“Great hostel”

Ranked #30 of 216 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hostel owner Alex was brilliant throughout my stay, cooked for a bunch of us and stayed late for me to arrive well past the check in time. A very clean place and great location. Map on arrival and the fact that only I think 10 people max can stay allows for a great sleep. Those of us who did enjoy halloween kept quiet and then went out to allow others to sleep.

Fully recommend if travelling alone

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank rsb134

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Love this little hostel.. Really friendly and helpful staff - on entry gave us a map and highlighted all the must sees and where everything is in relation to us. Shared bathrooms but only with a couple of people as small hostel and are kept clean. Really pretty rooms, clean. Really easy to get to from airport, only a few mins walk once of the water bus. Great location! Supermarket next door, bars/restaurants along waterfront, not too far to main restaurant areas etc. definitely reccommend this hostel to other travellers.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here at the beginning of our interail trip in Italy and had a great experience overall. The staff were really friendly and welcoming and the dorm rooms were spacious. Breakfast was ok but not a large variety. The hostel was clean and there was a huge supermarket less than a minute walk away for all those budget travellers. The only downside would be that we had to wait nearly an hour for the hostel owners to arrive so we could check in, and the room stank of salty sea water that took us a while to get used to. Other than that I would recommend this hostel as a good stop off for a couple of days, but maybe not any longer as the rooms are pricy! Also when arriving to the hostel, I would take the waterbus number 2 from the stop by the bridge not far from the station called P Roma to S Bascillia, and the hostel in a 3 minute walk from there (take a right from the waterbus stop, pass billa and the hostel is on the left down a side alley). You can buy one way tickets from any tobacco shop and remember to always validate your ticket before you step on to avoid getting a fine. It's much quicker this way and less tiring.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Amiaheartley
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Great place. Magnificent view through the bedroom windows!
No breakfast, but you can use the kitchen. There is a supermarket right next to the Hostel.
The bathroom was new and clean. Hot water in the shower. There was also free bath towel available.
I felt at ease. I felt like home really.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights from 21 July to 23 July. It's facing the sea so the view is amazing especially at night. The staff was very friendly and helpful. He explained where to go and what to do at first, offered anything to us and tried to spend time with us when I was exhausted by hot weather and taking rest at the hostel. Max is a very funny guy and I enjoyed spending time in Silk road with Max.
Also, the hostel is very clean maybe because it's almost new. It's not very big so there are not many people in the hostel.

Room Tip: I was staying in a female room. I liked it very much!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Silk Road was awesome. Max was very helpful upon my arrival and the room and bathrooms were all very clean (not a given in hostels!). My bed was comfortable and I had no difficulties sleeping. The location couldn't have been better either, it was beautiful along the water and the view was spectacular (again, not a given in hostels). The only downside was that breakfast was a little unpredictable. My first morning there was a lot of fresh fruit, but the second there was only bread, pastry and cereal. However, this is obviously a hostel so I was not expecting a gourmet morning meal! A great value, very comfortable and highly recommended for budget-conscious travellers, or any traveller interested in making new friends.

Room Tip: I stayed in the female only dorm.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Chalons-en-Champagne, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

This was a really nice hostel situated in a beautiful and central area of Venice. From my bedroom there were excellent views of the water. The ambiance is lacking slightly as there is no common room with lots of people and it definitely suits people who prefer a quiet, comfy stay. The bedroom was comfortable and it was good to see single beds rather than bunk beds. It did get a little hot at night but I'd prefer that than cold.

Included in the cost is a free breakfast which was good and kept me going for a few hours. The kitchen is small but nice and allows travellers to cook if they want to. The staff were helpful to me and answered all my questions but the map I was given was a bit outdated and old fashioned.

Overall a pleasant stay and I would certainly stay there again if I returned to Venice.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends