“not hospitable”

Ranked #255 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“not hospitable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I have just come back from staying at La forcola for the past five days and I want to give them a balanced review. So lets start with the good, firstly the price was excellent (I know its off season so there are some good deals around) and secondly by Venetian standards the breakfast was really quite good, fresh croissants instead of packaged ones and a coffee machine that dispenses reasonable cappuccinos and the cereal too was good. That's where it ends i'm afraid. When we checked in (full of enthusiasm and good will) we were given our key to room 306 took the lift (more of this later) and opened the door to what appeared to be a cupboard but no alas if was our room! it was tiny so much so that only one person at a time could walk around the bed! so off I went down to reception to ask ever so politely if an upgrade was possible, I would have paid good money at this stage, where the lady informed me, looking me straight in the eye, that all the rooms were the same size I could possibly get a triple room in 3 days time! I decided to try not to be disappointed and out we went to eat and drink. when we returned we had to go to bed, there is no other option in this room and it was then that we noticed the wall opposite was covered in swatted mosquitos!!! next morning buoyed up by my anger, I again requested a new room, this time the gentleman offered me the room next door 305 which was like a palace in comparison, at least twice the size if not more. however over the course of the next few days I spotted many similar sized rooms to our first horror. I can put up with small if it is beautifully presented, but this was just disgusting. The overall attitude seemed to be they did not really care if your stay was pleasant or not.
What is really very worrying is that at night on the third floor there is no lights, so out of the lift you walk and are plunged into immediate darkness, lucky for me my hubby had little light with him but I heard a really distressed woman one night crying out for help. There is a staircase right by the lift, somebody could die in that hotel, surely there are rules about keeping some emergency lighting on at night??!!
So to sum up, I wont be returning to this hotel, but I cant wait for my next trip to Venice. Out of the six hotels I have stayed at this is the only one I would not return to, at any price!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank minglem1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

The location is good. Comparing with most of hotels in Venice, this hotel is very close to the train station. And compare with a lot of expensive hotels, the price of this hotel is very good. There are some bad reviews about this hotel, but I think it's depends on what kind of room they stayed. We booked the canal view room. The room is exactly the same as the photo on the website. It's very good and romantic. They did cleanings very well. The staff at register desk is very helpful.

The breakfast is simple. There is no ham or any other meat. But we solved the problem. We bought ham in a super market nearby. It's very convenient and cheaper compare with spending a lot of money in an expensive hotel.
There are still mosquitoes although it's already mid October. I think it's because the whole city is in water. So it's better take a mosquito spray with you.
The washroom in Venice is very expensive, 1.5 Euro per person, I suggest not drinking a lot of water when you are out of the hotel. And if you really need go to the washroom, buy one cup of coffee in a restaurant, just 1 euro. Then you can use the washroom in the restaurant. It's cheaper this way, especially you are 2 persons.

Room Tip: canal view room is very beautiful and romantic.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lucy A
Willard, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed for two nights in late September 2013. The map on the site was poor and being our first time in Venice, was difficult to find. After more than an hour we stumbled upon it. It's actually only 10 minutes from the train station. The map they gave us when we arrived was much better. I wish I had it coming in. I understand that Venice is a very old city and didn't expect new. Taking that into consideration, the room was acceptable. I liked people watching from the third floor window. However, the safe would not work and I believe it is important for travelers to have a safe. My wife asked the afternoon desk attendant if he could help us and he just shrugged saying "What can I do?" Only after she told him that she would give the hotel a bad review, did he call her back and offer her a master key. His indifference to an important item left a bad taste. Other employees were a bit more helpful. Breakfast had a limited selection but did the job. In the end, we loved Venice and the location was great. I would probably not return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BobandHelenRideHD

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Hastings, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel is great, on a main thoroughfare right by a bridge. Nice views out of the window and as soon as you step out of the door you are near shops and restaurants, but there was no noise coming up to our room. The room was well furnished, if a little cramped, but we spent most of our time out so it didn't really matter too much. The bathroom could have done with an upgrade, but on the whole it was a very well priced hotel with a good breakfast included.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the building have a view of the canal, the bridge and the main street.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank S W
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

The staff was excellent. This hotel is 2 watertaxi stops from the train station and about 10 stops from the St Marks Square. The hotel room was very small, but very comfortable. I was only there to sleep, so it did not make a difference as long as I had a comfy bed. The value was extremely good for Venice. I would recommend staying here if you go to Venice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank NickInDallasTX
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel is very close to the train station so you can just walk if you are arriving by train. It's on the main street so it's very easy to find. The front desk was extremely friendly. The rooms are typical for the price point, small but everything was clean and the A/C was cold. There is a late night supermarket nearby so you can pick up drinks and food on the cheaper side of things.

They have a funny system with keys in that it's attached to a giant key chain and you give it to the front desk when you leave and pick it up when you arrive. Old fashioned and cool. Breakfast was average, cold cuts and cereal.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jtkappa
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Stayed here for a few days and was really impressed with the room, staff and location. We were upgraded to a better room at no extra charge. Staff were very friendly and helpful and room was a great price and easy to find from the airport.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple