“Great location, great staff”
Review of All'Angelo Hotel

All'Angelo Hotel
Ranked #220 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 3 April 2012

A great little hotel, located right in the centre of Venice and a very short stroll to St Mark's Square.

On arrival, the receptionist was very helpful and we were able to check in a couple of hours earlier than expected, which was appreciated after the early rise to travel. The room was also upgraded, overlooking the canal.

The room itself, was ok, slightly smallish, but this didn't matter, as how long are you going to spend in your hotel room when there is Venice to explore on your doorstep?! The bathroom was lovely, very modern, nicely tiled and the shower was excellent - the actual shower cubicle was massive!

If you do have a room with a canal view, don't expect it to be quiet in the mornings, there is always something going on outside, as everything happens by boat - whether it is a grocery/flower delivery or even building maintenance. But at least a refreshing change from not having to see cars or buses!

The lift was out of order when we arrived, but we only had hand-luggage and only located 2 floors up, so wasn't an inconvenience. We also had a complimentary bottle of Prosecco left in our room, after a day out, which was a nice surprise. We are still unsure what the 'sorry for the inconvenience' was for? Can only assume it was for the lift? Anyway, we drank it and it went down very nicely.

The breakfast was sufficient - various cereals, cheese, eggs, bacon, yoghurts, breads and loads of CAKES!! Shame there wasn't a toaster, but we got around that. The coffee and juice wasn't very good, which was a disappointment for Italy.

We sampled the Happy Hour (between 6pm and 7pm) A great idea to have some snacks provided whilst you have a drink. The Barmen were very hospitable and friendly.

But to sum up - all the staff were very friendly - would definitely recommend this hotel - so get booking!! :-)

Room Tip: Go for a room on the lower floor - just in case lift out of order.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Flapjack005

Reviewed 31 March 2012

I am writing you from my small hard bed in my tiny, shabby and worn room at the All'Angeslo. This hotel was booked as part of a tour I am on and not chosen by me. Though sold to us as 4 star accommodation, the room's furnishings are a beaten up desk and chair, two tattered and chipped bed tables, and about 1 foot of space around two nearly touching twin beds. Location is excellent, staff is very good, breakfast very good, but our room, and the rooms of others in our group, are of youth hostel quality. No temperature control, run down furnishings,13" TV, a phone from the 80's. A decent one star hotel, but a truly awful 4 star.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank mzamar
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed here on a budget in the Summer when it was humid and hot outside. The room was small but it was just me, water pressure great, on a canal with a view but the best part was the ice cold air conditioning. The breakfast had everything needed and not fancy. My accounts in the States were frozen for a holiday weekend and I found out when I went to the ATM and was with just two euros for four days. There are several restaurants attached to this hotel so I had meals and put them on my room til the banking could be figured out (someone was in Italy using my credit cards! Yeah...me!) Steps away from San Marco and easy to find. Around the alley from the internet cafe and some wonderful shops. The best pizza ever on this street for a late night snack. You get a discount when eating in their restaurants which adds up. For the price you are getting basically a three star hotel but the cold air conditioning and location made it a five star for me.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank anniedutch13
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I stayed in hotel all'Angelo during a weekend in the Carnaval this year. It was a very nice experience! The location was perfect! It is really two steps from Piazza San Marco and I could not wish better. The personal very nice and helpful. The breakfast was very good to the Italian standards. I would certainly come back!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank luanafjs
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Unhelpful desk.
Room 108, shabby shower room, noise and smells from restaurant below.
Good housekeeping, good breakfast.
Nothing else on site.
Great central spot.
Booked with BA. Great flight, good deal.

Room Tip: Pray. Speak to your agent. Maybe there isn't a good room. Sleep, eat, go.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank sparkyIsleofMan
Reviewed 19 March 2012

not exactly what one would expect for Four stars but the location was unbeatable. The room was outdated and a bit shabby as others have indicated but it was clean and met our needs! we had a canal view and plenty of room between the bedroom and sitting room and the bathroom was large. We were in 506.... High enough off canal...noise was not a problem at all! staff was fine (nothing to gush about) we'd recommend skipping the restaurant all together. plenty of great wine and food right out the door!

Room Tip: 506 was roomier than most and on the canal.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Our stay at Hotel All'Angelo was a complete disappointment for the following reasons:

- Breakfast was revolting, after the 1st morning although breakfast was included in the room rate we opted to eat out. Consisted of cold fatty bacon, oddly coloured scrambled eggs, foam textured bread rolls and a selection of poor quality cakes.

- Dirty and old furnishings both in the room and public areas

- Room had a strong smell of smoke despite being non-smoking

- Poorly maintained eg. old and damaged furniture, lift malfunctioned

- No umbrellas

- No English language TV Channels apart from MTV, I do not think it would be too much to ask to have at least an English news channel available so that one can keep up to date with what is happening in the world!

The central location is the only plus point of the hotel. Needless to say I shall not be repeating the mistake of staying at Hotel All'Angelo or either of the other two group hotels.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends