“Perfect start to our stay”
Review of Ca' Valeri

Ca' Valeri
Ranked #155 of 482 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We started our trip to Italy with Venice and two nights at the Ca'Valeri B&B. This is situated close to the Arsenale Vaporetto stop and we found it quite easily. On arrival you ring a bell and give your name and the door is buzzed open - your keys are then left on the reception desk - all as we had been told. Our room was on the second floor and was lovely - very Venetian and the corner bath was great - there is no shower but there is a shower attachment in the bath. The breakfasts are simple - tea/coffee/juice with croissant, french toast and cake. Nothing fancy but it did the trick. The weather in April was kind and we were able to eat in the small courtyard at the back of the B&B - if the weather is poor then there is a table and chairs in your room and your breakfast is brought to you. There is free wi-fi and someone available to answer any questions in the morning. It was clean, tidy and perfect for our short stay in Venice - about a ten minute walk from St Mark's Square.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed at this nice little B&B for three nights in May 2013. I was a little bit apprehensive before arriving because some of the reviews already here gave me cause for concern, but having stayed there now I'd like to address a few things:

- It's a B&B really, not a hotel, so don't expect round-the-clock service. Was not a problem for us - the owner was around when we arrived, we settled the bill the day before we left and left the key on the desk when we left for our early morning flight.
- There is a room you might not want to stay in (I don't remember the number). When we arrived we were given the choice of upgrading from our standard double to another, larger room. While larger, the room was not as nicely decorated, had a bunk bed in the corner and a generally odd smell - so we stuck with the original option.
- The hotel is not that hard to find - we followed the directions on the website and found it no problem. But it helps to know the entrance is actually down a little (dead-end) side alley from Ramo dei Corazzieri.
- Breakfast was pretty good actually - cereals, yoghurt, croissant, bread, cheese, coffee, juice, even a nice selection of tarts. Not nearly as basic as other reviews had me believe!

In the end, the service was nice and the location is excellent. I'd definitely consider staying here again next time I travel to Venice, but I'd make sure I'm not in 'that' room!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matt L
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

We did get lost but it's Venice and the walk was pretty - we had emailed for directions but the owner didn't respond - on arrival we were not greeted we had to ring a bell give pur name and the door was buzzed open - so we were left to own devices - no instructions or pointers - we found breakfast by chance - simple juice coffee and croissant with salami ps £5 if you have more than 1 coffee - staff not friendly but okish
Area good and enjoyed the visit
Room was lovely but could have done with water or tea facilities

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I had mixed feeling about the place.

The hotel is really close to the Arsenale vaporetto stop. So it's easy to get here from the airport or the railway station. Although people would have some difficulty finding the hotel. It's easy to get lost in the lanes of Venice and there's no sign board for this hotel. It was a good thing the owner was out for a smoke when we were looking for the hotel because we could have spent an hour in the same area without finding the place.

The rooms were nice and spacious but wi-fi is only available in the reception area and not in the room. That meant we had to do a lot of planning for sight seeing in the reception rather than in the comfort of our room.

Checkout is at 11:00am and check-in is at 2:00pm (it seems to be the norm across most of Italy as we stayed in one place where the checkout was 10:30am). This is fine but what we didn't like was the constant phone calls starting 10:55am asking us to check-out. They called us thrice within 10mins even after I requested them for a few minutes the first time they called. I forgot my jacket in the hurry and only realised this the next day. What riled me was that I had returned to the hotel at 4:00pm on the day of checkout and no mention was made about the jacket. They would have obviously found it if they had cleaned the room that day. If it wasn't cleaned then I don't understand why we were hassled so much to checkout within 10mins.

The gentleman at the reception was perfectly nice and spoke good English, which was very helpful but the lady seemed to be in a permanently bad mood. She couldn't speak English and we couldn't speak Italian. When we politely tried to explain something to her, she got exasperated within no time.

Breakfast was alright - coffee, toast, croissant and juice.

Venice is a ridiculously expensive place and this hotel is one of the affordable ones. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the place and the negatives I mentioned can be easily corrected. I hope the management would work on it.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seshank25
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I had mixed feelings about this hotel. So I will try and break it down for you the best I can. We had the room on the very top floor, (please note this hotel does NOT have a lift). Which had its pros and cons, but the pros outweighed the cons. The top floor room does not get in-room wifi but it does get its own terrace! Which is SOO AMAZING! We sat outside every day and ate wine and cheese and played cards! Especially since the rooms are so small it was nice to have our own private outdoor space to expand! There is very small window of opportunity for check it…we literally got lucky because I did not realize there was not someone at the front desk 24/7 before checking in. I would suggest checking in around 3ish, there always seemed to be somewhere there around that time. When you check in you are given two keys, one for the hotel itself to get into and one for your room. It seems like a pain but it was actually really secure so no weirdoes could just walk into the hotel whenever they wanted. I happened to be sitting in the lobby one day (for the wifi, since our room did not have it) and I had to check in a couple myself since there were no employees working at the time. Thank gosh I was down there because the poor couple wouldn’t have been able to even enter the building because they did not have their key yet!

The hotel is hard to find, bring a map with you and make sure it has the names of every small surrounding street on it or you WILL get lost. The hotel is in a GREAT location. Short walk to St. Marks and the walk is right on the water. It seems far away on the google map I brought but it is not! There are restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies, coffee shops, etc right around the hotel! It is FAB! The hotel also includes breakfast and if you don’t go down and get it in time between like 8-10am they will bring it up to YOU! It is SO nice! The staff is really nice though their English is not too good, so if you need a water taxi or suggestions they will not be the ones to give it to you. I would try and make sure you do not get the room on the first floor…it seemed like it would be the WORST. It is right across from the main door to the hotel itself, seemed loud to me.

Ok so the room, it is very “Venice.” Older, bright colors, etc. Now, I usually don’t get allergies too bad…but this place is a NIGHTMARE if you have asthma or allergies! I am telling you, bring an inhaler AND allergy medicine with you! Thank god we packed some because some nights I could barely breathe. I think the Venice itself has a lot of mold from the water but the room had padded walls with fabric over them and when I would hit the wall huge PUUFFFSSS of dust would burst out. The horse blanket they use for a comforter probably didn’t help either. The room was nice though, the bathroom is small…but that’s what you get in Italy. The toilet itself is SUPER skinny, like you are only fitting one cheek on. So if you are overweight or have a nice big booty…I would NOT suggest this hotel or try and get a different room than we did.

Overall the hotel was nice, it did the job. Good breakfast, friendly staff and GREAT location.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank iiilucky1iii
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Ca Valeri is a great little hotel in a great location and I couldn't have asked for a better room to stay in for the weekend.
As long as you follow the instructions on how to find the hotel from their website - you'll have no problems. We arrived late afternoon and were greeting over the telecom , let in to the hotel and there was a key waiting for us. I was expecting this having read other reviews and it was fine.
Our room (302) was beautifully decorated, very authentic and had a jacuzzi in the bathroom. Everything was clean, plenty of space and the bed was very comfortable.
The breakfast was basic but it was nice to have a coffee and some juice in the morning - we were called in our room at 10am to see what we would like.
I would definitely stay in this hotel if I were to visit Venice again and I will be recommending it to friends and family for sure.

Room Tip: 302 is decorated beautifully and has a jacuzzi in the bathroom.