“Great hotel”
Review of Hotel La Forcola

Hotel La Forcola
Ranked #257 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Great hotel with a very helpful staff! Front desk always helpful and had great info! Located on the main drag between train station and St. Marks. Only a few blocks from water stop that takes you straight to airport for only 17 euro. Front desk can give you all the details. Good wifi so we could FaceTime the kids daily. Would stay again here for sure!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eric H

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Even it is a small hotel, it is well located, really close to the Rialto Bridge and the iconic St Mark's Square. The service is really good and the room very comfortable, not that much space, just enough. Yes, it is a basic accommodation but affordable. Good value for money!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Esteban O
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed in the hotel in June 2013. It's a typical small hotel which represents probably 90% of hotels in Venice. Small rooms, but equipped with what you need. We typically don't spend a lot of time in hotels, so for us it was sufficient. It's in a good location, which is busy but not crazy. It's very close to vaporetti (water buses) station, but otherwise S Marco square is about 25 minute walk, and it's on the other side of town. Venice is very safe to walk around any time, so feel free to explore.

To everyone who is complaining about mosquittos - Venice is on water, so it's something you would expect. Close the windows at night and you will be fine. We had very nice weather when we stayed and the windows were open. We heard some mosquittos but not enough to be a bother.

One thing I would complain about is the continental breakfast. We stayed in other hotels in Europe before of similar value, and the options at breakfast were much better.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the inside square.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dmitriy K
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My wife and I recently spent three nights in Venice and stayed at the Hotel La Forcola. We knew that it wouldn't be a luxury hotel but somewhere around average. Here are some of the little things that added up....hard bed....very little space between the end of the bed and the wall.......warm air started coming out of the air conditioning.. (workers coming to work on it while looking into our hotel window, etc......coffeemaker broke down for 24 hours and we couldn't even get boiled water for tea. We were given a bowl of warm water....gnats and mosquitoes coming into the room if the shutters are open...I could go on. However the location is good and there's a lot of activity going on in the streets. Heavy key, too...wha'ts with that?...One very nice lady working the front desk. She was great....Don't stay here. You can do much better.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights in May. Looked at hotels in the St.Marks area but the prices were sky high so searched for something better value for money but still authentic. Location is good, mid way between the station and Rialto bridge. 15-20min stroll to St.Marks, 3 mins to the vaporetti water bus (and 10mins down the Grande Canal from there). I booked a superior double room and worked out that one was on the corner with two small balconies. Although I booked via Booking.com I emailed the hotel direct via their website and requested the corner room with balconies (its room 206), and they gave it to me, no problem. The service overall was very good. Breakfast is basic, but OK. Its on a main walkway, which is safe, and adds to the vibrant vencie feel.

Room Tip: Room 206 is the one in most of the photos. Not huge, but two small balconies overlooking different...
3  Thank Sean_K24
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at La Forcola in Venice from the 2nd to the 6th of May. This was our second visit to Venice and we enjoyed it immensely. We selected La Forcola as our base because it was conveniently placed and reasonably priced. The hotel appeared clean and tidy. Our room on the 3rd floor (301) was adequately furnished with a bed, armoire, mini-bar, TV and a dressing table. The bathroom was clean and smelled fresh. The view was across a canal right under the window and across the roof tops towards the Ferrovia. There was a bridge over the canal below as well. We were pleased to see that there was an air conditioning unit but less pleased to find out that it only blew hot air. Never mind, we could open the window and enjoy the air. However, we also had the less enjoyable noise of drunken people returning over the bridge in the early hours and the sea gulls calling to each other. Added to this was the sound of the canal boats (like heavy lorries) and a builders yard about 50 metres away who started work early in the morning. Being close to the canal it was almost inevitable that there would be mosquitoes so I spent a few enjoyable minutes hunting them down and despatching them. So, safely assured that the mossies were gone the wife and I settled down to sleep. The next morning however we were scratching. I was sure that I had got rid of the mosquitoes but I figured some might have come in during the night although I usually wake up when I hear the little blighters. The next night confirmed my worst fears...Bed Bugs! The merciless creatures were eating us alive. I obtained some Antihistamine and insect repellant and we dosed ourselves up and sprayed ourselves and the room. By the time we left on the 6th we were covered in red itchy blotches. We did not let the unfortunate incident of the bugs that bit in the night ruin our stay but we would obviously not choose La Forcola again. A few other details...the breakfast was good and plentiful. The WiFi free and the staff friendly and as I have already said the hotel was very conveniently placed. Just watch out for the bed bugs.

Room Tip: Try to get one without bedbugs.
6  Thank RegClarke
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The other reviews have painted a picture of tiny rooms so I was a little bit worried as we had booked before reading reviews but we stayed in 306 and it was a decent size. Not massive but we only slept in the room so it doesn't need to be a suite! The hotel is 10/15 minute walk from the train/bus station with plenty of little pizzerias and gelato shops on the way ( the walk turns into about 30 minutes). Breakfast was included. Very basic but was nice so no complaints from us. The rooms were quiet and we even had a lovely view over the canal in front. Def recommend

1  Thank Nichola A