“Fantastic location and wonderful rooms”

Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo
Ranked #28 of 385 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I travelled with my mum who is waiting a hip replacement and wanted a hotel easy to get to the ferry this hotel is on the grand canel and you can see rialto bridge and the stop was just down from the hotel with wonderful views so you cant beat the location and the rooms were lovely just as the photos on the website, Venice is not cheap but I thought this hotel was worth the extra splurg to treat my mum and have a convienient location

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 September 2009

Palazzo Sant'Angelo is a fabulous hotel with much to offer... convenience, luxury & cleanliness. What I liked most about this hotel was the decor of our room... classic venetian style with beautiful wallpaper and two windows that opened right onto a side canal off the Grand Canal. The lobby, which has beautiful marble floors, opens up right to the Grand Canal with a Vaporetto stop less than 20 yards away... you can't beat that! We chose not to even use the Vaporetto and walked everywhere from the hotel...perfect location. The complimentary breakfast was also a nice incentive...a beautiful dining room with a wait staff and buffet style breakfast. While it is a nice and luxurious hotel, I'm not quite sure why it was THE travelers choice for most luxurious last year. Irregardless, I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

I found three downsides to this hotel... the lack of a lift, the cost to use Internet and the size of the rooms. The latter of the three is what bothered me the most considering there were two of us with a sizable amount of luggage so we found it difficult to move around...even the bathroom was small. The shower in the bathroom was rather awkward and caused us to splash water everywhere but that was not a big deal.

A tip... I booked my reservation through www.kayak.com (it ended up taking me to www.skoosh.com) and I obtained a rate far cheaper than what the hotel website requests. The rate from kayak was even much less expensive than that off hotels.com or expedia.

1  Thank Salmantino6884
Reviewed 27 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel fo 4 days in September 09 and found it to an excellent and very clean hotel. The location is brilliant, not up near the busy/touristy Rialto bridge area but all within walking distance. It is on the (airport water bus route) - the water bus stops within 10 meters of the hotel (great when you don't know where you are going and are lugging bags!) It is very quiet and pretty. I loved it and will go back there to stay with my Mum who is coming to visit me next year. The breakfast though is the only downside, it was very disappointing - the breads are frankly awful and not a good range available. It is not a cheap hotel so I think they should offer guests a lot better breakfast.

Reviewed 24 September 2009

I spent one night in Venice with my boyfriend, and was delighted to have found such an amazing hotel. We arrived very early, tired from our overnight travel and hot from the humid August weather, and was welcomed by a cool, air coniditioned hotel with the friendliest staff. The hotel wasn't fully booked, so they upgraded us to a Junior Suite, which was above and beyond my expectiations. The suite overlooked the Grand Canal and was incredibly romantic. My favorite thing about this hotel was the location. You are a bit away from St Marks, but everything is a short walk away in Venice so it really doesn't matter (although the narrow/winding streets are confusing). It is so quiet in this area because there aren't millions of tourists running around. The other bonus is that there is a water bus stop right outside the hotel, which makes getting to/from airport and train station very convenient. Some may say this hotel is a bit expensive.....but if u can splurge in one city, let it be Venice. You can save yourself a ton of money if you skip the gondola (130 euro an hour!!!!!!!) and take the water bus instead of the private water taxi from the airport (90 euro vs 13 euro). Breakfast was one of the nicer ones we had in Italy. Enjoy!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We recently spent a weekend at his hotel. It is in a great location in Venice and our room did have an amazing view of the Grande Canal, though at a high price. We were disappointed with the breakfast - the bread was very poor and the toaster the slowest I've come across.

Mostly the staff were very helpful, especially those in the breakfast room.

The thing that really grated with us was around internet access. We were keen to use the internet, mainly to check in and print boarding passes and were very shocked to be told that there was a charge of three euros per hour to do this. Given the high cost of the rooms, this gives such a poor impression. We found an internet cafe instead.

The bar was very expensive and we would agree with previous comments that the 'nibbles' offered with drinks were poor quality.

Overall we were disappointed, especially given the very high cost of the room.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2009

This hotel is situated on the Grand Canal with it`s own private jetty which is great when arriving by water taxi as you do not have to manage your cases up and down narrow streets and bridges.We had a small very quiet twin room with a courtyard view. The beds where comfortable with lovely soft fresh linen. Fab modern bathroom with hydro- bath which was great to revive you after a day of sightseeing. Excellent central location for all the main attractions. All the hotel staff where very professional and spoke excellent english. My only complaint would be that the rooms had no facility to make tea or coffee. Had a lovely 4 days here and we really enjoyed sitting out at the front on the hotel in the afternoon with a bottle of wine watching the world sail by.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 9 September 2009

This hotel gets great ratings and they are well deserved.

We stayed for 4 nights, arriving at the train station and taking the vaporetto (water bus, #1 line - local) to the Sant' Angelo stop. How wonderful to find the convenient location wasn't wishful thinking from some copywriter's pen! It's hard for me to think of a $560 room as a great value, but the rules are different in Venice. The location simply cannot be beat -- Venice isn't that big to begin with, but you have most of the major sites within a 15-minute walk.

We stayed in a junior suite with a courtyard view. It was quiet as a tomb, with double-pane windows that opened for ventilation. The bathroom was modern, with double sinks and while not spacious by American standards, a darn sight better than 90% of what you find in Europe.

The breakfast buffet was acceptable for a hotel of this class -- a normal central European continental spread, with bacon and scrambled eggs for the British and American guests (the eggs were not warm, so be aware.) The hotel has a small lounge with canal-side tables for a drink or nightcap. There's no restaurant to speak of, but given its location, that's not a problem.

The staff had lots of recommendations on dining locations and is up to date on tourist site status, and their map is reasonably detailed enough for you to find your way through the habitrail that is Venice.

The staff is extremely accommodating and goes out of its way to make the guests comfortable, and this spirit affects everyone on the staff from the chambermaids to the general manager.

All in all, a great place. If there was a restaurant that matched the rest of the hotel, it would be a 5-star for sure. We will definitely return.