“Wonderful again”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Brisbane
“Wonderful again”
Reviewed 12 October 2009

I stayed in this hotel a little over a year ago and returned with my wife prior to commencing a med cruise. This time I splurged on a grand canal suite which while not cheap is worth every cent. Revisiting the scene of a past great experience is usually fraught with the peril of disappointment but not on this occasion. This hotel is in such a great location. So sonvenient to almost everywhere in Venice (even on foot-but easily using the vaporetto stop at the front door) but also so quiet. A drink at the bar or at a table on the embankment overlooking the grand canal in the late afternoon is simply fantastic. The service is good and the staff friendly and helpful. The rooms are perfectly decorated and the bathrooms a marble dream. Again I very highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AntipodeanAbroad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Florida
Reviewed 10 October 2009

The service was great, and the rooms were roomy and comfortable. I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Camberley UK
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I travelled with my mum who is waiting a hip replacement and wanted a hotel easy to get to the ferry this hotel is on the grand canel and you can see rialto bridge and the stop was just down from the hotel with wonderful views so you cant beat the location and the rooms were lovely just as the photos on the website, Venice is not cheap but I thought this hotel was worth the extra splurg to treat my mum and have a convienient location

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Palazzo Sant'Angelo is a fabulous hotel with much to offer... convenience, luxury & cleanliness. What I liked most about this hotel was the decor of our room... classic venetian style with beautiful wallpaper and two windows that opened right onto a side canal off the Grand Canal. The lobby, which has beautiful marble floors, opens up right to the Grand Canal with a Vaporetto stop less than 20 yards away... you can't beat that! We chose not to even use the Vaporetto and walked everywhere from the hotel...perfect location. The complimentary breakfast was also a nice incentive...a beautiful dining room with a wait staff and buffet style breakfast. While it is a nice and luxurious hotel, I'm not quite sure why it was THE travelers choice for most luxurious last year. Irregardless, I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

I found three downsides to this hotel... the lack of a lift, the cost to use Internet and the size of the rooms. The latter of the three is what bothered me the most considering there were two of us with a sizable amount of luggage so we found it difficult to move around...even the bathroom was small. The shower in the bathroom was rather awkward and caused us to splash water everywhere but that was not a big deal.

A tip... I booked my reservation through www.kayak.com (it ended up taking me to www.skoosh.com) and I obtained a rate far cheaper than what the hotel website requests. The rate from kayak was even much less expensive than that off hotels.com or expedia.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Salmantino6884
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel fo 4 days in September 09 and found it to an excellent and very clean hotel. The location is brilliant, not up near the busy/touristy Rialto bridge area but all within walking distance. It is on the (airport water bus route) - the water bus stops within 10 meters of the hotel (great when you don't know where you are going and are lugging bags!) It is very quiet and pretty. I loved it and will go back there to stay with my Mum who is coming to visit me next year. The breakfast though is the only downside, it was very disappointing - the breads are frankly awful and not a good range available. It is not a cheap hotel so I think they should offer guests a lot better breakfast.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 24 September 2009

I spent one night in Venice with my boyfriend, and was delighted to have found such an amazing hotel. We arrived very early, tired from our overnight travel and hot from the humid August weather, and was welcomed by a cool, air coniditioned hotel with the friendliest staff. The hotel wasn't fully booked, so they upgraded us to a Junior Suite, which was above and beyond my expectiations. The suite overlooked the Grand Canal and was incredibly romantic. My favorite thing about this hotel was the location. You are a bit away from St Marks, but everything is a short walk away in Venice so it really doesn't matter (although the narrow/winding streets are confusing). It is so quiet in this area because there aren't millions of tourists running around. The other bonus is that there is a water bus stop right outside the hotel, which makes getting to/from airport and train station very convenient. Some may say this hotel is a bit expensive.....but if u can splurge in one city, let it be Venice. You can save yourself a ton of money if you skip the gondola (130 euro an hour!!!!!!!) and take the water bus instead of the private water taxi from the airport (90 euro vs 13 euro). Breakfast was one of the nicer ones we had in Italy. Enjoy!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We recently spent a weekend at his hotel. It is in a great location in Venice and our room did have an amazing view of the Grande Canal, though at a high price. We were disappointed with the breakfast - the bread was very poor and the toaster the slowest I've come across.

Mostly the staff were very helpful, especially those in the breakfast room.

The thing that really grated with us was around internet access. We were keen to use the internet, mainly to check in and print boarding passes and were very shocked to be told that there was a charge of three euros per hour to do this. Given the high cost of the rooms, this gives such a poor impression. We found an internet cafe instead.

The bar was very expensive and we would agree with previous comments that the 'nibbles' offered with drinks were poor quality.

Overall we were disappointed, especially given the very high cost of the room.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple