“Nice hotel”

Ca' Valeri
Ranked #153 of 462 Venice B&B and Inns
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I had mixed feelings about this hotel. So I will try and break it down for you the best I can. We had the room on the very top floor, (please note this hotel does NOT have a lift). Which had its pros and cons, but the pros outweighed the cons. The top floor room does not get in-room wifi but it does get its own terrace! Which is SOO AMAZING! We sat outside every day and ate wine and cheese and played cards! Especially since the rooms are so small it was nice to have our own private outdoor space to expand! There is very small window of opportunity for check it…we literally got lucky because I did not realize there was not someone at the front desk 24/7 before checking in. I would suggest checking in around 3ish, there always seemed to be somewhere there around that time. When you check in you are given two keys, one for the hotel itself to get into and one for your room. It seems like a pain but it was actually really secure so no weirdoes could just walk into the hotel whenever they wanted. I happened to be sitting in the lobby one day (for the wifi, since our room did not have it) and I had to check in a couple myself since there were no employees working at the time. Thank gosh I was down there because the poor couple wouldn’t have been able to even enter the building because they did not have their key yet!

The hotel is hard to find, bring a map with you and make sure it has the names of every small surrounding street on it or you WILL get lost. The hotel is in a GREAT location. Short walk to St. Marks and the walk is right on the water. It seems far away on the google map I brought but it is not! There are restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies, coffee shops, etc right around the hotel! It is FAB! The hotel also includes breakfast and if you don’t go down and get it in time between like 8-10am they will bring it up to YOU! It is SO nice! The staff is really nice though their English is not too good, so if you need a water taxi or suggestions they will not be the ones to give it to you. I would try and make sure you do not get the room on the first floor…it seemed like it would be the WORST. It is right across from the main door to the hotel itself, seemed loud to me.

Ok so the room, it is very “Venice.” Older, bright colors, etc. Now, I usually don’t get allergies too bad…but this place is a NIGHTMARE if you have asthma or allergies! I am telling you, bring an inhaler AND allergy medicine with you! Thank god we packed some because some nights I could barely breathe. I think the Venice itself has a lot of mold from the water but the room had padded walls with fabric over them and when I would hit the wall huge PUUFFFSSS of dust would burst out. The horse blanket they use for a comforter probably didn’t help either. The room was nice though, the bathroom is small…but that’s what you get in Italy. The toilet itself is SUPER skinny, like you are only fitting one cheek on. So if you are overweight or have a nice big booty…I would NOT suggest this hotel or try and get a different room than we did.

Overall the hotel was nice, it did the job. Good breakfast, friendly staff and GREAT location.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iiilucky1iii

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Ca Valeri is a great little hotel in a great location and I couldn't have asked for a better room to stay in for the weekend.
As long as you follow the instructions on how to find the hotel from their website - you'll have no problems. We arrived late afternoon and were greeting over the telecom , let in to the hotel and there was a key waiting for us. I was expecting this having read other reviews and it was fine.
Our room (302) was beautifully decorated, very authentic and had a jacuzzi in the bathroom. Everything was clean, plenty of space and the bed was very comfortable.
The breakfast was basic but it was nice to have a coffee and some juice in the morning - we were called in our room at 10am to see what we would like.
I would definitely stay in this hotel if I were to visit Venice again and I will be recommending it to friends and family for sure.

Room Tip: 302 is decorated beautifully and has a jacuzzi in the bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S126
Glasgow
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Our stay was okay. Room A30 had a funny smell but was quite nice. 2 single mattresses pushed together though. Near bars and vaporetto stop at Arsenale. Although later at night the vaporetto stops at the two stops either side of Arsenale so you have an extra few minutes walk, but not a huge issue.
Close to sites of venice but away from the tourist crowds.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Nice, France
Reviewed 19 January 2013

The hotel is very small, when you arrive late the key are waiting you on the desk.
The room is decorated like in the picture, and are nice. It's not big luxury but it's very correct for the price !
Bathroom is very clean, and seems quite recent.
Heater is working very well (very important because we were freezing outside).
Bad point about the room is the view, it's just awful view on nothing (don't hope to have a nice view on the canal).

The breakfast is very correct. ( 1 cappuccino, 1 orange juice, 1 small bred, 2 butter, 2 jam and 1 stuffed croissant per person )
The very good point is that the breakfast is in the room ! And the staff was so nice, that the girl called us at 10 am (last time for breakfast) to know what we wanted.

You have to be warn that you have to pay tax 1.25€/per day/per person low season and 2.5€ high season. - bad surprise even if it's not a big deal !

Basically, I would strongly recommend this hotel to young couple like us who don't want to ruin themselves in a fancy hotel in Venice.

Room Tip: The picture I have uploaded is the room 202
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mat G
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2012

We stayed here for one night in September. It is a tiny little hotel and not the easiest to find (but well worth it when you do!). Make sure to read and print the directions from the hotel website. It is in a fab location, only a short walk away from Arsenal waterbus station, and the Bridge of Size. It really is in the mix and its location has the perfect Venice vibe of little hidden walkways. Our room was absolutely beautiful and very clean. It has an old fashioned but grand decor, and a huge comfy bed. We also had a jacuzzi which was a nice surprise! I think there are only a small number of rooms, each with their own character/decor (so perhaps each room is quite different - I would have loved to have had a look!). The staff were very hospitable, although I think myself and my partner should have learned a little of the lingo to help us get by! The breakfast was bread, cheese and pastries. It was just nice for a light on-the-go breakfast. I would certainly stay here again. It is great value for B&B in such a fab location. Absolutely cannot fault it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lauren H
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Sadly this was a dreadful disappointment. When we arrived at around 7pm we were greeted via an intercom telling us to find our key on the bench. A faceless welcome indeed. We collected our key and then had to go down the little alley to our room. It was horrible - looked like a dorm room - in fact it even had a double bunk down one end. The walls were all scuffed from furniture, the doona/bedspread was dirty and threadbare, the television would you believe it was an old portable cathode ray tube one sitting on a low table with the aerial stuck in place with sticky tape! The room had one window covered with some scrim curtains - which kept falling down! They even fell down in the middle of the night. Not that having them up did anything to help as there was a bright streetlight right outside and scrim didn't stop the room being bright all night. Very difficult to sleep. Safe also did not work. Breakfast was ok. Bathroom shower door did not shut so we ended up with water all on the floor and the top of the shower had some sticky gladwrap style wallpaper on the wall covering up who knows what - very unsightly and tacky looking. I definitely would not recommend this place. I've been to lots of hotels all around the world and this was dreadful. Probably a 2 star but no higher.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TerryleaR
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We have just returned from three nights in this value for money hotel. Previous reviews we read before we left warned us it was difficult to find, however, armed with a good map and getting off the waterbus from Marco Polo at Arsenale, we arrived with no problem. It was ten at night so reception was locked with no sign of anyone, but after ringing the bell, the owner (over the intercom...in perfect English), buzzed us in, told us where to find keys and directed us to our room at the end of the alleyway.
From other reviews we were a little worried entering number 30, but were pleasantly surprised with our accommodation. A bit quirky, never had patio doors in a bathroom before! The room was clean and warm, bed comfy and towels white and fluffy. Another reviewer mention a musty smell, but these comments were obviously noted as we had 2 plug in air fresheners so no problems there. Oddly there is STILL a cupboard full of televisions ?? Plenty drawer space for 3 nights though. Breakfast was continental and adequate, usually served in a courtyard but at this time of year it is delivered to your room, so breakfast in bed....nice!
This hotel is in a perfect location, bars an restaurants on the doorstep and San Marco a pleasant 5mins stroll away. Day of departure we had to vacate our room at 11 but could leave luggage at reception and were given a key to get back in for collection.
This was our third visit to Venice and for a cheap (Venice standard) hotel this was perfectly adequate, we got what we paid for and had no complaints. Yes there are better places to stay but I doubt you would get much better in this great location for these prices. A note for first time visitors save a few euros for your city tax bill on departure from your hotel. We paid 15 euro city tax on check out.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple