of a good standard; clean, well decorated and the maid service was very good. Breakfast was of a good standard and plenty of choice. Go early though because it started to get very busy around 9 - 9.30. I would use this hotel again due to its location and price.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

1 Thank Chris G
California
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I booked this hotel through Hotwire and was really worried about it upon then reading reviews here. However, I was pleasantly surprised by my experience. The hotel is indeed in the perfect location, just off of Piazza San Marco and walking distance to the Doges Palace. I found the staff to be polite and courteous. The room we were given was more like a suite which was huge considering we were only two people. The room was very clean although some of the furnishings were a bit worn. The bathroom, as expected in Europe, was small. The air conditioning worked efficiently. There was a full American breakfast every morning that was quite good with lots of options. My only problem was the wifi. You had to go out on a back patio with very few seats to use it. That's the only place in the hotel that it worked which I found to be unacceptable. Overall, my experience was pleasant and I fell I got my money's worth.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My first visit to venice it was amazing every corner we turned there was a suprise we stayed for three nights but we didnt see everything,st marks square was amaizing but be aware of people trying to sell you things they try forcing things onto you even when you say no. the gondalas are a must it is so relaxing. the hotel was nice clean and comfy breakfast was very good the only thing that was dissapointing was there was no facilaties in our room to make tea or coffee also when i asked for an iron I was told they didnt provide them even though it said in the brocher in our room we should ask at reception appart from that everything was good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends