“unique venue for a unique experience”

San Clemente Palace Kempinski
Ranked #43 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Italy
“unique venue for a unique experience”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I know very well Venice (city that I really love) and the attraction to it is so strong that anytime I come to Italy I must stop here! But being honest the last three times I came I felt a certain tiredness about the thousend of tourists who rightly do not give up in visiting a such extraordinary place. For this reason I thank God when I wrote about the new opening St. Regis Venice .... a real paradise in the heart of Venice but away from the noisy croud. Starting from the moment you take the private complimentary boat that the hotel dedicates to its guests for the private transfer from and to Piazza San Marco (only 10 minutes) you feel as you are living a unique experience that just few priviliged people can enjoy. Approaching by boat the hotel you start realizing the imposingness of this real Italian Treasure. At the reception desk is waiting for you the most professional and attentive Front Desk Manager, Mr. Danesi and the always smiling and lovely assistant, Giorgio! Escorted into your room you will meet your personal Butler that never stop to cuddle you during your stay. Massimo, the Butler Manager, and Dimitrios, the Butler Supervisor, show you their passion to the guests with amenities and handwritten notes into the room offering you some complimentary services as hot drinks, shoes shine, ironing.....Don't miss the pleasure of a fine cocktail drunk at the swimmingpool and wisely prepared by the excellent Staff at the Bar (Alessandro, Antonio and Ivan) .... they want you "get drunk" of happiness!!!! At last but not the least, do not reprive yourself of a real seduction of senses orchestrated by the Executive Chef, Roberto Dal Seno, with delicacies from the Adriatic Sea. Also in this case, as it happend to me few times in the recent past, meeting personally the GM, Mr. Cellerino, I realized how his great sense of hospitality inspires all the entire staff! I will come back soon .......

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Del V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We went to this hotel in February 2012 and my partner proposed to me here. It was divine. Just have a big wallet as the food is also wonderful but very dear. Great for a small break away. Room was large and glamorous.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Disfruiting the best WIFI High speed Internet and excellent Service. I enjoyed 5 days of " home office" on this magnificent Island San Clemente working at the pool and in the sunset bar.
We enjoyed delicious pasta and Cabernet vine at the Aquarello. restaurant.
It was easy to go San Marco for sightseeing and shopping by the private Hotel boat. (goes every 30 min to and from San Marco)
The staff is very friendly and attentive. I am looking forward to the opening of the new Spa and definitely come back to have another delicious San Clemente cocktail .Perfect for romance and Business and for kids.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Theina
Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Beautiful setting, nice pool although they stop poolside service at 6 pm, which is a bit early. Nice breakfast although the service still needs polishing. We loved Alexandre (the concierge)'s recommendations. Great base for a family stay in Venice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Everything from arrival to departure was truly a luxury experience.
The moment our water taxi arrived we were met by our Butler, walked us through the hotel, checked us in and explained everything we needed to know about the room functions and the hotel facilities.

The room was beautifly decorated, spacious with high ceilings. Its a great blend of modern amenities but with an elegant and classy historical feel to it. The St Regis Bed experience , Murano chandeliers, Luxury toiletries all made this a room which was memorable and charming.
We spent the first day by the pool which was lovely and quite unique in Venice to have such a large outdoor pool surrounded by cabanas.
We ate in Acquerello restaurant which was excellent food and probably one of the best views there is to have a meal in Venice.
Breakfast was first class with an extensive Buffet offering.

The hotel is perfecly located, just minutes away from the St Marks square.
There is complementary boat service with the hotel's iconic boats. The gardens are spectacular and offer some air after the crowded streets of Venice.

Service was outstanding as you would expect from a St. Regis. Having stayed in many hotels in Venice that claim to be 5* and are often let down by service, I can honestly say that The new St. Regis is the best adress
if you are looking for luxury and class in Venice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jessica M
Kent
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We are still in residence here but I wanted to review the hotel while everything was fresh in my mind and to reflect how we feel right now, today.

As previously written the hotel is on its own private isle. The hotel occupies probably 30% of the footprint and is by any standards huge. It was recently purchased, totally refurbished and is now managed by St. Regis.

The whole isle is immaculate. We've searched all over for a less than stunning vista and can't find one - there is nowhere here that isn't manicured and beautiful. The grounds include a huge heated pool with many super-comfortable sun loungers and a very willing pool attendant to get you perfectly settled.

Externally the buildings are pretty much as they were when the place was a monastery (with its own private church) - classic, elegant and beautiful. On the inside the whole place has been given a fantastic new lease of life. The reception area, huge staircases and vast corridors are truly palatial - high ceilings, grand chandeliers, rich carpeting and gorgeous marble everywhere. You could honestly mistake parts of the building for Versailles or Buckingham Palace, such is the opulence on display.

We are staying in room 332 - a grand deluxe on the top floor of the main building with amazing views of the lagoon and San Marco in the distance. Again high ceilings, huge Murano chandelier, brand new bed and furniture in the classical style assure us we could only be in Venice. The modern marble bathroom is a delight to be in and functions beautifully.

We've eaten lunch in the poolside restaurant and this was very pleasant. No complaints at all about the food which was a very high standard and lovely waiting staff that can't do enough for you.

Our days have largely been spent (after a lovely breakfast) by the pool until late afternoon when we venture across the lagoon into Venice for a bit of exploration and dinner.

The hotel has a couple of private launches - one departs every 30 minutes and transports guests in no more than 10-12 minutes to San Marco. It also returns on the hour and the half hour up until 00.40. There is something very special about arriving in Venice on board your own private launch - it has a timeless elegance and class that few other journeys can match.

Probably the most picturesque spot on the island is the churchyard which hosts the outside tables of the Acquerello restaurant and some casual seating inches away from the lagoon that laps by your feet as you enjoy a drink. It is particularly spectacular at sunset and in the evening when the gardens are candlelit and Venice twinkles across the bay.

We've been to Venice many times and never tire of its charm but we find the sheer numbers of tourists and the heat in summer can be oppressive and makes you long for respite somewhere cool on the waterside. We've stayed in other Venetian hotels such as the Excelsior on the Lido and the Molino Stucky that are very high quality and offer a pool outside of the centre, but the San Clemente has them all licked in our view. It is quite simply the most stunning setting and ambience we have enjoyed. You feel as though you could be anywhere in the world but you're on the doorstep of Venice - a perfect combination.

We have been told that the hotel is presently undergoing a 'soft opening' so we must forgive the one or two hiccups that have occurred during our stay that are really only the most minor of irritations. Three examples...

1. On our first morning at breakfast the staff seemed a little harassed, possibly short-handed so we had to find our own table and it took some persistence on our part to get served. Thereafter every other morning the service has been exemplary.

2. As I write this I have been sitting in the churchyard next to the lagoon for 2.5 hours. Lovely setting but not once has a waiter approached me asking if I would like drink. Not a big thing but I feel that in other top-notch hotels this would never happen.

3. Strangely the shuttle launch has a maximum occupancy of 12 passengers when it has sufficient space for at least 25. I'm not sure why this restriction is in place as the Westin Excelsior launch from the Lido regularly has 30 or more passengers on board. This means that you need to be at least 15 minutes early at the dock to ensure you can get on the San Clemente launch. In the hotel's defence when we've seen people turned away they have immediately laid on a private taxi for the overspill passengers. Again not a major problem but a little odd.

Enough of the negatives as I don't want to give anything but a sparkling recommendation to this place. It is truly special amongst the legion of 5* hotels in Europe. I have no doubt that in a few months when the staff get up to speed the San Clemente will outshine most if not all the others - it really is that good!

Room Tip: Try to get a lagoon view room on a high floor (3).
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank m1sog
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children age 2 & 6). 5 night stay for tourism.

General thoughts: I love the concept of this hotel. I really do. Escaping on a boat to a small "private" island after a 12 hour day in the hot noisy crowds of Venice. There are many neat aspects of the St Regis San Clemente but they are nowhere near being a 5* luxury property at the moment. I understand that they just reopened but I would have thought that Starwood’s premier luxury brand (St. Regis) would have brought its standard operating procedures to the property... I am a perhaps a bit harsh in my review but again, they are claiming to be a 5* Palace, and I am rating them based on this. Should they have claimed to be a 4* they would have perhaps fared slightly better. At best, I found the services and presentations here to be minimalistic, at best. Staff is often not on the same page, and there seems to be many things “missing” that one normally associates with a classic luxury property.

Shall we start with the in depth review?

Pre-trip...
I emailed the hotel several times pre trip and they responded in a prompt and Professional manner each time
There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there as to this property. Much of it comes from the pre-St. Regis period. Some of it comes from the hotel web site. Some of it comes from the St. Regis website.

As an example:
Although St. Regis has a best price guarantee, I booked specifically through Hôtels.com because they offered "free airport transfers" with my booking. Upon contacting the hotel, I was told this was not the case. That there was some type of misunderstanding. I sent them the paperwork showing them that according to hôtels.com, I was indeed entitled to "free airport transfers". After this, they gave in a bit and met me half way by arranging a "meet & greet" transfer from the airport but leaving me with the 130 Euro cost (including tip) for a water taxi back to the airport.

Arrival:
Transfer: We flew into Marco Polo airport and were met at the arrival area by a gentleman arranged by the hotel. I had asked that my 6 year old daughter's name be used on the sign and she got a thrill out of that. The guy helped with the luggage but needed to call for a van as we were 4 people with 5 pieces of luggage. After the 10 minute wait we were driven 15-20 minutes to a small port where we were picked up by a private boat or water taxi (I can't remember which). I don't know why we had to drive when there is a pier at the airport but ok. It was nice and the family had a good time. After a 20 minute or so boat ride, we arrived to San Clemente.
Hotel: We were met at the dock by a 2 staff members. One took the luggage, the other walked us down the pathway to the hotel, into the hotel, and directly to reception.

Check in: All went smooth at check-in. Receptionists were polite and professional. There was no line of people and therefore no wait. After the usual paperwork one of receptionists lead us to our room, explained the various features, and left us in peace. The luggage arrived intact 5 minutes later. So far, so good, so what.

Room: Room furnishings are nice Layout is ok (we had an extra bed for the 6 y.o. and a cot for the 2 y.o. so only so much can be done as to layout). What the hotel loses out on here in the 5* category is the complete lack of any type of amenity. No greeting card from the G.M. No little amenity snack. No stuffed animal for the kids. No fresh flowers in the room. Nothing at all. I have never before been to a 5* property that failed to provide these things. These are standard in luxury hotels. Other problems.... No hotel directory. Nothing. How can a guest know anything about your services and their associated costs with no directory? No laundry service form (one showed up on the 4th day). Again, how does one know the price if there is no information available?

Bathroom: The bathroom is generally well done. Separate bathtub and shower. Double sink. The toilet and bidet are offset from sink/bathing area which is separated by a door but for some reason, they use a clear glass door which kills any idea of showering/doing personal hygiene while someone else uses the facilities. Nice mixture of hand soaps, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, bathing salts and loofas. For some reason the bathroom isn't provided with washcloths. No big shock, but there were no robes or slippers for the kids (which was another let down for the girls after no treats, flowers, and stuffed animals). Upon asking reception for these items, robes were brought up but the hotel didn't have children's slippers.

Mini-bar: A jar of mixed nuts. A bag of animal crackers. Beer. 2-3 types of soda. Still and sparkling water. Geesh. If you're not going to try, why bother? Just one of many things that were quite "minimalistic" for a 5* luxury property. There was a sign stating that the minibar would be refreshed each day but low and behold, after eating the nuts out of desperation one night, I never saw another jar.

Housekeeping: While they refreshed the towels each day, the kids robes I had ordered were never replaced after the 2nd day. They were quite stingy with the soaps and as there were 4 of us bathing twice a day, it went quick. On more than one occasion we had to resort to getting body wash from the public area restroom (Don't worry, I'll get to explaining the body wash in the public restroom later). My daughter had a sandwich in the room one night and crumbs got spilled. As they were still there 2 days later, I would guess that either housekeeping doesn't vacuum daily or they do a poor job of it. As there were was no laundry service form in my room, I asked the housekeeper the price of cleaning a pair of trousers. No clue. She calls over the housekeeping supervisor who also has no clue. I had read online that the first 2 pieces were free (I since learned this was only for the butler service which was never offered to me) and I had a pair of while slacks that had gotten mud on them from dragging luggage...so..I took the chance and asked them to have the trousers cleaned. When the trousers got back the next day and it came time for billing, they suddenly seemed to remember that the cost was 17 Euros.

The iron/ironing board situation: No matter how well you pack, clothes get wrinkled. Many (most) hotels realize this and provide an iron and ironing board. As this was not in my room, I requested it when requesting children's robes. The receptionist assures me that this is no problem, they will bring it to my room and leave it there should we be out and about. After a couple hours of nothing, I go back down to reception and ask once again for the promised items. Oh no. We're bringing it up. Later still, housekeeping comes to turn down the beds. I ask the housekeeper for an iron and ironing board...No problem, can you let me finish the task I'm doing? Sure. Later still, no iron, no ironing board... Wrinkled clothes or no wrinkled clothes, we're all getting hungry so it's time to go to Venice proper and eat... We get back still no iron.... I go down in the morning and once again plead for an iron and... Guess what??? I'm told that irons aren't allowed in the rooms due to "safety issues" but if I'd like, the butler service can press all my clothes for me. She didn't mention anything about how much this service would cost but if cleaning a pair of trousers is 17 Euros, I can imagine what pressing a weeks’ worth of outfits would cost. In the end I just steamed my clothes in the shower and looked a bit wrinkled.

Breakfast: Breakfast, while decent, was another area that just seemed uninspired. The buffet is on the smallish side & half the food offering is nothing more than an assortment of pastries. For any type of real food, one must rely on the 3 types of cheeses, 3 types of cold cuts, the smoked salmon (put out with the dark “fishy tasting” flesh still attached), 4-5 cereals, 4-5 different yogurts and 5-6 choices of fresh fruit. Presentation is minimalistic with the use of plastic cases to cover the meats, cheese, and yogurts. Service, while professional and “friendly”, is a bit strained. We asked for toast 4 mornings and got it served only once. I ordered eggs over medium and got them sunny side up. Again, while breakfast was acceptable overall and I have no complaints as to the tangibles, it lacked many of the food choices and intangibles that are standard for a 5* Palace.

Bar: The bar area seem well stocked. While I never had a cocktail, I did have a nightly coffee on the terrace overlooking the lagoon. Staff were friendly and professional. While perhaps the best as to service, I once again felt presentation was a bit lacking as there was no cookie or chocolate served with the coffee. Np side glass of water either. Yes, these are a small boring little points, but that’s what makes a 5* experience, a 5 star experience.

Building: Although I’m not a huge fan of the plain pink façade, the interior is quite expansive and for the most part well done. Numerous chandeliers adorn the long, wide hallways (the wide hallways are a dead giveaway that this used to be a hospital). Decoration was once again quite minimalistic. The vitrines (normally used to showcase local merchant’s goods), were mostly empty and made the place look like a ghost town. If you can’t get enough merchants to pay for your vitrines, they should be filled with something or taken away and stored. It seemed that half the building was locked up due to lack of clients, which understandable cost wise, gives the feeling of being locked in.

Public Restroom (near restaurants): Again, half the restroom was in lock down due to what I assume were cost saving techniques. Perhaps it is standard for St. Regis but they actually had paper napkins instead of towels for drying your hands. Standard for SR or not, it has a real cheap feel to it. There was also (as previously mentioned), shampoo and body wash in the public restrooms… I can see washing your face after a meal, but shampoo? Perhaps they were going for a bit of decoration? Maybe this was their one attempt at presentation?

Grounds: Another promising area that just needs work. When we arrived the grass was overgrown & the fountains in the ponds were not working. A path to a scenic overlook was so overgrown with thistles that my daughter had to be carried up the hill. Several of these things were corrected during the later portion of our stay and presentation of grounds was much more welcoming afterwards. While we were not notified of such before our last full day, there are a couple rabbits running free over the grounds that the kids loved to chase (the rabbits aren’t petting rabbits and while of a domesticated breed, have returned to their wild and cautious roots).

Outlying buildings: A secondary building is available for conferences. There is a changing room at the pool. A pool restaurant is available for drinks and light snacks during limited hours. There is a private villa on the grounds (I’m not sure if it’s privately owned or available for rental).

Church: While it’s just a small church and not in very great shape, I found this to be a rather quaint feature of the St. Regis’ restaurant/bar terrace overlooking the lagoon.
Pitch and putt golf area: The pitch and putt gold area appears never to have been manicured as to being an actual pitch and putt golf area.

Tennis court: There is 1 tennis court, and while not busy during our visit, I’d hate to have to plan a game when the hotel is busier.

Gym: While there are several signs showing clients the way to the gym, there is no gym available (or I somehow was never capable of finding it).

Pool: The pool is nicely done with several cabanas. Pool hours are a bit conflicting with breakfast and a busy tourism schedule which is a pity. The majority of hotels that I’ve stayed in allow pool/spa usage starting by 0700 (for clients desiring exercise before breakfast) and close around 2100-2200. The SR pool is open 0900-1900.

Water shuttle: One of the best and most memorable services provided by St. Regis. It even ran on schedule most of the time. Keep in mind that many hotels off of Venice proper offer free water
Shuttles so this isn’t in fact a major point of differentiation for the St. Regis versus being part of the Venetian experience

Family services/Child care: While families are shown to be a big thing on the St. Regis website, this property doesn’t offer anything special for children. No kids club (although it’s in the works for next year). No kids slippers, one size fits all children’s robes, no stuffed animals, no candies, nothing kid friendly at all (unless you count the pool and the rabbits). I suppose the concierge could have arranged babysitting services but as there was no hotel directory available in the rooms, there was no way of knowing versus guessing.

Staff General: I found the staff’s demeanor as polite and professional at all times. I found that reception and bar were the most organized and apt to be service orientated but admittedly, they were also the least busy compared to breakfast staff and housekeeping. I have a major issue with the concierge sending us to a place in Murano that is nothing less than a rip off (if not a direct scam).

The concierge situation: Ok. Murano is known for the hard sell to tourists for their glass wares. I went to the concierge seeking a bit of refuge from this. After all, this is a luxury property that is supposed to be able to have the confidence of their clients. The tour was nice, but you can imagine my shock when the place the concierge sent us was charging 300-400% more than reputable art dealers in the U.S for the exact same sculpture( in the exact same dimensions, from the exact same artist). While I wouldn’t go so far as to saying the concierge is involved in a scam, the situation certainly hurt the hotel’s reputation as to being trustworthy.
Banqueting and room service are supposedly available at this hotel but I had no occasion to use either service.

Conclusion: Would I stay here again? In a few years to see if they got their act together? Yes. Tomorrow? No. There is a lot of promise at this property and while I fully understand that they have just opened under the St, Regis name, being new shouldn’t be “AN EXUSE” for a hotel under Starwood’s St. Regis brand. At the moment I feel there is too much of a stated lack of organization and amenities to provide a luxury experience to those seeking such. I sincerely hope this will change in the near future.

Pros:
Located on Private Island close to Venice (quiet, peaceful)
Boat shuttle included in room cost.
Pool.
Bar Terrace facing the lagoon
Large, open -spaced common areas.
Rooms and bathrooms are well done and well furnished.
When manicured, the grounds/gardens can be pleasant

Cons:
Not well organized.
Lack of amenities (no spa, gym, hot tubs, sauna’s, children’s club, etc.).
Below standard breakfast (not a bad breakfast but below standard for a 5* Palace).
No personalization (card from GM)
No room amenities.
No children’s amenities.
No children’s activities (other than chasing rabbits and the pool).
Horrible mini-bar (2 snacks, 5-6 drinks to include soda and beer but NO WINE [in Italy]?).
When left unattended, the grounds/gardens are a disaster.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family