All reviews excellent location san zaccaria vaparetto stop st mark's square stair lift doge's palace located hotel san marco the air conditioning bridge of sighs minute walk main attractions first floor restaurants and shops beautiful city grand canal yogurt water taxi
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We have stayed just for a weekend in Venice and had chosed this hotel due to excellent location, walking distance to everywhere (if you like walking ofcourse). Staff was very nice and helpful; room in decent size for few days stay, very clean. Take your own towel if you do not wish use something like kitchen towel (I read it in someone else review and found it veru useful advice). Basic continental breakfast, so do not expect 'full english'. I would recomend this hotel and definitelly come back there.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank montom
Reviewed 27 May 2010

This hotel is in the perfect location. We stayed for a few nights. The staff is friendly and they are why I am giving the hotel a good rating.

My complaint: the beds are like sleeping on the floor. Both my husband and I are still suffering their effects a week later. We're both on pain meds with hurt necks and shoulders.

The beds consist of a stiff mattress (and I mean stiff) on a frame. No box-spring. The pillows are about 2 inches thick. Strolling through Venice would have been a lot more enjoyable had I been able to turn my neck.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank C_Caper73
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I spent four nights at the Antigo Trovatore and it was a really nice surprise: obviously the location is excellent but the rooms are nice, clean and quiet for a very reasonnable price. The breakfast was basic but good.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Frenchie22
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I stayed here for five nights with my wife and will recommend to everyone. Very clean and cosy rooms, furnished with style. Good breakfast. The staff is helpfull and nice. But the best of all is location - few steps from San Marco square , close to main vaporetto(public transport) station and on walking distance to all the main attractions and historic sites. Excellent place to stay in Venice!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anfield_d
Reviewed 19 April 2010

I stayed here with my partner and inlaws for 2 nights in August. We had read so much about how expensive Venice is, so when we got an incredibly good deal in this hotel, our expectations were very low. But we were pleasantly surprised. A little tricky to find at first, because it was our first time in Venice, but very central, just by Piazza San Marco. The joy of walking in through the airconditioned entrance! The hotel is clean, roomy and basic, and so was our room. No frills, but good standard, with the very important aircondition.
There is an enclosed terrace, where we sat in the evening, enjoying wine we had bought on tap during the day. (Not very classy buying it in PET bottles haha, but very tasty and cheap.)
The breakfast was basic, verging on poor.
I would definitely stay here again if I got the same sort of deal- we paid 85 euro a night for a double room, breakfast included!

I have to add that Venice itself was a positive surprise, I had heard so much about it being expensive, smelly and crammed with tourists. There was no smell at all. Transport is expensive, but buy a travelpass for the boats first thing when you arrive, it makes it easier. (We had 1 1/2 days free travel left on our passes when we were leaving, so we gave them to an arriving couple.) Anyway- you can walk most places, Venice is small, and this is the best way to experience it. There are free maps in the trainstation tourist office- very useful! Don't miss taking the boat over to the island Lido, where there is a long sandy public beach. The water is ment to be dirty, but I don't know how true that is.

Venice is full of tourists, but if you just choose the sidestreets it is surprisingly quiet. Food and drink in restaurants is expensive and not great- but the small supermarkets and wine shops are good and cheap! We asked in the hotel for our nearest supermarket, and we bought our water and snacks there cheaply. For lunch we bought something in a bakery, and had it sitting on secluded piers by the canals, feeding the fish. Very romantic, and really lovely. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family