“Great location!”
Review of Locanda Ca' Amadi

Locanda Ca' Amadi
Ranked #37 of 476 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Ca' Amadi is very charming. My husband and I loved the location. It is away from Grand Canal, which is extremely busy. Free internet access which is a bonus. The cost of our stay was great. Breakfast was included.
We stayed in a suite which was nice, but the noise level outside on the canal is unbelievable . I had read a couple of reviews about the noise but I choice to ignore it because I felt like being in Venice on the canal is part of the excitement, and it is until you want to sleep, then it is a problem. Unless you are a very sound sleeper, I would advice you to ask for a room that is not on the canal.
Our room was very clean. The bathroom was updated. No washcloths, so if you use them, bring your own!
My husband was comfortable with the bed. For me it was too firm, as well are the pillows.
None of what I have written is a criticism. It is to inform readers so you can decide for yourself what your needs are when you are ready to book your stay.
I would recommend Ca' Amadi. It is a great place!

1  Thank Tammy J

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This Inn is within a couple blocks of the Rialto Bridge, just off the Grand Canal, Yet it's quiet and charming with a very friendly and helpful staff. Our room was clean and comfortable and our window opened directly on to a canal. The historic significance of the building is captivating and the breakfast was wonderful. A destination and bargain in Venice.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We had four nights at Ca' Amadi from 6 to 10 April 2014. The location is superb being at the very heart of Venice near the Rialto Bridge. Like most places in Venice it is not easy to find so print off the map and have the telephone number on your mobile phone ready to ring when you get lost.
The approach looks a bit off putting but the ambiance inside is a haven of peace and quiet in a bustling crowded city.
The proprietors and staff are very welcoming and helpful, breakfast is quite adequate and the rooms are sumptuous.
We would highly recommend Ca Amadi for a Venice break.

Room Tip: We did not have a view from our room, but once inside we felt cocooned and at home The junior suite...
Reviewed 7 April 2014

History is what we went to Venice for and we were pleased with the choice of Ca' Amadi with its connection to Marco Polo. Alberto was truly helpful without being intrusive. We had the interior room, so that our windows were on the courtyard side, for us there was no noise problem. We enjoyed the canal scenes on our walks and at the breakfast table. Everything in the hotel was very clean, functional, intimate and private; it's an oasis from the hustle and bustle of the tourist scene just around the corner. You do feel like you came home when you turn the corner to get to Ca' Amadi (orient yourselves because the direction is a maze, but once you are found it, it is a gem.)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moinoue
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I was a bit surprised and disappointed at the accommodations after reading so many excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. The B&B was located down a rather deserted and sketchy street and shared a courtyard with other apartments. My security concerns were alleviated over time but my initial impressions were not the best. We had the double deluxe with a canal view. It was noisy but we did not really mind. The boats do pass right by the window though, so be cognizant of that if privacy is a big concern. We kept our shutters closed the whole time we were there.

The "double" bed was really two twin beds joined together and the split down the middle was evident. The bed was a bit hard and uncomfortable and the pillows were flat. The doors of the shower that was installed in the bathroom did not seal well and we could not help but wet the floor each time one of us took a shower. I thought the furnishings were bare and could have used another table or surface for placing my things.

I don't want to whine about everything though. The breakfast was delicious and I loved the staff. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful with dining recommendations and also how to get around Venice. I think I was mainly disappointed because of the expectations I had going into it from TripAdvisor. So I would just like to provide a more balanced review so that people adjust their expectations accordingly when choosing these accommodations.

1  Thank Shai_Gyul
CaAmadi_Palace, Manager at Locanda Ca' Amadi, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you for letting us know your comments about our guest house.
We're glad you appreciated the kindness of our staff, since making our guests feel at home is one of our main objective.
On the other hand, we're sorry you were disappointed with your expectations.

Regarding the location, I can understand your initial concerns, which are common to people who do not know Venice. But, as you wrote, as soon as you get to know the city, you understand that little deserted streets and shabby courtyards are part of its charme and uniqueness.

Our Deluxe Room faces directly the canal, so it can be noisy for boats passing by in the morning, but I cannot undestand your problems with privacy: the window is equipped with proper curtains which let the light in but prevent people seeing inside from outside.
Concerning the bed and pillows, unfortunately we cannot fulfill everybody's requirements in terms of softness/hardness as well as we cannot satisfy the requests of twin beds with a one-mattress double bed (please note that "large double bed" is a fixed definition used by booking.com which we cannot change).

As far as the shower is concerned, please apologize us for the inconvenience. Sometimes only use can reveal some problems and we wish our guests told us about them more often during their stay! So thank you for letting us know, we fixed the flaw we were not aware of.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This was the family home of Marco Polo and it has been lovingly and tastefully restored by new owner Alberto. Our room still has the original ceilings and some frescos from the 11th century! It also has heating and air-con and all the mod cons you'd expect from a good guesthouse. Some rooms face onto a canal, ours was facing into the courtyard. It was a bit darker than we had hoped for but it's still a pleasant room.

The Locanda is very conveniently located about a minute from Rialto, so very convenient for getting around, but very quiet at night.

Breakfast was more than we expected from a Venetian guesthouse, with eggs and bacon in a simple but sufficient buffet style breakfast.

But best of all was our host Alberto, who was unbelievably accommodating and friendly. He rang a restaurant for us to make a booking and he gave us directions to the airport.

Overall, this place is an extremely pleasant place to stay and I would happily go back.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are facing the canal. Check out the website before you book.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

So you are probably wondering why I didn't give this an excellent? well, I will explain.

We arrived after hours and followed the easy instructions to check ourselves in. The entry way was beautiful as was our room on the first floor, which was were Marco Polo was born! There was a mix up on the number of guests and after a quick call, everything was resolved. Lots of nice soaps and shampoos and plenty of towels. The shower was great - clean, great water pressure and it was hot - what I look for in all showers. The room was also very clean and comfortable.

Breakfast was laid out on a buffet - lots of choices and everything was excellent. The breads are picked up or delivered each morning. There is a coffee maker and we enjoyed trying different coffees, which are much better than what we drink at home.

The owner (I'm so sorry, I forgot his name) was extremely helpful with providing maps, directions and recommendations for dinner. He provided some history of the building, which we really enjoyed.

The only negative, which cannot be helped, but must be shared, is the location. It is on a noisy canal, which made sleeping a challenge. It's a double edge sword, really - you are in Venice and want to be on the canal, but then realize it is noisy. After I left, I wish I had recommended that they invest in a few good sound machines. They aren't very expensive, but too bulky for me to carry in my suitcase. That might be a good solution for the noise. It is also a little "off the beaten path" and when we arrived we were a little nervous finding our way to the hotel. We were safe, but I would recommend arriving during daylight, if at all possible.

I would highly recommend Locanda Ca' Amadi.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family