“Good location, Bad Experience”
Review of Locanda Herion

Locanda Herion
Ranked #190 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 9 September 2013

FIrst off, since we only just left there a couple nights ago, I wanted to be sure I have this review accurately.

First, the positives: the FIRST Andrea we met was extremely positive, helped us with our map and orientation, and then walked us to our room. He was quite pleasant.
The LOCATION is excellent, although we got lost carrying our crapload of luggage from the train station. Location close to everything.

I don't think I'd be this angry if it weren't for the price we paid - a whopping $170 Euros a night for a less than sub-par room. And this was with the CASH DISCOUNT.

First off - Our "private" honeymoon room had people outside the window for the most part smoking and talking, and we could see and hear them as well as they could see and hear us.

Second, which may be the case in all of Venice, I'm not sure - the floor to our room was very uneven and tilted heavily towards the public terrace. This became a huge problem when there was some sort of drain or plumbing leak that travelled through the ceiling into our side wall, and then leaked out of the floor trim and completely soaked our things and our bed. No sweat, we'll let the guys know and hopefully they can take care of it - if not take care of it, at least not charge us for any damage, if they thought it was our fault. We had a slight interchange where they insisted it was not the plumbing, but that they'd "take a look at it." We came back later on and asked if they figured it out, to which they replied, "I don't know, he did something to the room." We walked up to find our wet bed cover missing (not replaced), including a personal one that belonged to my wife, which we were told "we don't know anything about that, we'll have to inquire with the maid service." The room was dry though, so we let it alone. It even stayed dry for an extra morning - mainly because whatever room that was causing this issue, was most likely vacant for that one night.

Let's put that on hold for a moment - so we typically would lock our valuables in a safe (which this hotel did not offer), to keep the honest cleaning people honest. Along with my wife's blanket gone (which may have been an honest mistake), we WERE shocked however to find our window wide open (which led to the open terrace - anyone could have just climbed in) when we came back hours later. We shared our thought, and were met with silence.

As a side note, this place has a notice right on the door that they charge EXTRA for towel / linen service (extra $15 euros) and for maid service (something else ridiculous), but that it's required at least once every 2 days. We did not EVER have our linens changed, and the one time they did (as a result of the flood), the bed cover was never replaced.

With all these things adding up, we started taking the little things to heart. As a joke, they also said no food or drink was allowed in the bedroom, but they provided a small fridge, which we were hoping to keep our water bottles cold for when we travelled. The funny thing is, this fridge can't even hold an apple - as a side joke, we even took an apple, cut it in half, and it still couldn't fit inside. Not that this is an important feature, but now we're just laughing at hoe bad our stay was here. It's not over yet.

Our last night / morning there, it was a flood again in our bedroom, and once again was traveling up the sheets. We had had enough, and wanted out of there as fast as possible.

We gave the "other" Andrea one shot to see if he'd do right by us and apologize, provide an explanation for the security risk, an explanation for where my wife's blanket went, or at least provide a significant discount from our inflated rate (most likely from telling them it was our honeymoon). He gave no explanation, said he couldn't do anything until his partner returned (conveniently, it would be after we had to be at the airport), and after further pressing on my part, he reluctantly took off 15 Euros (this is 3% mind you), gave us some rolls and we let ourselves out the door. I did let him know I would be posting this review, and here it is.

All in all, a terrible experience. If it weren't for the first Andrea (bald one) doing his best to be helpful at the beginning, this would definitely get only 1 star. We stayed in MUCH nicer rooms for less than 30% of the cost - good thing we have all of those to remember our 2 week stay in Italy.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Nick66718

Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed at the Locanda Herion for four nights. We wanted something that was convenient and in Venice proper, so to speak, but not too expensive. Locanda Herion appeared to fit the bill perfectly, rolling in at 90 euros a night. This was my second trip to Venice and, having stayed in a 3-star hotel near the Rialto bridge before, I expected this hotel to be marginally worse. It exceeded all my expectations.

Others have pointed out the charges that apply to the hotel. The manager was careful to warn us in advance as to the checking in fees after 8pm; this is because it is a small hotel and the front desk is not manned at all times. We simply ensured we arrived early. There is a charge for wifi (5 euros for the first day and 2.50 per day thereafter), but I'm not sure how rigorously this charging policy is enforced as they nearly forgot to charge us for the one day we used! There was a sign at the front desk that said you could leave your luggage at the hotel until 4pm free of charge (checkout is at 10.30am) but we didn't use this facility.

We arrived at San Lucia train station, from which it is approximately a 10-15 minute walk. The hotel sent us directions, a map and even a photograph of the hotel which were relatively easy to follow (though watch out - there is more than one red telephone around that area!). I was surprised to read another review on here that claimed the hospitality was lacking; when we arrived, we were immediately provided with a map free of charge (usually you have to pay for one in Venice) and plenty of information and tips regarding transport and sights was provided without having to ask. In fact, we could not have asked for more from the front desk. They made excellent restaurant recommendations, provided me with advice about Venetian masks and when I had problems with my camera and couldn't get the SD card to fit in my laptop even offered their own. Outstanding service.

The rooms and lobby are fairly spacious by Venice's standards. The showers are very powerful - very welcome when you have been traipsing around Venice in August! The bed was made every day. There was a note to say that sheets were change once every three days (though I'm not sure ours was - possibly because we were only staying one extra night - but I could well be mistaken). The towels were changed once every two days. If you want an extra change, there is a charge for it. My only criticism on this front is that there could have been more places to hang towels to dry - the rack in the bathroom only fit one on and so I had to drape one over the bathroom door. There is air conditioning which can get very cold - we turned ours off to sleep, although we could have made use of the blanket provided instead.

We opted for breakfast, which was 2.50 euros each per day. I really enjoyed the breakfasts, particularly the warm jam-filled croissants, which I understand they have gone to a lot of trouble to choose. There were yoghurts, fruit, cereal, bread, cheese and jams. There were also a range of hot and cold drinks. You could eat breakfast inside or out on the terrace.

The hotel was conveniently located for vaporettos to the islands or towards San Marco, though you can walk from St Mark's, which we did several times. I found it was much nicer to be away from Rialto, which was heaving in August - it was almost impossible to move in that area.

A fabulous stay in Venice - much more pleasant than the last time I stayed. There is the odd vaguely irksome feature, such as having to pay for the wifi, but really excellent and reasonable accommodation is so hard to come by in Venice that it wouldn't knock down the rating for me. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sunburnt_Note
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Having two teenage boys with us, we needed two reasonably priced rooms and the Locanda Herion fitted the bill. The hotel/ bnb was easy to find, just being off the main thoroughfare, Rio Tera Farsetti, and was well located for easy access to main routes to the Rialto Bridge or San Marco, or to waterbus or traghetto stops. It's not far to the train station either. The rooms are not large, but beds were comfortable and breakfast was fine and included warm croissant, fruit, yoghurt and cheese - some prepack, but it was all ideal for our 3 night stay. We spent much of our trip showing the boys the beautiful sights, streets and canals of Venice, but when we did spend a little time at the hotel, we found the outdoor terrace/ patio a nice relaxing place to sit and read and have a drink. There is no restaurant, and no food or drink is allowed in the rooms.

Andreas, the manager, and other staff were very friendly. My partner and I have visited Venice many times, but we found the manager Andreas advice very helpful. Other staff were also very helpful, particularly when our daughter (who is working in Venice) came to join us for breakfast. There was a charge for this but they were very accommodating.

On the whole, it was a good hotel and very good value for money, and just right for our short family break in Venice.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Duane C
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Couldn't ask for a better location, only a 5 minute walk from the train station. The property was well kept, clean rooms, very tiny shower but other than that a good value. Breakfast was okay at best, they did offer fresh fruit which was the best thing on the menu. For the not so good about this hotel, I would say it's the unhappy manager that runs it. Very poor customer service, not at all helpful, friendly, or polite, seems as though he would rather be somewhere else instead. Another con about this place, they charge 5€ for wi-fi, 20€ for late check in and 5€ per bag if they hold for you after check out! Okay place to stay, but stay away from the grumpy manager else he may charge you for a smile!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KatherineM23
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The hotel offered a bait and switch through the website on Booking.com
The hotel said they had a pull out sofa and a queen bed. After I got a booking from the owner sharing that the room I booked only had a single bed and a twin bed. Then when I asked them about more room they offered me two rooms at an additional 120 euros per night. In working with Booking.com they were helpful and tried to resolve the issue with the hotel owner, but they were not able to reduce the cancelation fee. I had to pay the full cancelation fee of 180 euros as it was within 3 days of the arrival.
I would not recommend this hotel based on my experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Chris W
LocandaHerionVenezia, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Locanda Herion, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Dear Mr. Crhis W.
We are sorry you didn't understand that we sell
Triple Room for 3 person adult maximum.
When you told us we are 4 .. We Also ask the age
Of your child Because we can offer for free a cradle
For baby, but you told us they were 15 and 11 years old.
For italian law we can't sell a triple room to 4 person.
We simply offered another room for your "child"
We are Also always at disposal for our guest Also BEFORE to book a room
with a simple mail you could have
All the answears you needed.
Best regards
Locanda Herion

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We spent one night at this hotel. Our room was big and clean, with nice bathroom. Hotel was quite close to the railway station and there was lot to see around the hotel. Breakfast was simple. I highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adventuress83
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I spent a weekend here with my wife for our anniversary. Hotel is quite small but location is fantastic and rooms and service were very good. Quiet but within easy reach of visitor attractions and Grand Canal. I particularly like this part of Venice in the Jewish Ghetto and this is an excellent hotel to base yourself to either explore the north of Venice or to walk to the more traditional attractions, San Marco etc. The owner was really friendly, very helpful, recommended some good places to eat and visit. We ate at a resataurant just round the corner called Trattoria de Gigio. When I left my passport in the room the Owner did everything to try to contact me for which I'm very thankful for!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple