“Another super stay at my favourite Venetian Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Igea

Villa Igea
Ranked #173 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Brighton
“Another super stay at my favourite Venetian Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

My 6 night stay in June is about the 7th time I have stayed at Villa Igea. I visit Venice about 4 or 5 times a year and this is my favourite hotel of the dozen or more I have tried. It is in a quiet location just a couple of minutes from the No 2 and Alilaguna Airport shuttle water bus stops without any bridges to carry your luggage over or from the No 1 with one big bridge to carry your luggage over.

Since I stayed there last November, I have noticed a number of improvements including in the reception area, the greatly improved terraces overlooking the San Zaccaria Church and square in front of the where it is so relaxing and comfortable to have a drink and nibbles, providing the fellow guests are not loud and using disgusting language as a group of them (Ozzie?) were on one occasion I sat there.

Free wifi worked well in my bedroom as did the aircon which was needed as the temperatures at the start of my visit were in the upper 90's. I nice touch that they had left a nice bowl of fruit and chocolates to welcome me back in my bedroom.

Since my last visit, the waiting service staff for the breakfast at Ristorante Principessa at the sister hotel Savoia and Jolanda, overlooking the San Marco Bacino and the quayside, have improved considerably. Even the pigeon problem which I remarked on in an earlier review, although not totally resolved, seemed more under control. The breakfast buffet choice was very good with innovations like being able to juice your own fresh green veggie drink.

One word of warning about the terrace, be careful as the new door leading on to is all clear glass without anything like a frosted strip to show that it is close. It is opened by pressing a button on the wall to the right of the door. On previous trips the door was a traditional handle and lock one with net curtains that you pushed to opened outward from the inside. On my first day, I thought the door was open but it was not. The very bright light outside made it not obvious that it was closed and I walked around with a bruised forehead and headache for most of my stay. I did email the management about this with the suggestion of adding a frosted strip or some other warning to this new sliding electrically operated door, but disappointingly I got no response. Even so I still decided to give them a 5 star review and I have already rebooked to return May next year.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the Chiesa San Zaccaria and be prepared for the church bells at midnight and...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

What can I say - fantastic experience! Not far from St Mark's, breakfast was fabulous in their sister hotel, our room had an outdoor terrace that overlooked the Chiesa San Zaccaria. Front desk staff where very helpful and saw that everything was to our liking, which it was! I look forward to staying here on my return trip to Venice!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights towards end of June 2014. We arrived by water taxi Euro60 from mainland bus stop(by the train station). The taxi stop (San Zaccaria) is very close to the hotel - no going up bridges etc. Once we arrived at the hotel we were put in a room at the back on ground floor- I think this was the only room on ground floor. The room was amazing very large with an excellent bathroom(no bath tub though) and a walk in wardrobe with a full length mirror. Not sure if all rooms are like this. Breakfast at the sister hotel (Savoia & Jolanda hotel) just a few doors down - on the main strip - provided a very good variety of food. Free WiFi. Venice is quite expensive - food and transport wise, but this hotel just made it somewhat better. Be prepared to pay taxi from San Zaccaria to airport of Euro120.

• Stayed June 2014
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Although quite expensive, ( but average priced for Venice) this hotel is very convenient to all the sites . The sister hotel includes a pretty extensive buffet breakfast. San Marco square and lots of shopping is nearby. It is easy to get to by the Aliguana shuttle boat. Lots of places to grab a quick snack or a more formal dinner. Not far away is a co-op grocery store where you can pick up good wine and snacks if you are going on a cruise. If you are taking a cruise there is another short shuttle boat that will take you to the cruise port.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank canadian2011
Batemans Bay, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was in a good location close to St and Doges Palace, The rooms were clean although a little dark. A buffet breakfast was provided at the sister hotel about 50 metres away, The hotel is in a small lane opposite the San Zaccharia stop. We caught the Allilunga boat from the airport to this stop and only had towalkbabout 100 metres to hotel. We did not have to cross any bridges, It is easy towalkaround Venice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

This was the first hotel on our holiday and we were very pleasantly surprised. The room while quite small was very comfortable and clean. Great location and the breakfast at the sister hotel was fantastic. The staff were very helpful and we would happily stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
San Juan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Yesterday I arrived in Venice. This hotel was very easy to find: from the airport just take the Aliguana blue line and it drops you at the S. Zaccaria stop. Get off here and just in front you will see the Hotel Savoia and Jolanda. Walk right next to it and soon you will see the Z. Zaccaria church. The hotel is right in the front of the church. It was very convenient, since I had four pieces of luggage with me ( I know; a Venice no no, but I was traveling with a kid and taking a cruise...).
Check in was at 2 pm and I had to store my luggage because it was early. St. Mark's Basilica was just two bridges away, but yet the hotel was located in a quiet place. The room was small, but I've seen smaller. Had air conditioning, a hot shower and was clean. I was able to open the windows.
It has terraces ( at least two) where you could sit and enjoy being in Venice, while you hear the church bells. The breakfast at the nearby Savoia and Jolanda was incredible. They served bread, croissants, cakes, nutella, scrambled and boiled eggs, delicious bacon, salami, serrano ham and cheese.
I really liked this small hotel. It was clean and the service was excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family