“Great position but that's it”
Review of Hotel Lisbona

Hotel Lisbona
Ranked #170 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I don't normally leave bad reviews but this room was a huge disappointment. The room was smaller than I could ever have imagined, we had to take it in turns to walk around bed. Bed was a very small double and bathroom even smaller. Shower overflowed onto the floor every time we showered and carpet had white marks on it(don't want to even think what it was, eeeww) I didn't feel comfortable walking on carpet with out shoes on and the pillows on bed were so flat I think they were as old as the building. The whole room felt icky....didn't sleep well for 2 nights and couldn't wait to leave. The breakfast was the worst we have had in all of Paris and Italy with no fruit, just croissant cereal and cold meats. I'm not that fussy but I do like the place to be clean and this one was in need of an overhaul. Night staff wasn't very friendly but day staff were very helpful. Only thing this place had going for it was the location. Paid way too much for what I got but paid up front so had to suck it up...would I return, unfortunately not

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet D
Hotel_Lisbona_Venice, Manager at Hotel Lisbona, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

We are sorry that the guest was disappointed, but would like to clarify that the carpets are cleaned regularly, and the stains referred to are the result of a recent bleach spill, and not any sort of dirt, and will be replaced after high season has passed and the room closed for the time necessary.
The plumbing problem in question was reported on a Saturday evening, though the shower was correctly functioning upon preparation of the room for the guest's arrival, and unfortunately a plumber was unavailable until Monday morning to unblock the drain which the guest had somehow clogged upon their first use.
We gladly provide our guests with extra pillows (which are substituted regularly, none of our pillows are old) upon request.
Also, we would like to specify that our breakfast includes fresh breads and brioches baked here in our own oven every morning, a selection of yogurts and cheeses, fruit juices and a selection of coffee drinks, teas, hot and cold milk and hot chocolate, as well as the items cited. We also try to provide for special dietary needs if possible if we are advised with adequate time.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Lisbona

Reviewed 7 September 2013

This hotel is in a perfect location,slightly difficult to find the first time . We had room 24 and loved the canal view. The hotel is very old which we found appealing, but it does mean no lifts and rooms and bathrooms on the small side. Staff were helpful and friendly. Breakfast area small. Any negatives of this hotel are compensated by location,also excellent coffee at breakfast.

Room Tip: Definitely request canal side room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alittlewordinyourear
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Booked my room many months in advance, Jan for an August trip. I Neglected to see the none refundable / cancellable note, so I accidentally overbooked my room when I realized that I needed to change the date,... I booked another room before cancelling the original one. I recognize this was my error, however Christian the manager refused to release the extra rooms and I had to pay for them, even though I could not use them. I could understand if I had tried to cancel them close to my arrival date but this was way back in January! Booking.com did try to reason with him on my behalf but there was no interest, rip off the traveller and move on, who cares is clearly their attitude! So I ended up paying for 7 rooms\nights and only using 2! Hotel Lisbona is inflexible and had no cause to not release these rooms and not force me to pay for rooms that I could not use. Even the reception desk staff could not understand how this could be happening. Other than this the place is ok but the rooms are like closets, 18 inches between twin beds. You can find better value elsewhere!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Fanny2001
Hotel_Lisbona_Venice, Manager at Hotel Lisbona, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Between the end of January and early February, the client made three separate non-refundable reservation, all of the most economical category available (which also corresponds, not surprisingly, to the smallest rooms). Our hotel contacted Booking.com immediately upon receiving the second reservation, 6 days before the third reservation was made (non-refundable as well) suspecting a simple mix-up, and Booking.com presumably contacted the client as well. The client also extended the original reservation by one day (total three days) several days later, after the third reservation, which again required verification with us from Booking.com, at which point the anomaly was pointed out again by us to avoid any misunderstanding, and confirmed that it was the client’s intention to extend her non-refundable stay by an extra day. She further modified the second reservation (for two of the nights she is contesting) in late July to request separate beds, further indicating that she was intending on staying the entire time. All three reservations had separate reservation numbers, so her interaction with Booking.com indicates clearly that the client knew of all the reservations from the start.
We did not, however, after that point, receive any further communication until the refund request shortly before her arrival (NOT January). She did not cancel any of the reservations at any point, and at no point was it made clear to us that the stay was for only two nights, and not five consecutive nights (the stay foreseen by two of the three reservations) or that the two reservations were duplicates with different, overlapping dates, particularly since the client herself made a specific request in February (after the other two reservations were correctly charged and registered) through Booking.com to modify the original non-refundable reservation to include a fifth night at the end, and thus it seems the client simply changed her mind, which unfortunately is not foreseen with the greatly discounted non-refundable room rates, as is clearly indicated at the time of reservation.
We do not hide the fact that there is a notable difference between the standard double rooms and the superior rooms, but being in a building that was constructed several centuries ago there is nothing which we can do to change this. The room rates for the different categories clearly reflect this difference, and at no point (particularly months in advance) do we force the standard rooms, which are also without a canal view, upon any prospective client. Many clients are quite happy even with the smaller room and no special view, since being located in the most central heart of Venice, within literally three minutes’ walk of Piazza San Marco, the clients often end up passing much more time enjoying the beautiful surroundings of Venice than in any hotel room.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

as a location its good , but rooms are very small and the hotel does not have a lift , aria for breakfast was very small and you have to wait others .. but bathrooms are clean .. staff hospitality is good , location from the water bus is ok , just 5 min walking

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We had a lovely stay In This quaint boutique hotel. We decided to go for a room with a canal view and were not disappointed. The view was great. The location is superb you are a stones throw from st marks square. The rooms are tiny and the breakfast isn't amazing but your in Venice so it doesn't matter.

Room Tip: Definitely get a canal view with your room if the budget allows!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 16Waimea
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I booked this hotel as I had read pretty good reviews about it. My boy friend and I are 21 & 22 and have very high standards as we come from Australia and we were told to take into consideration that European hotels are not always what they say - this was that.

Upon entering our small, dingy and dark room we were exposed to a mouldy smell immediately. It was like someone had not been in this room for years. The room was the size of my laundry with no comfortability to move freely. The bed had a layer of DUST over it and as well on top of the bed head. This was the worst part for me. Who the hell is there cleaner and do they know the definition of cleaning? I think not.

We wanted to stay away as much asa possible so we tried to come home every night late so we didn't have to spend time in here. The only good thing about this hotel is the location and this is it! I would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GemmaBandiera
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

PROS: Friendly staff. Great location. Decent breakfast of cereals, juices, cake, rolls, meats and a coffee machine. Air con in room. Rooms cleaned daily to fantastic standard. We stayed in room 22 and it overlooked a canal. Tiny balcony meant that only one person can stand out there. Great to see te gondolas going past with accordian and tenor.

POTENTIAL CONS (though didn't annoy us): tiny bathroom. Shower had little power. Tiny TV tucked away up high in the room. Only 5 tables at breakfast area (just get there at around 8am and you'll be fine). Big flight of stairs and no lift. Only given 1 pillow each.

Overall, a very good hotel. I would return but would not like to spend more than 3 days in that particular room.